stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft: Ch. III [IC] (Completed)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
OOC: The stairwell @ K12 is the one that is barred to us, correct? From looking at the map, the only choice available to us is to go up @ K14, K21, or in the main hallway ~ K8?
OOC: This is the stair at K18; K12 is not on the map. Down from K21 (the stair that also goes up to levels 2 and 3) has not been checked. You can also go up from here (K18); the stair in the entry (K8) goes up, though that seems to go to the throne room; and there are two doors that have not been explored in the room with the rotten cake where you found the portrait of "Ireena" (K37). See the note here.

s@squ@tch

First Post
OOC: ok, the resolution on the map makes it a tad hard to read the small lettering. So, if I read this correctly, we are in K15 now. To our right, is K14 and stairs going up. To our left is the K17 (or is it K18?), which leads to a stairwell that goes up and down, but the down portion is blocked off with a masonry wall. That sound right?

stonegod

OOC: ok, the resolution on the map makes it a tad hard to read the small lettering. So, if I read this correctly, we are in K15 now. To our right, is K14 and stairs going up. To our left is the K17 (or is it K18?), which leads to a stairwell that goes up and down, but the down portion is blocked off with a masonry wall. That sound right?
Yup. K17 leads to K18 (which is blocked going down); K14 leads up the way you went the first time to the second floor---it leads to the throne room.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Jarrith shakes his head as he stares at the solid wall. "No going this way, it seems." He turns around and motions for everyone to head back up the stairs to the chapel again. "I seem to recall another staircase opposite and down the hall from the dining room. Perhaps we should go there and see if that one allows us to descend?"

Last edited:

s@squ@tch

First Post
Marot the Deadly

"Yes. Yes. I had forgotten about that one -- perhaps we do not need to go up after all."

Looking around the chapel, basking in the aura of good,"I will hate to leave this place -- it is the only place in this wretched land that does not constantly attack my very soul...."

ethandrew

First Post
Ladreth had been not-surprisingly quiet since arriving at the castle. He puts a shoulder into the wall, testing its strength against his berth. Having never been in this place before he didn't quite understand the importance of this wall being here, only that its placement had caused some disappointment among the others.

Knowing his efforts are in vein the half-orc moves to rejoin the rest, his one clear eye roving the surroundings, his sense of dread filling his core. This unseen enemy was something Ladreth was ill-equipped to deal with. Place an enemy in front of him and watch his blade sing, but this, no, this frightened him.

Stormwind

First Post
Ashlyn frowns as they discover the wall blocking the stairway, and for a few moments she just stands there staring at the wall before she speaks, "Why is this stairwell blocked ... and why is it blocked partway down like this ... what is down there that we are not supposed to gain access to?"

Ashlyn pauses a moment and then turns towards Jarrith, Tessa and Ravika, "Do any of you have access to spells that allow you to shape stone? Perhaps you could prepare such for tomorrow so that we might pass this way then?"

"Meanwhile we could well continue to explore today. As Jarrith mentioned there is another stairwell by the dining hall ... let us try going down there and see where we might get to."

s@squ@tch

First Post
"So, you are saying that this wall was more recently built?"

"Hmm."

The warlock scratches his chin with his fingers.

"I could take a few shots at the masonry to see if I could put a hole in it."

OOC: Eldritch blast does 1/2 damage to objects. Per the SRD, stone has hardness of 8, hp of 15/inch. 4d6+1 (w/ PBS) eldritch blast would bypass hardness of 8 roughly ~ 40 - 45% of the time, assuming average d6 damage is 3.5...

stonegod

After a few moments blasting at the wall, there is little result of Marot's efforts other than the distribution of a lot of dust and some non-trivial amount of noise that echos up the long shaft. Examining his handywork, the warlock notices only a bit of a scar in the wall. There is, however, a very fine crack in the construction, but it is part of its original design. Just enough to let gas pass through....

OOC: After 5 blasts, 2hp damage. That'll be a lot of blasting. Its not subtle, either.

s@squ@tch

First Post
"Harrumph." scowls the warlock.

"This doesn't look like it is going to work well -- but I would absolutely love it if someone could seal that crack so any gaseous friends would have to find another route to their vile coffins. If only the Flame would bestow its skill in masonry, I would gladly spackle that crack shut." Marot was not fooled by the purpose of the cracks in the masonry.

"We'll need to going 'round and go through the entryway to find our way down."

Remove ads