Stop Combining Words in RPGs! - Let English prevail

Wayside

Explorer
SUBSEQUENTLY, not germane to the meat of the discussion, some asserted that I couldn't honestly be pronouncing the words I cited as counterexamples in the way my sources say they should be pronounced, and that my speech didn't contain certain stops. IOW, that on some level I was being intellectually dishonest for the purpose of making a point in this thread.
I don't think that was implied at all. Recognizing many of the nuances mentioned in this thread takes practice. It's quite possible for an unpracticed person to not recognize the sounds they're actually making, and in fact our brains work in such a way that as we acquire a language we lose the ability to even hear certain differences unless they're distinct phonemes within that language. In any case you seem to be taking the discussion personally, so I'll leave it alone.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think that was implied at all.

Wasn't it?
Try actually saying any of those words out loud. Do you really say "buck eye" with a space there? Really? Honestly? That would be a very strange accent if you do.

Emphasis mine.

Just what does "honestly" imply there?
It's quite possible for an unpracticed person to not recognize the sounds they're actually making, and in fact our brains work in such a way that as we acquire a language we lose the ability to even hear certain differences unless they're distinct phonemes within that language.

True, but this after at least 2 assertions by myself to the contrary.

In any case you seem to be taking the discussion personally, so I'll leave it alone.

Nah, I'm not taking it personally.

5thE just made a factual assertion to the effect that I was using my own speech pattern as the basis for my counterargument, which I wasn't.

In retrospect (and reexamining my own post), I probably should have toned it down a notch and/or used smilies.

Aloïsius

First Post
Compound words for common item don't bother me, because I translate in French anyway and the "greatsword" become an "épée à deux mains". But compound words for places are a pain, because French does not work well with compound words : it sounds awkward and unnatural most of the time (it only sounds right for some combination of short words... there is no rule for this).

Pbartender

First Post
But compound words for places are a pain, because French does not work well with compound words : it sounds awkward and unnatural most of the time (it only sounds right for some combination of short words... there is no rule for this).

You mean like, "Montpelier", "Villeneuve", "Castelmoron-d'Albret", "Saint-Remy-en-Bouzemont-Saint-Genest-et-Isson", "Beaujeu-Saint-Vallier-Pierrejux-et-Quitteur" and "Saint-Germain-de-Tallevende-la-Lande-Vaumont"?

French has tons of compound words for place names... You typically use hyphens instead of butting the words up together, but it amounts to the same thing.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Any one mention "role" + "playing" yet?

I don't believe even the original theorist who defined role playing combined the two words in his writing.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Yes, but Bill Bryson is a drooling idiot.

Or droolingidiot, if you prefer.

Frankly, he's got a lot more credibility than you have. Probably more than you'll ever have, come to that.

Also, his put-downs are funnier.

Now, if you have anything constructive or funny to add to the thread, please feel free to do so.

Remove ads