Strangest Character Quirk

Quickbeam

Explorer
Not quite a quirk, but close enough...

I have a dwarven bard who became his clan's youth teacher. What makes him unique (besides being a dwarven bard) is that his performance specialty is children's storytelling with hand puppets. The dwarf wields a rapier for combat in one hand, and his favorite puppet Okra the dragon on the other. Generally, Okra is used to taunt, amuse and confuse the opposition during encounters -- quite effectively I might add!! I even have a dragon hand puppet that I bring to these sessions, but this group isn't my primary game and we only meet once a month.

Foundry of Decay

First Post
One of my players, who just started playing around the time 3e hit, has a penchant for having one character be an utter loon. (which is good, mixes things up a little).

His first was an Avariel fighter who was on the run from the law due to being framed. The poor character slipped further and further into paranoia as time went on, and even switched profession to a thief so he'd be able to spot anything that might try and kill him, bugs, traps, mice, people. He also tended to trip 50% of the traps he ran across, and instantly blame someone else in the party for doing it.

The second character he had in my second start-up campaign was a gnome. Sadly, this gnome is so out of her mind I wouldn't even know where to start.. First, she was the basket case of her small village.. She doesn't have the highest degree of smarts, and her activities were sitting by the pond, giving food to the ducks, and then immediatly trying to trip them so she could have a laugh.. One 'duck tipping' when awry, and she ended up breaking the poor critter's leg.. She felt heartbroken, and took the little quacker in, nursing it back to health. She claimed this duck was a magical duck, and could talk to her. His name was appearantly Morty.. Short for Morthalamiue.
Seems that Morty game Ellywick (the gnome) magic powers when she played an instrument (marking her as a bard), and she claimed that Morty had chosen her to protect him on his diligant quest. Morty wouldn't tell her what exactly that quest was, but she was damn determined not to let him get hurt..

In game terms, If Morty were to ever die, or get duck-napped, Ellywick (whom the party calls 'brokenhead') would revert to a barbarian, and I'm amazed at the lengths the character will go through to not let that little web-footed quacker get hurt.. At one point, she had Morty cradled in one arm, and her instrument in the other.. Instead of dropping the duck and drawing her weapon, she tossed her instrument at an attacker and ran like mad with morty in her arms..

I think he told me his next character would be a Gnome illusionist with narcilepsey (sp), and wanted to roll a modified save each time he cast a spell from a chosen school to see if that would put him out..

I'm thinking of trying to have said player commited ;)

Kweezil

Caffeinated Reprobate
I'll always have a fond spot for Jolly Tumbledown, a halfling cleric and part-time chef. Not that unusual, except that he tried to turn anything he found into a meal: herbs, small animals, monsters, rocks, whatever. He worked rather well with his partner Kurag the dwarven fighter and brewer, who made beer out of anything Jolly couldn't turn into a meal, even magic potions.

The height of their art was spicy giant ant and granite stew with a foaming pint of shrinky-zappy (brewed from a potion of diminution and oils of many hues, it shrank the drinker to half their height and turned them a random colour. Kurag never was very original with names.)

Junkheap

First Post
My dwarven cleric, who wears dwarven plate likes to mark his territory everywhere he goes. Kinda fun. Everyone knows my ritual. Ok, there he goes in the corner again.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Well the closest to a quirkness... was a dwarven fighter that carried this little pig around with him... it tended to squeal at the worst of times ! The piglet was a hassle.

Of course when we asked what the pig was for he looked very strangely at us... and didnt answer.... I still think it wasnt for the bacon. :eek:

Remove ads