• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stoneskin debate

How much damage is prevented?

• One point.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Ten points.

Votes: 39 66.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Dread Polack said:
So, I think I make a good point too.
I wasn't discounting your points. My italics on clearly weren't meant to be snide in any way, it was meant to stress the ambiguity of the situation. This seems like exactly the sort of thing that, if you're worried about it, you should ask your DM before it ever becomes an issue just so everybody's already in agreement if it happens.

I would say that by RAW, the caveat of "this spell ends after absorbing 150 points of damage..." overrides the way normal DR works. So, yes, if you have 1 point remaining, you effectively have DR 1. Its the same as any other spell that discharges under certain conditions.

Michaluk

First Post
Jondor_Battlehammer said:
I would say that by RAW, the caveat of "this spell ends after absorbing 150 points of damage..." overrides the way normal DR works. So, yes, if you have 1 point remaining, you effectively have DR 1. Its the same as any other spell that discharges under certain conditions.

Exaclty, it works just like an other spell that discharges under certain conditions. Meaning, the condition happens, then the spell goes away. When your character is hit, he has DR 10, so the hit does 10 less damage. The stone skin spell has now met is limit of 150 damage (in fact it is up to 159 damage) and discharges.

There's no need to revise an existing rule (DR) when it works just fine as written and intended. If one interpretation works with existing rules and one does not, the one that does is correct.

An additional interpretation: The discharging of the spell works like a readied action. Think of it as the spell having a readied action to end if it absorbs 150 damage. Then, resolve it like a regular readied action. You get hit and have DR 10. This is negated and puts stone skin over 150, so it discharges. But, as per readied actions, the discharging is resolved before the damage that triggers it. In this case, the stone skine discharges and winds up not absorbing any damage from the final hit!

I personally think that stone skin absorbs 10 damage on the last hit.

Dread Polack

Explorer
The Blow Leprechaun said:
I wasn't discounting your points. My italics on clearly weren't meant to be snide in any way, it was meant to stress the ambiguity of the situation. This seems like exactly the sort of thing that, if you're worried about it, you should ask your DM before it ever becomes an issue just so everybody's already in agreement if it happens.

Don't worry, I know you weren't :)

Jondor_Battlehammer said:

The quick way of saying what I said :)

It's a tricky one- luckily there's not too much at stake.

Dread Polack

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads