• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stop me from obliterating him!

brun

First Post
Ok, so I'll start a new campaign pretty soon, and the palyers have made their characters. I've been pretty restrictive, for once, and said that I would do with wathever they came up, as long as it stayed within the limits I set up.

One of the PCs will be a bard. I have no problem with bards, they might even be fun to play, who knows! ;)

It might be good for the group, because their are :
a Human Ranger (slighty tweeked homebrew version)
an Elf Fighter
2 Human Fighters
a Human Paladin (slighty tweeked homebrew version)
a Human Chaos Mage (or wathever it is called)
and an Elven Bard

Pretty large group. Might be useful. Almost no healing magic.

But see, my problem lies here:
Str 11, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 5 , Wis 7 , Cha 16.

So, how is he gonna come up with somithing good?
Something that isn't annoying?
Something that I won't have to fight the urge to throw a GodSent lighting bolt at in the very first minutes of play?

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
I fear I have failed to desconstruct and digest the essence of the query that you wish to pose. :)

I assume you think the character would not be viable with the stats posted?

I beg to differ, though I would suggest the player be allowed to switch strength and intelligence scores on this PC, because life as a bard would be difficult, though not impossible. The thing to remember is that the PC would get at least one skill point per level, two if changed to human.One skill point is sufficient to pump up the perform skill, which is the main thing needed, but having two points would allow them to beef up perform and diplomacy.

But there are plenty of ways to portray a fast, charismatic individual with low deductive skills and common sense.

This is the kind of character who would ALWAYS be getting into trouble by doing the wrong thing or placing themselves in the wrong place, and then relying on speed and mobility to get themselves out of their jam.

I would have personally allowed putting the strength to 7, the wisdom to 5, and the INT to 11. This way, the character has a good pool of skills to work with, with a skill increase at 4th level onward. But this will still be a very viable bard, able to sling some great spells, and assist the party with healing and bossting songs. The DEX means that the character will be able to smartly use missile weapons while singing in the background, or casting spells and then getting out of harm's way.

Still quite viable, if you ask me.

Forrester

First Post
Wow. Those are retarded gnome farmer stats.

You could always let him reroll. If not, you're just going to have to deal with the Retard Bard.

I bet he'd make a good yodeler.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Me? I'd let 'im reroll the stats. His total bonus is +0, and I even think the DMG recommends letting people reroll stats with a total bonus of +0 or lower.

But maybe I'm a softy.
Daniel

Henry

Autoexreginated
I Dunno; even though he fails the PHB "viability test," I'd still try to play 'im, myself. But then, I'm a sucker for a stiff challenge. Besides that, he'd STILL make one Heck of a Human Rogue.

brun

First Post
I used the standard PHB method for the players' stats.
So the player actually chose to place the stats in this order. And he refused to the option to reroll. I'm just worried he'll be the silly annoying character that disrupts gameplay but that, since he is a PC, you loath to get rid of...

The Grey Dwarf

First Post
Henry said:
I Dunno; even though he fails the PHB "viability test," I'd still try to play 'im, myself. But then, I'm a sucker for a stiff challenge. Besides that, he'd STILL make one Heck of a Human Rogue.

A rogue with Int 5 and Wis 7 certainly is a stiff challenge.

He would be the kind to steal the lead on the roof of a house that's on fire. ;)

Henry

Autoexreginated
The Grey Dwarf said:

A rogue with Int 5 and Wis 7 certainly is a stiff challenge.

He would be the kind to steal the lead on the roof of a house that's on fire. ;)

No, but he WOULD be the type to steal the virtue of the daughter of the Local Warlord while he was at home, or the type who would hide in a jeweler's store to steal the jewels from a safe, only to need to break out... :)

In short, he'll spend a lot of time putting that DEX to work. :)

Stone Angel

First Post
Naw don't obliterate him, just encourage the player, to be a successful adventurer he is going to have to put in a little extra effort. You never know this could be a great roleplaying oppurtunity. I wonder if the other players know. If not and I were the player I would always pretend that my character had a way higher intelligence than he actually had. Like the character was always trying to impress the other characters with his knowlege. Any way just a couple coppers for my thoughts.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads