Stranger Things board game

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I mean, if they give us NEW stories that don't feel like the show, which, looks unlikely.....
I actually like the board games that play on the themes of shows and not try to create stories. I hope this falls in that vein.

payn

sure, the theme is great, but I don't want to reenact the show. But i get others disagree.
I know the lines can sometimes get blurry between an RPG and a board game, but I do think they offer different experiences generally. BGs usually put you in a specific scenario.

By theme I think of some of my favorite BGs. Game of Thrones by FFG for instance, was adapted from one of the greatest games Diplomacy. You take on the role of head of one of the great houses and battle it out for the throne. There is no story, just a game of strategy that has repeat value. Galeforce Nine for a time had many IPs cranking like Spartacus, Homeland, and Sons of Anarchy. None of these games were reenactments of the show, but placed you in the seat of the characters making decisions for some victory condition. Thematic, but not story based. YMMV.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I know the lines can sometimes get blurry between an RPG and a board game, but I do think they offer different experiences generally. BGs usually put you in a specific scenario.

By theme I think of some of my favorite BGs. Game of Thrones by FFG for instance, was adapted from one of the greatest games Diplomacy. You take on the role of head of one of the great houses and battle it out for the throne. There is no story, just a game of strategy that has repeat value. Galeforce Nine for a time had many IPs cranking like Spartacus, Homeland, and Sons of Anarchy. None of these games were reenactments of the show, but placed you in the seat of the characters making decisions for some victory condition. Thematic, but not story based. YMMV.
That works.....the preview for this seemed to imply story, but I could be seeing wrong.

payn

That works.....the preview for this seemed to imply story, but I could be seeing wrong.
I could be too, it's just a video. I get a strong Arkham Horror like vibe from what I'm seeing. Basically, rescuing Will is the victory condition, but random elements change the experience each time.

Remove ads