• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Str 52! Bite of the Werebear and Bear form + VoP

Cephid

First Post
Tetsubo said:
So... if you are Wildshaped can you be affected by an Enlarge Person or Righteous Might spell? Assuming that you are a race that can be affected by such a spell...

But, as I have reciently been informed, anything that increases your size in any way counts as a size increase and doesn't stack with anything else.
So enlarge person could target you (if you are a person) could not further enlarge you if you were a bear for example.

Do size reductions not stack in the same way? Or could a druid wildshape tiny, then reduce person to fine? fit through key holes?

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Tetsubo said:
So... if you are Wildshaped can you be affected by an Enlarge Person or Righteous Might spell? Assuming that you are a race that can be affected by such a spell...

yes, but cephid is right that if you change you size with wildshape then the spell that increases your size does not stack.

Elethiomel

First Post
Cephid said:
But, as I have reciently been informed, anything that increases your size in any way counts as a size increase and doesn't stack with anything else.
So enlarge person could target you (if you are a person) could not further enlarge you if you were a bear for example.

Do size reductions not stack in the same way? Or could a druid wildshape tiny, then reduce person to fine? fit through key holes?
There's an interpretation that says that wild shape isn't a magical effect that changes your size, but a magical effect that gives you a different form that "happens to be" a different size than you. I don't neccessarily agree with this interpretation, but you should be aware that it's out there.

Tetsubo

First Post
OK then, is there *any* way to increase your size while in a Wildshaped form?

I disagree with that ruling BTW. If you start out larger you should be a larger sized animal. And if you don't gain a larger size because you are assuming an animal form, you should be able to benefit from an Animal Growth spell. One or the other. Otherwise it's just metagaming designed to screw the class...

This is another reason to just use the Shapeshift alternate class feature...

Teydyn

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
yes, but cephid is right that if you change you size with wildshape then the spell that increases your size does not stack.
Are you sure?

You dont get an increased Size with Wildshape, you get a NEW one IIRC.

Human with Enlarge Person is Medium + 1.
Wildshaped Druid (into Bear) is Large + 1.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
It depends on how it's read.

Is Wildshape a magical effect? Certainly.

Is the druid's size bigger after the magical effect is applied than it was before the magical effect is applied? Yes.

So Wildshape is a magical effect, and the druid's size has increased as a result of that magical effect.

Does that make Wildshape a 'magical effect that increases size'? I'm not certain it does; it's a magical effect that changes shape, and the change in shape has gone from a shape of one size to a completely different shape that happens to be a different size.

-Hyp.

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Teydyn said:
Are you sure?

no. Druids have some of the most fuzzy rules out of all the classes. its up to your dm. I think all druids need housed ruled before they are playable. basically sit down with your dm and work out how druids work.

Storme

First Post
Just a comment regarding "balance."

If this whole scenario works, the NPC's can do it to. It is...ipso facto, not a problem.

As I overheard one wise DM say to his player who had a level 9 artificer with all that wand, twin, energy admixture stuff..."If it's possible for you to do 20d6 at level 9, the monsters might too...is that okay with you?"

Hehe.

Balance is only Unbalanced if the DM allows only for Players (or the Monsters...depending on the tip of the scale... ;) ).

Therefore, bro...run this by your DM. If he's cool with it, don't be too concerned. A badguy in wildshape with a 52 str, +10 hit and damage might charge your your cleric and make things interesting. It's all good.

Storme

Storme said:

If this whole scenario works, the NPC's can do it to. It is...ipso facto, not a problem.
Hardly any NPCs can do it too.

Only druids can, and it might not suit the adventure to have every enemy NPC melee combatant be a druid wildshaped into a dire bear.

Also, in my opinion, druids with strength scores of 40+ tends to make the game unfun for the party's fighter types, who might feel slightly overshadowed in the area they are supposed to shine.

Storme said:

As I overheard one wise DM say to his player who had a level 9 artificer with all that wand, twin, energy admixture stuff..."If it's possible for you to do 20d6 at level 9, the monsters might too...is that okay with you?"
I don't like using "Mutually Assured Destruction" as a way to "balance" things out. But pointing this out might be enough to make a whiny player reconsider his thoughts about your house rules. :)

Remove ads