• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strange Friends, Part I: Of Mountains & Molehills

Cyronax

Explorer
Session II (Part 4)

Covered in mud and with nerves as tense as his wound crossbow, Li Hai made his along the trail straining his ears and his eyes for any sign of his enemies.

Li Hai’s pet toad helped him a little. It too didn’t have the greatest night vision, but it saw much more than Li Hai ever could.

Moving in and out of the high marsh reeds to either side of the trail, Li Hai started to hear the
sound of people up ahead. He heard several low voices, probably male and human, as well as the occasional crackle or pop of a campfire. If there had been a cloud of smoke from the fire, it was probably obscured by the haze that hung over the swamp.

After another fifty feet or so, Li Hai, finally rounded a corner along the trail, and could make a break in the reeds not far off. Beyond that, Li Hai thought he could make out another rickety bridge in the moonlight, and finally after that, he saw a small island that was wreathed in high reeds. The trail continued on to the island, and Li Hai could barely make out the cozy glow of a small fire. He thought he could see several figures sitting around it, but it was still too far to know for certain.

Li Hai decided to go back and inform his companions on what he’d seen, so that they could plot their next move. As he made his way back, he discreetly put the toad back into an inner pocket in his tunic.

Li Hai returned to the party, told them what he’d seen, and they immediately fell into a long debate. Li Hai made sure to keep an eye on the trail, so that they weren’t caught unawares.

During the course of their debate, several ideas were tossed around, but Gareth seemed to be set on a highly risky plan of his own. Gareth proposed that he don the tattered, bloody disguise of a Clover caravan guard, burst into the camp, and tell the men that a party of well armed mercenaries, led by a Clover Trade bounty hunter had waylaid his watch-post at the Floodgate. He then would attempt to lead or direct a contingent of guards to leave the camp, so as to divide their forces. The rest of the party he explained would hide among the reeds along the side of the path. Li Hai could cover Gareth with his crossbow in case trouble started, and after the forces were divided, the party could then attack which ever group they thought they could best handle.

The noble confidently stated that his performance would be made all the more genuine by the fact that no patrols had returned to the camp since the party had entered the swamp.

Kelec agreed that Gareth was probably right about the fact that no guards had come back to report about the party’s presence, but the dwarf was not willing to risk his life on that assumption. As cautious as always, Kelec told the group that even though he had been well trained at tracking and wilderness skills, he still might have missed something.

“Plus,” Li Hai added, “There might actually be more than one way into the swamp. We really can’t know for sure. This is a big place, and it looks like these people know the lay of the land pretty well. That old wolf could be wrong Kelec.”

Kelec said, “Bah…I doubt that……..Thornfur was certain that the “gateway into the swamp” was the only way into this whole sh*t-infested hell hole. I’m willing to trust his knowledge about that. His pack has been here longer than almost everyone.”

Gareth smiled broadly and said, “That gives my plan a good boost. Think about it….we’ve already killed six of their men. We already know that at least one patrol had passed out of the swamp while we were recuperating from the Floodgate battle. I think I place more faith in your tracking skills than you do Master Kelec. I don’t think you would have missed signs of a recent patrol returning to that camp up ahead.”

The dwarf just shrugged.

“Hmmmm..okay Kelec, how many people do you think have actually been living in this swamp? Based on the signs along the trail I mean,” asked Li Hai.

Kelec furrowed his brow, and thought the question over for a few moments before replying that he didn’t think anymore than fifteen to twenty. Both Li Hai and Gareth tried to get a more definite approximation from the dwarf, but Kelec couldn’t be sure. The dwarf told the party that in all likelihood, his estimation was wrong anyway. In the end, Kelec concluded that Gareth’s plan might work.

Li Hai disagreed. He thought the bluff was too risky. He thought it might be better to just wait until they send out another patrol and then waylay them safely away from the main camp.

Gareth immediately countered that. He believed that any further delays of contact with the already defeated guards would put the entire camp on edge and make them think something was wrong. He also reminded Li Hai that a patrol of unknown strength was already away from camp. Thus, they would have fewer guards now then they would later. In the end, Gareth had managed to convince Kelec to go along with his plan. Gorbag followed Gareth’s lead by default as always.

Li Hai just said, “Fine but just remember who thought of this stupid idea when it blows up in your face.”

Gareth flashed the doubting Halthyte a defiant grin.

-------------------

The camp wasn’t much to look at, but had a cozy, rustic feeling despite the oppressive and fetid swamp air. As Gareth stumbled towards the camp, now dressed in a bloody, torn Clover tabard and clutching a fake wound on his torso, no one seemed notice him at first.

The disguised noble had crossed the plank bridge rather loudly, and was now leaning weakly against a four foot high stone barricade that was built immediately to the left of the bridge on the new island. The stonework might have been built to serve as a fortification had anyone bothered to guard the bridge and the approach to the island.

As he mustered his will to continue further, Gareth saw that the island he was on was probably around forty or fifty feet in diameter, it was surrounded by the now familiar tall reeds, but had been hollowed out for the most part leaving a “courtyard” in which a camp for many people had been set up.

He noticed that off to his right lay a small, weedy vegetable garden, and on the side of the island opposite of the bridge, was a wooden shack that had been assembled on a set of stilts. It hovered a foot over the waterline of the swamp, and had a small stone chimney that served as one of its stilt legs. The shack was composed of mismatched pieces of scrap lumber. The windows and a few of the larger cracks of the house were covered by cheesecloth, probably to protect its inhabitants from swamp bugs. The shack also had a porch that partially surrounded the hovel and it looked to be littered with firewood. Gareth could see mud-covered picks and shovels leaning next to the stairs that led up to the shack.

Gareth finally composed himself, noted that he only saw five figures, all men equipped in a similar fashion as the other guards camped around a small campfire. Three of the men were asleep, and the other two seemed to be nodding off anyway.

“Okay here it goes….,” Gareth whispered to himself, and then he moaned in a faked rough, tired voice, “Help…wake up!! Wake up, we were attacked at the Floodgate!”

The two guards wheeled around in surprise, hands going to their weapons reflexively. They relaxed a bit when they saw a “fellow guardsmen,” and came over to him.

It took less than two minutes, and Gareth’s sudden arrival had roused the entire camp. The three sleeping men had been awakened, while two other people had emerged from the shack. The first to emerge was a small, but attractive young Mytherian woman, probably in her late twenties, who had a beautiful mane of amber hair and deep green eyes. She seemed remarkably out of place and Gareth could thought she’d look better gliding across the Baron’s banquet hall in Archaven instead of their current swampy location.

He tried not to make eye contact with her, and instead passed his gaze to the second inhabitant of the shack, a short stocky man dressed in dirty rags. The man, who was probably a Mytherian-Halthyte mutt, had a pug-like face, beady almond shaped eyes, and scarred and angry features. His left eye was missing, and the twisted man didn’t even bother to cover the hollow socket with a patch or some other effect. The noble would have discounted the man for worthless pauper had it not been for the look of bitter genius that burned in the man’s one good eye.

Gareth felt a nervous lump rising in his throat. He only hoped that the mud and other filth that he had covered his face in would be enough to give him a chance at impersonating one of their own.

“Hey are you listening to me?”

“Uh….what?” Gareth stammered. He realized that he had been blindly staring at the stooped man and the woman even as the five guards around him were throwing questions at him.

“So how many guards were they? Did you recognize the bounty hunter?” The guard repeated.

“Oh…there were about ten plus the leader I think,” Gareth answered roughly. For good measure he winced from some imagined pain in his side.

“Are they very far off?” One of the guards asked.

By this time the woman and the strange man had made it across the island, and were now silently observing the questioning.

Gareth was in the middle of making up some false details about his flight from the Floodgate when the one-eyed man rasped, “Only you survived? What happened to the rest? Did you meet up with Khelsor’s patrol?”

“Uh yes, they said he would go investigate the ….uh…incident.” Gareth lied.

The ugly leader just looked deeply into Gareth’s eyes, and then said with a broad smile on his face, “So General, its fortunate that you alone survived. You should be rewarded.”

Gareth only said, “Uh……..thank you sir……I appreciate..uh….I.”

The twisted man’s eyes narrowed angrily, and he shouted, “Porlow, Fredrick take him!! You three,” he said, pointing at the other three guards, “Guard the bridge! Janne follow me! He’s not one of us! He’s baiting us for an attack or a trap of some sort!”

And with that Gareth was quickly subdued by the two guards and dragged after the leader and the woman Janne towards the shack on stilts.

--------------------

Li Hai and Kelec both cursed Gareth’s inept performance as soon as they saw the noble’s physical reaction to the appearance of the woman and the leader. Safe among the concealing reeds of the adjacent swamp island Kelec commanded Li Hai not to act until they were sure that Gareth had failed. The second that the dwarf heard the leader shout the orders to capture the Mytherian noble, he knew they were all in trouble.

“Fire!” Kelec told the Halthyte even as he grabbed Gorbag’s meaty hand and led the orc on to the trail. Kelec had his throwing axe readied, while Gorbag wielded his bastard sword as always.

Even as Kelec dragged the orc out of their hiding place, he shouted, “Gorbag get ready for a fight!!”

Li Hai didn’t immediately fire, even though he knew Kelec and Gorbag needed some help against the three bowmen who were deployed behind the stone wall on the other side of the bridge. Instead, the Halthyte took aim on the ugly leader. He then started muttering to himself, all the while focusing on the man’s back, which was outlined in the dim light of the island’s campfire.

Kelec wisely got behind Gorbag as they began their charge across the bridge (7).

By the time he had crossed the bridge, the orc was hit at point blank range by two of the archers. The third guard actually dropped his unfired bow and was already drawing his longsword by the time Gorbag had finished crossed the bridge.

The other two archers also dropped their bows, but it was too late. Gorbag was already upon them, and the orc killed one and badly wounded the other with but one mighty swing of his blade.

The third archer took off as fast as he could towards the safety of the shack.

Gareth meanwhile, was roughly dragged by the other two guards towards the shack. Even as he struggled to draw his long sword and fight back, the guard named Porlow soundly punched Gareth across the face, and the other one, Fredrick, had slashed Gareth’s stomach with his drawn longsword.

Gareth went limp in their arms, and they continued to carry his bleeding, prone form towards the shack. The archer who had fled Gorbag, raced passed these two encumbered guards.

Kelec, coming out from behind his orcish shield, left the wounded guard to Gorbag, and set his sights for the two guards holding Gareth. He hurled his axe at Porlow, but missed badly. The dwarf cursed, and knew that Gareth was either dead or close to it. He hoped he could take the guards before they made it to the shack.

Li Hai finally got a bead on the stumpy leader and fired expertly at his fleeing form. The Halthyte watched with great satisfaction as he saw the ugly man nearly fall over from the force of the bolt.

Janne, the comely Mytherian woman, seeing her master wounded, immediately helped him to his feet, and supported him all the way to the shack. They had climbed up the steps and made it into the shack before Li Hai could reload his crossbow for another shot.

The wounded guard facing Gorbag missed the fast orc, and a look of imminent defeat came to his face, even as he was turned into a storm of blood and flying severed limbs. Gorbag stood in this storm’s eye, with a calm humdrum expression on his face.

The last archer, the one who had run from Gorbag previously, also reached the door, and forced it open, only to slam it behind him as soon as he’d gone in.

Kelec shouted a few more potent curses at the two remaining guards, and yanked his club off his belt. He dared not charge them, and instead stopped about ten feet away from them, hoping that they’d drop Gareth and engage him instead.

Li Hai meanwhile decided against wasting anymore time, raised his crossbow, quickly took aim at the guard Fredrick and fired.

The Halthyte missed, and as he was reloading for another shot, he emerged from the cover of the reeds and began to carefully cross the bridge to help his friends.

The two guards were able to out run the dwarf, and made it to the shack with Gareth’s unconscious, bleeding form held between them.

Even as the door to the shack was slammed shut, Kelec shouted, “Gorbag! Li Hai!,” Kelec called, “Get the f**k over here! (8)”

----------------------
Endnotes:
(7) – Despite the fact that Kelec, Gorbag, and Li Hai all had high hit point totals for 1st level characters (11, 12, 11 respectively), all of the players took advantage of the orc’s malleable will and often used the orc as a human(oid) shield in combat.

(8) – When I ran these sessions Kelec’s player, who posts as Sathorae on these boards, didn’t actually say curses as much as I might have made him out to, but the other players and I generally assumed that whatever Sathorae had Kelec say was also surely peppered with a few foul insults and curses. We didn’t require Sathorae to vocalize all of the curse words, partly because it wasn’t in his real world nature and also because it would have been really distracting. This was all part of trying to realistically play and also react to a dwarf who had a Charisma equal to a dretch tanar’ri (p.10 of the PH). It was sometimes hard for me as the DM to remember how unlikable Kelec would come across to everyone but animals NPCs.

The interesting part of all this, was that Kelec’s foul mouth and sub-par hygiene was off set by the fact that he was hands down the smartest character in the party throughout much of the campaign. Though he would never be looked upon as the party leader as Gareth sometimes would, his opinion was generally regarded as the tiebreaker in many of the many intra-party arguments.

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Kelec that comely lad

Aye, I truly be happy to see ya up and 'bout postin up our story 'ere. And thankee kindly fer settin tings straight 'bout me and me charisma...I try but it's hard to play the CH of a dretch Tana'ri I tell ye!!! , blasted +2/-2 for stats

Well das all for now from mee...keep up da good work there Icy.

Cyronax

Explorer
Its good to see a post from you again Sathorae. Hadn't heard from you in awhile. I just got into writing this story hour again after a few weeks of real world bizness. I should (and I mean this one this time) have the last part of session II done by Wednesday.

Also, Somebody delurk and post! I hope that my old players and I aren't the only ones racking up the view hit counter!

Ah, well......I guess I'll throw another topic out there. Discuss among it among yourselves or something.

Topic I: Which character is your favorite and why?

Gettin a little V-clemped :(,
C.I.D.

Last edited:

Lazybones

Adventurer
Hey Cyro,
Had a slow stretch today at work so I read most of your story (I'm now at the second post of Session II). It's a good piece; like one of the early posters I really liked the characters and it's nice to have their commentary within the thread. I'm curious to see how RttToEE will fit into the complex world you've created.

One bit of advice from a long-time writer: accolades are great, but if you want to write you have to do it primarily for yourself and for the story. I've filled three threads now with my Forgotten Realms story, and while I've gotten good feedback there have been long stretches with just me and Horacio posting (that guy reads tons of story hours :)).

So keep going, even if people aren't posting, you're telling a good story and it will be out there for people to discover, even if it's on a lazy Tuesday months after the story began...

Lazybones

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
Garr!!

Well ICY...see? you have readers after all, and if you don't mind my saying LB's story is one of the best on this board so you should listen to what he's a saying there...and while I have been away awhile, I was checkin the story but ye weren't updatin so nuthin ta be sayin! ...

Cyronax

Explorer
Lazybones said:

One bit of advice from a long-time writer: accolades are great, but if you want to write you have to do it primarily for yourself and for the story. I've filled three threads now with my Forgotten Realms story, and while I've gotten good feedback there have been long stretches with just me and Horacio posting (that guy reads tons of story hours :)).

So keep going, even if people aren't posting, you're telling a good story and it will be out there for people to discover, even if it's on a lazy Tuesday months after the story began...

Lazybones

Thanks for the kind words Lazybones, and I perhaps sounded a bit more whiny than I wanted to :rolleyes:, but your words ring true. Really glad you posted though! I hope it keeps your interest.

C.I.D.

Last edited:

Felix

Explorer
Written by Cy:
(7) – Despite the fact that Kelec, Gorbag, and Li Hai all had high hit point totals for 1st level characters (11, 12, 11 respectively), all of the players took advantage of the orc’s malleable will and often used the orc as a human(oid) shield in combat.

Yeah, a human(oid) shield with SPIKES!

I really don't think old Gorbie cared that they were cowering behind him. If anything, Gorbag thought them smart to follow the best in the trade. If Gorbag thought, that is.

Cyronax

Explorer
I cannot seem to end the blasted second session !! I keep going on for longer than I thought was necessary. Okay, well this one gets us close, but its not the end yet. Sorry Nota Pixie Insight....next time will definetely be the last ::crosses fingers for good measure::

--------------------

Session II (Part 5)

“Get over here!!” Kelec shouted again.

The dwarf was now nervously watching the shack for any sign of movement. He knew that the strange leader, the woman, and three other guards were now all holed up in the shack. Gareth was in there too, probably bleeding to death and unconscious even as he stood there.

He wheeled around again to shout for his companions, but Gorbag was already standing right behind him with his sword and much of his armor dripping with blood. Gorbag was wounded, but most of the blood was from the two guards he had just killed. The orc seemed unfazed as usual.

Kelec looked behind the orc and saw Li Hai standing on the edge of the island, behind the small stone barricade, which nearly came up to the short Halthyte’s chest. He had his crossbow loaded and aimed at the door to the shack. Li Hai just nodded to Kelec and said, “I got you covered, try and flush them out somehow.”

Even as Kelec muttered a curse about cowardly humans and trying to formulate a plan of attack, the door to the shack banged opened, and the two guards, Porlow and Fredrick came out of the house both with short bows aimed at Kelec and Gorbag. Both the orc and dwarf were surprised by the pair’s appearance.

The second they came into sight, Li Hai let loose a bolt, but it went wide, and ended up on the roof of the shack.

Porlow and Fredrick both reaimed their bows and fired at Li Hai. Li Hai ducked behind the barricade, even as one arrow passed through the space where Li Hai’s head had just been. The other arrow bounced harmlessly off the barricade. He started to reload his crossbow, still crouched behind the cover of the barricade.

With the surprise of the moment wearing off, Kelec yelled, “Git them Gorbag!”

As the dwarf and orc began to charge towards the shack no more than fifteen feet away, both of the guards dropped their bows and drew their long swords. Both men had a look of true horror in their eyes as the saw Gorbag rushing at them.

Preempting his guards’ imminent defeat, the stunted and ugly leader suddenly came out from behind Porlow, and brought himself to full height all the while holding a strange speckled green medallion out before him.

With a look of utter confidence on his twisted features, the leader loudly said, “Please, Heed my words.”

Gorbag, who had by that time inched ahead of Kelec during their charge, stumbled to a halt a mere three feet from the one-eyed man, and simply said, “OK.”

Kelec, nearly barreling into Gorbag’s halted rear, also lurched to a halt. For a split second he almost thought he knew the leader or at least felt like he could trust him, but the feeling passed. Kelec was confused for a split second, but quickly realized that the man thought that Gorbag and himself had fallen under some sort of enchantment.

“Men, remove their weapons, we are finally victorious!” the leader said, and then looking arrogantly into Gorbag’s and then Kelec’s eyes asked, “So travelers, what brings you into my little domain?”

Gorbag obediently dropped his sword on to the ground, and then said to the man, “I think we come to bash you!”

The dwarf allowed the guards to remove his weapon, even as he tried to hide the horror he felt after hearing the orc say that.

“To bash me!! That’s not going to happen now will it? You’ve obviously had your will tainted by those scoundrels in Cherry Knoll!”

Kelec replied, “I don’t know what….what you mean….we were looking to rescue some rich girl from Archaven. We’re just adventurers. We don’t get involved in politics friend.”

The leader laughed derisively, “You mean Janne don’t you? Hah!!,” The ugly man then called into the shack and said, “Janne, come out, there is nothing more to fear. The misunderstanding has been cleared up. These men now know I am no threat to them. You have seen my pure virtue have you not?”

Kelec grumbled, “Yes Master…..uh…..yes friend.”

Gorbag just said, “Huh?”

As Kelec tried to explain to the leader that Gorbag was a simpleton and didn’t understand much in the way of Mytherian or any other language for that matter, Janne emerged from the ramshackle hovel.

“See here my friends, this is Janne. I believe this is the woman you seek she is no prisoner however…”

“Um…excuse me Master?” interrupted Fredrick, even as he held Kelec’s club and Gorbag’s bastard sword gingerly in his arms.

“Grrr..what is it? I’m in the middle of something here!”

“Uh, forgive me milord, but I just wanted to remind you that there is still at least one more man left out there,” Fredrick continued, after meekly glanced down at the arrow wound on the leader’s lower back, “……um, remember the archer.”

“Blast these quibbling details!! I’m sure he saw my great display of virtue! Where is he, why has he not come into camp to offer his apologies for shooting me?!!”

“I don’t know master! I really don’t!!” quivered Fredrick.

Porlow and the other guard, who even now were investigating the stone barricade and nervously scouting around the bridge for any sign of Li Hai called back saying that they saw no sign of him.

“Bah!! Alright then, he must be too ashamed of himself or something,” the Master, but then muttered, “Find him and bring him back here, alive you can.”

“As you command Wise Master!!” the three guards said in unison, and then they gathered up as many arrows as they could find, lit one torch, and then left the island to search for Li Hai.

The Master was now nervously rubbing with hands through his greasy black hair. He had a worried, ponderous look on his face, and after a few moments asked Kelec, “So tell me, what else have you heard about me? You two must know a bit more than a false rumor about me kidnapping some girl from Archaven. Tell me!”

As Gorbag tried to put meaning to all of the Master’s big words, Kelec nervously said, “I’ll do that Master, but first could I see the my friend….the one who your men took into the shack?”

“What?!” the Master asked angrily.

“He was hurt….I’m sure he needs to be looked at. Um….he’s not a bad guy or nothing. We didn’t know that you were such a virtuous man before we got here. Please.”

“No, do as I say, tell all that you know about me and what I’m doing here,” the Master said, but then added acidly, “Besides your friend is dead already.”

Kelec gasped and then stammered, “but if I could just make sure. Gorbag….tell the master, we need to help Gareth.”

“Uh…..we need to help Gareth,” the orc dumbly repeated, but then after a moment’s thought, said, “Oh…but we’s do! Where Gareth?”

“I’m sorry friend Gorbag,” the Master said, “but your friend Gareth is truly dead. I’m very sorry.”

Gorbag looked sad for a moment, but then just shrugged and said, “Can na stop that. Poor Gareth.”

Kelec lamely added, “Poor Gareth indeed, I still want to see his body.”

Janne, still standing beside her Master patiently, said, “Just tell the Master what he wants to know dwarf!”

“Yes indeed! I gave you a task, now tell me what you know! You know you can trust me. I need your help now. Think now to the living. Your friend will have to wait.” the Master pleaded. Frustrated by the dwarf’s reticence, the Master finally said, “Orc, tell your friend to do as I say. You know I’m a good man.”

“Uh Yaw,…uh....Kah-lack tell Master what um…he want OK.”

Kelec just looked at the orc, and gave up trying to manipulate his new Master. Even though the Master was unaware that the dwarf had resisted the charm, Kelec knew that he would be unable to do anything so long as the ensorcelled orc was there to protect him.

He began trying think of a good story. The dwarf knew that he was a bad liar, but knew that the key to any good lie was a few well placed bits of truth, so the dwarf told the Master the entire truth, as far as he knew it, about Gareth, Li Hai, and Gorbag. All he could do was leave out any mention of the fact that he was in fact a druid and friends with Thornfur and his pack and also that Gareth and Li Hai weren’t working to help cure the Abbot and his men from the tambrosh.

He hoped his “Master” thought it sufficient.

------------------------------

Li Hai had been lucky. Lucky that he had been out of sight behind the barricade reloading his crossbow, and lucky that none of the men heard him jump off of the island and into the swamp as soon as he realized that the one-eyed leader had charmed Gorbag and Kelec. He wasn’t sure if he would have been affected by whatever spell the leader had cast had he seen it, since he was over fifty feet away at the time, but he knew that he was probably no match for whoever the one-eyed man was.

The Halthyte wasn’t one for indecision, and so he quickly formulated a plan and hoped that his luck held.
Up until a few days ago, Li Hai’s luck was something he had come to count on. Ever since he came to Cherry Knoll however, things felt different. It seemed that his luck was faltering.

It was probably well past midnight even as the Halthyte made his way away from the Master’s island. He had swum through the muck towards other island, and then came out of the water only after he was sure no one was nearby yet. Once he emerged from the water, Li Hai made sure to stay among the reeds. It slowed his progress, but it gave him camouflage and also made his tracks all but undetectable without a great effort on the part of the trackers. Even he was slowed in the reeds, Li Hai’s robust physique allowed him to keep going faster and farther than most men could ever hope for.

The Halthyte had passed over the island next to the Master’s camp, and managed to get about hundred feet past the old battering ram on the next island, when he heard the sound of several men pounding through the muck at a fast pace.

He soon could make out the light of a single torch, and realized that he would have to deal with the men sooner than he had anticipated. Maybe he shouldn’t have bothered to try to hide his progress by staying among the reeds.

As Li Hai saw the men pass by his hiding place along the trail, the Halthyte realized that all three men were as of yet unwounded.

“Heh, this’ll be fun,” Li Hai muttered, and after the men had gone about ten feet past him, he shot his crossbow, at Fredrick, the last man to pass him by. He hit him square in the back, but the bolt didn’t go very deep and Fredrick painfully wheeled around, pulled the arrow from his back, and shouted for help from his companions.

Li Hai reloaded his crossbow, even as the three guards made their way back to his position. Porlow had his long sword drawn, while Fredrick and the unnamed guard had their short bows readied.

Li Hai stood up and moved out of his concealment, so that he was about two feet off the trail with his crossbow aimed at Fredrick’s chest.

Porlow shouted, “Alright drop the bow! You know you can’t win!”

The Halthyte’s lip quivered a bit and his face took on a pensive look. Finally after a tense staredown with the guards, Li Hai dropped his crossbow on to the mucky ground. He now stood there, completely exposed, with arms outstretched in front of him.

As the three guards circled around so that they were all standing in front of him with their bows still aimed at him, Li Hai pleaded, “I give up, I can’t win.”

“You’re damned right! Get on your knees you bastard!!” Fredrick yelled.

Li Hai, shoulders slumped a little as it he were ready to comply, but suddenly the defeated, scared expression left his face, and in its place was one of playful cruetly. Li Hai laughed quietly, even as he touched the thumbs of his outstretched hands together and spread his fingers in fan-like manner, and then said, “You simple fools!! Taste my Reqie de Shou (9)!

As he shouted this, a blue-white sheet of searing flame shot from his outspread fingertips. The fire rushed out nearly ten feet forward, engulfing the upper part of each man. Fredrick and the unnamed guard were caught completely off guard, and both were quickly transformed into human pillars of flame that screamed in horrible pain, and fell to the ground dying almost instantly. Porlow had somehow managed to avoid most of the blast, with it only burning around his right arm. He had enough presence of mind to dive into the reeds on the other side of the trail in part to extinguish the flames on his arm and also to try to get away from Li Hai.

Li Hai just laughed, and in the light of flames, his face bore a sadistic grin.

Fredrick and the unnamed guard were now nothing more than smoking corpses, but Porlow had managed to extinguish his arm and brought his long sword to bear against his powerful foe.

It mattered not; Li Hai summoned forth the flames again even as Porlow made a feeble charge towards him. The guard was unable to avoid the blast this time, and he died in agony. The sorcerer’s piercing grey eyes were the last thing he saw.

-----------------
(9) – Wen Rou (Li Hai’s player) and myself are both anime fans, and one of the things that we always found most humorous about anime is that many of the characters have to shout out the names of their attacks. Li Hai, as an arcane spellcaster, must use verbal components for many of his spells. “Reqie de Shou” is Halthyte (Chinese) for “Burning Hands.”

Cyronax

Explorer
Re: I'm reading

MavrickWeirdo said:
I'm enjoying this storyhour, in fact it's in my top 5. At this point I'm really looking forward to meeting the pixie.

Thanks MavrickWeirdo! That's high praise indeed!

As to the 'pixie,' you'll have to wait a lot longer than session 3 to understand the reference and why all the other players are always "looking" and "listening" for more updates.
Its a bit of an inside joke.

Anyway, the next update will have to wait til at least the weekend since the Real World has issued its ugly head in the form of a double shift waiting tables and an odious econ exam to study for.

C.I.D.

Last edited:

Remove ads