• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E STR and DEX fighter stupid?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Depends what kind of fighter you want to play, what kind of adventure setting you are planning for, and what kind of ranged support you can expect from the other PCs.

I suppose it depends on the type of game you're playing. And there's no wrong answer there.

I try to build characters around a concept. I visualize them, think about them, and then work the abilities to try and match what I have in my head; mechanical options should support what I want, but does not drive my choices. I am comfortable, for example, discarding proficiencies gained by race or background if they don't fit. From that point of view, it is hard for me to imagine playing a fighter (or any fighting-type character) that "dumps" in either strength or dexterity; a 12 (for example) would be the absolute minimum for a character that was above-average, and fighting characters should be above-average in strength and dexterity. Even, say, an archer- I mean, longbows (to use an example) do require some strength.

What these good folks said. It's never stupid to play a concept you think you'll have fun playing, even if that's a swashbuckling duelist who is also a large brute of a man. Porthos anyone?

What's stupid is limiting your options in a game all about imagination because someone tells you that you're not metagaming enough.

I have seen 2 highish level fighters in this edition (both eldritch knights) one with a dex of 8, and the other who had a 12 but was wearing a magic item that raised it to 17... the difference between the two was very small...

bid

First Post
Stupid is specializing yourself into such a narrow niche that you are useless otherwise.
Int8 is stupid, Wis8 is unwise, Cha8 is vile. Specializing in combat is the best example of a "narrow niche".

Someone suggested some time ago to pick archery style to cover for Dex12-14. I think that's a good compromise.

Momar

First Post
What these good folks said. It's never stupid to play a concept you think you'll have fun playing, even if that's a swashbuckling duelist who is also a large brute of a man. Porthos anyone? What's stupid is limiting your options in a game all about imagination because someone tells you that you're not metagaming enough.
I agree that it's stupid that the concept is limited, but I disagree with the assertion that this is the fault of metagaming players. It's the systems fault for not supporting a very reasonable character design choice. These characters are existing in a universe where, for whatever reason, being coordinated and having quick reflexes doesn't help that much once you strap on some plate and grab a decently heavy sword.

jgsugden

Legend
High dex/str together is not optimized, but it isn't horrible either. You get access to the two handed coat techniques, better dex saves, better initiative, better long range attacks, etc...If it sounds fun, go for it.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I agree that it's stupid that the concept is limited, but I disagree with the assertion that this is the fault of metagaming players. It's the systems fault for not supporting a very reasonable character design choice. These characters are existing in a universe where, for whatever reason, being coordinated and having quick reflexes doesn't help that much once you strap on some plate and grab a decently heavy sword.

Bullocks. The system isn't to blame here because not every single concept is optimized against each other. You're also mistaken that quick reflexes (DEX) doesn't help much with heavy armor or weapons because it still impacts initiative no matter what, and with the high number of times your PC needs to make an ability check or saving throw, each ability score is important. Your definition of "reasonable character design choice" certainly doesn't seem to be the same as most people I know, if you think 5e doesn't support "reasonable character choices".

krakistophales

First Post
Well, I'm a bit of a min/maxer and for that reason I pose the question because I was pondering this issue myself. The conclusion I came to is that the best you can do is dump cha, so that'll leave you with 15/14/14/10/10/8 as your starting array with point buy. With variant human, 15 becomes 16 and 14 becomes 15, and adding +1 STR/Heavy Armor Master to that, you get 16/16/14/10/10/8 at level 1.

So the best one can hope for is a 14 dex using this formula. So, apart from getting +2 initiative, +2 dex saving throws, and +2 to hit with a bow or whatever, I see no benefit.

Whereas a 14 wisdom gives me +4s to the majority of useful skills in the game, such as perception/survival/insight/etc. at 1st level, and most effects that are particularly nasty for fighters are wisdom saves.

I don't mind that you are either a STR or DEX build in this edition, except for the fact that it seems a bit counterintuitive. What if you wanted to make like a master swordsman concept, or like a quickdraw swordsman? You would need STR because that's your primary to hit and damage stat, but how can you call yourself a master swordsman while clunking around in plate armor with a giant sword? There's no middle, and I kinda wish there was.

For instance, if they would actually create like a "medium weapon master" feat, or something to that effect, it would make using a one-handed sword and the dueling style totally feasible without having to take the obvious choice of a shield. This way you could be a str/dex build and a swordsman-ish concept because you'd at least have a feat supporting it. Whereas right now, there's absolutely no reason to take a longsword with the dueling feat for strength without a shield over just doing a greatsword with the great weapon fighting style.

Dausuul

Legend
I have a tough time imagining a STR-based fighter build that would benefit from having DEX as the secondary stat. I mean, sure, it's nice to be good with a bow, but most of the time a few javelins will suffice for a ranged option. In the rare cases where it won't, you can still shoot a bow, you just won't hit as often or do as much damage.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
You get a bonus for being proficient with a weapon, but you are not barred from using a weapon (or tools) you are un-proficient with.
Take a med-to-low DEX and buy a shortbow. You may hand it to the elf a lot, or the DM may never notice your low rolls because the rest of the group peppers his flying monsters just fine. When you do get a hit with the bow, tell NPCs about it thereafter, and try to raise your 'apparent DEX' via story-telling.

Reverse view: my 4e Warlock took a particular power so I could operate as the group's 'flak gun'. I wanted to knock flying foes out of the sky so my allies could help beat on them.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Stealth is one reason one might choose medium armor and a STR/DEX mix. As well as some multiclassing/feat options. Not a particularly efficient choice, but...

Remove ads