• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strange gaming & Con traditions

psionotic

Ashwyn's strange encounter with Madam Cthulu (http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34842) reminded me of a new tradition that my gaming group started at OryCon, the last gaming convention we went to...

It seems a past resident of our hotel room left a copy of Penthouse magazine in the closet, and apparently the cleaning staff either didn't notice it, or just decided to leave it out for future tenants. So having discovered the contraband, a friend of ours flipped right to the notorious 'forum' section, and began reading the whole group a series of ribald bedtime stories. For greater effect, he inserted as much, um, drama as possible into the reading, causing the whole effect to be rather hilarious. Instantly, a new con tradition was born: We decided we need to buy an issue before each future con, so that he can crack us up all over again.

A longer-standing con tradition we have is called 'pass the Pikachu'. One member of our group (Lord Nightshade), who has a supernatural fear & hatred of Pokemon, received a stuffed Pikachu as a birthday present a few years back. At the next con, he snuck it into my bag during the last night of GenCon. Luckily, I noticed, and snuck it back into his bag while he was in the shower. Ever since then, Pikachu has gone home with someone else, and we all strive to make sure that person isn't us!

Anyone else have any fun or funny Con or gaming traditions to share?

Last edited:

Moe Ronalds

First Post
The closest thing we have to traditions are:

At every oppurtunity we make he-man references to the party barbarian, who is your standard buff tough guy running around in steel underwear.

And using duct tape for any possible conceivable purpose. Shoes, restraints, etc...

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
Con traditions- Eating overpriced convention/hotel food. Sleeping only 2 hours a night, looking for the closest McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's for "real" food. Ohh thats normal con behavior.

Lordnightshade

First Post
Hey, Psionotic, who has that Pikachu now anyway?

*shudder*

I think Thad left it at my house after our last game!? :eek:

Looks like I will have to be bringin it to our next con.

Also you forgot to mention our d12 tradition.

When there is something that needs to be decided at a con and it comes down to two opposing choices we roll off with d12's!

poor d12 needs to be used for SOMETHING besides a damage die.

Dagger75 said:
Con traditions- Eating overpriced convention/hotel food. Sleeping only 2 hours a night, looking for the closest McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's for "real" food. Ohh thats normal con behavior.

I remember going 72 hours straight of gaming with my only "food" being a twinky and four liters of Mountain Dew. Didn't make it to work the next day...or the next....

the joe

First Post
gaming traditions

When there is something that needs to be decided at a con and it comes down to two opposing choices we roll off with d12's!

Huh, my group always used d12's as projectiles whenever someone did something stupid. Eventually we got tired of losing dice and causing pain so we bought a bright yellow foam d12, it's nice.

dema

First Post
Gargoyle-

LOL- my group started to do that, we used to listen to the dead alie wives thing, but with the video, forgetaboutit.

There was also some dumb video of some larp where someone was . . . nevermind it's not worth the time.

-dem

Silver Moon

Adventurer
I was on staff for seveal local cons - and unfortunately the biggest 'tradition' seen from many gamers pertained to hygene, or lack thereof.

My favorite con story dealt with a middle-aged woman who arrived at the registration desk looking for her son. She had forgotten to tell him something before he left for the con - she said it was important but not an emergency. Unfortunately that part of the hotel had no type of PA system, and he had not pre-registerred, so we could not look up what game he was in. We told her that we would have to go room-to-room to try to find him. She replied "He should be easy to spot, let me describe him. He's about 5'10", a little heavy-set, wears glasses, has a beard and mustache, has a slight receeding hairline, is wearing sneakers, jeans and a gaming t-shirt, and has a backpack full of gaming books." We had to tactfully explain to her that that description fit almost half of those present.

Last edited:

Remove ads