Story Hour - Your Favourite Story on the Boards

WizarDru

Adventurer
You can find the beginning of Sepulchrave's Story Hour here:

Lady Despina's Virtue, part the First. The only real story content is on the first page, if memory serves.

It continues here: Lady Despina's Virtue, Continued

It then goes on to the Rape of Morne, parts I and II and the Heretic of Wyre, parts I and II (or it may be in the reverse order, I forget).

My personal favorite story hours are: PirateCat's, Sepulchrave's, Wulf Ratbane's and Sagiro's Story Hours. Oh, and the two that I'm involved in (one run and one writing). ;)

Last edited:

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
There is a link to my Story Hour in my sig.

How good is Wulf's Story Hour? Well, I'm not sayin anything specific, but the thread got locked down JUST when it was threatening to catch up to a certain other story hour in page views.

Draw yer own conclusions...

Wulf

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
You promised you'd never tell, Wulf! And after I gave you my "page view macro" and everything... how could you betray me like this?

*runs away sobbing*

alsih2o

First Post
maybe it is just random luck, but when i considered starting mine i started reading others for a sense of mood and feel to inspire me. i found nothing i didn't enjoy.

some were weird, some funny and some thrilling....some were all 3.

i tend to remember favorite scenes rather than favorite stories. the basic moment that pushed me to try was in p-kittys sh when a character with an iron body quit flying and fell down through a boat onto a bad-guy...but there have been many since :D

thanks for entertaining me :)

grodog

Hero
I really enjoy Sep's Wyre stories. I find his stories far more compelling than nearly all game fiction I've read, and quite a lot of the schlock published by the fantasy/sci-fi industry.

Beyond Sep, though, I haven't branched out much. I did recently enjoy reading Quasqueton's Abyssal Invasion of Greyhawk SH, though it seems to be a rather short-lived one.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
I read these steadily and fear greatly becoming attached to any others. As I start to write these quick descriptions if they sound like wine reviews, perhaps that's a good analogy. Here they are in the order I starting reading them:

Piratecat's Defenders of Daybreak - The one that got me started. Well-rounded and fun. Creative dashes that cry out classic D&D fun.

Seasong's Light Against the Dark - Creative and imaginative. Came for the world setting, stayed for the characters.

Jester's Agents of Chaos - rolicking fun of hack'n'slash at great power. The opposite in many ways of...

Sepulchrave's Wyre series - Deep, brooding potentcy. Once you start on it, you won't have a chance. Intellectually challenging. You may want to have www.dictionary.com loaded at times. Makes me want to break out the philosophy and religion books.

There's a mixed blessing to reading these, particularly if you're a GM. Your own game may seem terribly inferior. If you can get past this, you'll find they are potentially great inspiration. I have to remember that every gaming group comes to the table looking for something different. If I was even capable of producing a Sepulchrave-like game, I don't know if my players would like it.

John

Last edited:

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
tough choice

This is such a hard question as there are soo many good SH threads out there but...active ones:

Sepulchrave's Wyre chronicles and PCat's Eversink Chronicles
Lazybone's Travels through the wild west
Wizardru's Savage Sword of Meeop
(contact)'s Risen Goddess

these are the ones that I check for to see if they have new updates regularly...

Wulf's story's were always great, they were some of the first i read here, hooked me :)

Delgar

First Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm guilty of printing out Piratecats entire storyhour and reading it to my wife. She loved Raevyn! I also did the exact same thing with Wulf's, which she loved as well (she's very Chaotic Neutral). I think in all it took us several months to read both in their entirity just before bed.

As for right now the one storyhour I check regularily (mainly because it's actually updated regularily!) is Seasongs light against the dark. It just has a different feel to it.

I wish I had the time to read them all, but I applaud all the storyhour authors for all their hardwork.

I've even just started my own storyhour which you can find here:

The Unusual Suspects

Delgar

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Delgar said:
I also did the exact same thing with Wulf's, which she loved as well (she's very Chaotic Neutral).

See, I slaughtered helpless party members, and I still never managed any better than "Chaotic Good with Neutral tendencies."

Congratulate the wife on her achievement.

Wulf

Remove ads