• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Storm Sorcerer options. Unarmoured Agility vs. Leather Armour?

Roseweave

Explorer
I think a lot of people have ruled that Deep Shroud lets you attack out of it? I'm pretty sure there was errata that covered this a while back. I know it isn't necessarily logical but neither are a lot of "friendly fire" free parties in general. Powers like that are generally versed as giving you concealment from enemies, specifically.

Also, the cloud wouldn't really be all that noticeable at night. I think there could be an argument for situational stealth bonuses with the advantage mechanic from the DMG, if you were already in a position where stealth was possible. For example if you were casting a veil of shadows over the party in an already heavily shadowed area, you'd be (effectively) invisible. As opposed to standing out a little against the shadow, you'd just look like a darker area against it. It's the same logic behind wearing darker/desaturated clothes for stealth, I guess. AFAIK it's

Last edited:

MwaO

Adventurer
I think a lot of people have ruled that Deep Shroud lets you attack out of it? I'm pretty sure there was errata that covered this a while back. I know it isn't necessarily logical but neither are a lot of "friendly fire" free parties in general. Powers like that are generally versed as giving you concealment from enemies, specifically.

Powers say what you can do. If you have concealment from enemies, then it says so. If you'e in an area of heavy obscurement, only if it says it is enemies only does it function that way. As an example, Dark Gathering:
"Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn. The zone is heavily obscured to your enemies."

Or Drow's Cloud of Darkness:
"Effect: The burst creates a cloud of darkness that remains in place until the end of your next turn. The cloud blocks line of sight, squares within it are totally obscured, and creatures entirely within it are blinded until they exit. You are immune to these effects."

You are just as affected as your enemies are by the cloud. You can attack out, but you're at the -5 penalty unless close burst/blast/area burst or immune to concealment for whatever reasons.

Also, the cloud wouldn't really be all that noticeable at night. I think there could be an argument for situational stealth bonuses with the advantage mechanic from the DMG, if you were already in a position where stealth was possible. For example if you were casting a veil of shadows over the party in an already heavily shadowed area, you'd be (effectively) invisible. As opposed to standing out a little against the shadow, you'd just look like a darker area against it. It's the same logic behind wearing darker/desaturated clothes for stealth, I guess. AFAIK it's

You'd see a big 15' cube of blackness against a mostly dark area. Lights of any kind don't go through it. Such as say, stars or the moon or street lights, or the outlines of walls, etc...

Heavily Obscured squares block light of sight (LOS). It doesn't matter if you are in the cloud, or not. If the cloud is between you and your target then you lack LOS.

DDI Compendium said:
line of sight

A clear line from one point to another point in an encounter that doesn’t pass through or touch an object or an effect—such as a stone wall, a thick curtain, or a cloud of fog—that blocks the vision of the viewer.

Published in Rules Compendium, page(s) 313.

Of course you and your DM can rule it however you want, but by RAW, the Deep Shroud "shroud" is just as much a nuisance LOS blocker to you and your allies as it is to your enemies.

Remove ads