• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Storing money where?

RObiN-HoOD

Explorer
So you are a seccussful adventurer and you have acquired a great deal of money. Where can you store it? Each adventure you have to put it somewhere safe... any ideas?

Crothian

First Post
IMC the good religions also work as banks, to a degree. You give them your money and they protect it. People are less willing to rob from the churches as churches hold great power and the people are very superstitious.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
I think it is traditional to put all of your extra money into a locked chest. Then you give the chest to the next carrior crawler that comes by so that he can carry it to some random room in the nearest dungeon.

At least that is the only way I can figure out that all these critters have all these chests full of loot...

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
In medieval times, there did exist moneylenders who would perform many of the same functions as today's banks. AFAIC the two main differences are accessibility and security. (A moneylender is just one guy, not a corporation with branch offices; if you want your cash, you must travel to him and get it. And he's not FDIC-insured, so if his office gets robbed and your money gets stolen, you're out of luck.)

If your gameworld doesn't have moneylenders (or your DM doesn't feel like dealing with them), buy stuff. Invest everything you can in weapons, armor, potions, and other adventuring gear. Eleven thousand gold pieces is just a big pile of metal; a Wand of Dispel Magic is easier to carry and may save your life.

Chimera

First Post
In my last campaign, the Dwarf player decided that he would leave a rather large fortune in the hands of a bunch of zero-level (2e rules at the time) Dwarven buddies while he went off adventuring.

The player was mighty upset when he returned and found his fortune, as well as several of the dwarves, missing. He almost quit the game (and I should have let him), but I was using the whole thing as a plot hook for the next adventure - "The Search for Corm's Gold". Worked extremely well, with the Dwarf himself delivering the killing blow to the back of the fleeing bad guy. He got his money back and then some. But the player still whined about how he didn't like having his money stolen and how mean of me it was to do it to him.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
My group tends to spend it rather quickly. Scribing spells into spellbooks, making scrolls, potions, wondrous items, and wands cost "big bucks." :)

They also buy alot of those mundane and specialty items, like holy water, alchemists fire, acid, sunrods, healing salve, etc. Not to mention armor and weapon upgrades and just the plain old cost of living. Bribery costs money, too. :D

Some spells require costly components. This is another good way to lessen the need for a safe. I always liked to keep the bigger gems and jewelry. Easier to carry than thousands of g.p.

In short, as a DM I always provide plenty of ways for the players to spend their loot. And they usually do.

MJEggertson

First Post
I use jewlery too. And if something happens to my character that 'causes' the trinkets to go missing, its just more reason to go head bashing!

Gromm

First Post
Invest in a bag of holding. Every party I've DM'd or been in has done this. Even the lowest bags carry more than enough, and if you get a ton of coins convert them to higher coins or gems.
Or as someone said buy equipment with it if you can. What else are you going to do with it anyway?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads