• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Str Bonus to Composite Bows

Greatfrito

First Post
I'm working off of the 3.5 SRD and the new Complete Warrior (which I like a lot), but I've run into a slight issue when it comes to making an archer character.

While it does say how much it costs for each point of strength bonus to damage for each type of composite bow (shortbow, longbow, greatbow), it doesn't specifically list a maximum for each.

Can anyone tell me if there is an official maximum for each, and where to find it? I figure I'm overlooking it.

I assume shortbow is +2 max, and longbow is +4 max. But then what about Greatbow? +6 or +8?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Greatfrito said:
While it does say how much it costs for each point of strength bonus to damage for each type of composite bow (shortbow, longbow, greatbow), it doesn't specifically list a maximum for each.

That's right - in 3.5, there isn't one.

-Hyp.

Greatfrito

First Post
Okay, so there isn't one... I can deal with that... I guess...

My question now is whether that was intentional, or just a stupid error that no one has bothered to look at and fix?

It seems to me that it was intended to be in there (probably the same maxes as in 3.0), because of the lines "...up to the maximum bonus indicated for the bow" that appear in both longbow and short bow composite descriptions.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Greatfrito said:
It seems to me that it was intended to be in there (probably the same maxes as in 3.0), because of the lines "...up to the maximum bonus indicated for the bow" that appear in both longbow and short bow composite descriptions.

That's the max for a given composite longbow, not for composite longbows in general.

Let's say I have two bows, Bow A (Max Str Bonus +2) and Bow B (Max Str Bonus +5), and a Strength of 18 (Str Bonus +4).

I can apply my Str bonus to damage... up to the maximum bonus indicated for the bow. In the case of Bow A, I can only apply +2, since that's the maximum bonus for the bow. In the case of Bow B, I can apply my whole Str bonus, since it's less than the bow's maximum... but I suffer a penalty on attack rolls, since I'm not strong enough to use the bow properly.

But I could commission a bow that could handle up to +25, if I really wanted to. The max bonus indicated for that bow would be +25.

-Hyp.

Greatfrito

First Post
*shudders at the thought of bows with insanely strong pulls*

Well, I think I'm gonna just pretend that there are caps on the str bonus, probably along the lines of the 3.0 version (short max=+2, long max =+4). With those, what would you say the Greatbow's max should be? +6 or +8? I'm leaning toward +8.

I guess I have to just say, if it were a 3.0 weapon, what would its max be?

Thanks for the clarification about the 3.5 rules though.

Greatfrito

First Post
Oh yeah, have to say that I'd modify this max for sizes of bow larger and/or smaller than medium. Like 1/2 the max for each size smaller, and 2x the max for each size larger (so a large longbow would have a max of +8). Seems to make sense.

Still, greatbows are an oddity to me. Are they just the next size catagory up from the longbow?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Greatfrito said:
I guess I have to just say, if it were a 3.0 weapon, what would its max be?

Remember that a Solar's (normal-sized, for some reason) Longbow in 3E allowed +5, and a Storm Giant's Gargantuan Longbow allowed +14... so you can justify pretty much any figure you choose.

I'm afraid I have no idea what a greatbow's stats are, though - I don't have Complete Warrior.

-Hyp.

Lladnar

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
But I could commission a bow that could handle up to +25, if I really wanted to. The max bonus indicated for that bow would be +25.
So, basicly a tree trunk with a string attached. :D

Remove ads