• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Storm King's Thunder Miniatures

donperk

First Post
I think with these new giant figures, WotC is trying to get the scaling to be more correct -- or at least more in line with the 5EMM. A 26' storm giant should be 5.2" tall in 1/60 scale and make the party look like yapping terriers in comparison.

Making the "boss" giants larger may be a bit overkill (the morbidly obese Chief Ghu is actually considered Gargantuan instead of Huge), but seems to be intentional to make them even more imposing than the run-of-the-mill giants.

Intermixing previously-released giant figures with these is going to be a GM judgement call, though. I only had a few giants before -- and they look puny compared to this new batch. Maybe as someone suggested earlier, you use the runts kind of like you would goblins: make them sword fodder and pull down their stats a bit.

pukunui

Legend
How do the new giants compare to the old WotC eldritch giant (the purple guy in plate armor)? That's the biggest giant I've currently got.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
How do the new giants compare to the old WotC eldritch giant (the purple guy in plate armor)? That's the biggest giant I've currently got.

I have the Mountain Troll from that set as well as the Fire Giant and Hill Giant from SKT set.

I would say they are all roughly the same size.

As far as height:

Fire Giant > Mountain Troll > Hill Giant

The Hill Giant is the bulkiest (esp. b/c of the sack) and the Mountain Troll is the most lean.

Hope that is helpful.

Caecafortuna

First Post
In response to the question about the total number of figues in a case, you get a total of 128 figures + the King Ghu figure if you ordered your case with the incentive. (4 figs * 32 random packages)

I pre-ordered mine from Miniature Marketplace back in May and paid US$340.

Here's what my set looked like:

<<Table removed due to formatting issues.>>

As you can see, I got at least one of each non-invisible character. This was true for my Monster Menagerie case as well.

Unfortunately, your table did not come through but thanks for the info on Miniature Marketplace. I just ordered a case and can't wait to see what I get.

pukunui

Legend
Finally got my minis. The giants are rad! While the male frost giant from ToD is definitely smaller than the female frost giant from SKT, it's not *too* bad. At least the male stone giant from ToD looks to be roughly the same size as the female stone giant from SKT, even if they look very different. (I am loving that there are so many female minis in this set!)

The yuan-ti abomination is weird. It's clearly a large creature, but it's on a medium base, and due to its pose, its prone to falling on its side as a result. It also looks a little funny with its bunched up body. The image of the abomination in the MM doesn't make it look like its body is that long. I love the guy with the snakes for arms. I'm glad they did a mini for all three types of malison.

My case finally arrived
The giants are awesome
26 huge minis plus Guh
2 of each a and b giant
7 of the huge were fire giants, so nice got loads hellhounds too
Only 3 invisibles and unfortunately ten in total of the stupid npc type figures with oversized weapons
Can wait to unleash them as I start running SKT Tues 8th nov

Remove ads