• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Streetwise skill not needed

Sadrik

First Post
Keenath said:
Streetwise is a knowledge and research skill.
You'd use Arcana to know things about technical subjects or to find information in a library. You can use Streetwise the same way, except with city information and people instead of books.

Streetwise isn't what you use to make a gang of punks back down. That's intimidate or diplomacy. Streetwise is what you use to realize that these guys are Red Fangs, who follow a guy named Jack Twigs and are the sworn enemies of the Ironheads -- information you can then turn to your own advantage when you make those more direct skill checks.
I already have the other "knowledge skills" (nature, dungeoneering and heal) as int based skills for a number of reasons, I guess I can throw in this one and treat it as the others. Quite honestly, I don't see many players taking the skill. Nah still better to just ax it. To me it still seems either like a find the path spell or a lame "macro" version of diplomacy.

Kishin

First Post
Sadrik said:
I already have the other "knowledge skills" (nature, dungeoneering and heal) as int based skills for a number of reasons, I guess I can throw in this one and treat it as the others. Quite honestly, I don't see many players taking the skill. Nah still better to just ax it. To me it still seems either like a find the path spell or a lame "macro" version of diplomacy.

Honestly, I think you're viewing it through a very distorted lens if you think its on par with Ruin the Adventure , every DM's least favorite dungeoncrawling spell. Maybe you're being a bit overly concerned with protecting your city encounters? Its certainly not a solve all problems skill.

As someone else said, skills are there because Players are not their Characters. Not everyone who wants to play the shifty, ear-to-the-ground, finger-on-the-pulse-of-the-city rogue is built of that in mentality in reality.

Parlan

First Post
Sadrik said:
I don't mean to sound pig headed but, nah. My believability quotient is being challenged with the idea that somebody can come into a town and instantly know which ally is safe and who to avoid.

Really? Have you ever been to an American city? <-- No snark intended, I can't tell where you're from.

I'm one of the least streetwise people around, but even I know when you see these tells:

-check cashing stores
-pawn shops
-abandoned buildings
-sidewalks overgrown w/ weeds or covered in trash
-bars on all windows and doors
-bulletproof glass in front of the registers at the convenience store/liquor store

you'll want to watch your butt.

Slap a -2 on for PCs in an unfamiliar city, another -2 for an unfamiliar culture (I hear French balieues get pretty nasty, but maybe they don't use bullet proof glass?) and call it a day.

DM - "You come into the town where you are looking for the ruby."
Player - "I make a Streetwise skill check to find where it is." Rolls die, "20!"
DM - "At the bank."
Player - "We go there."

Two points:

If this is *a* ruby, for a minor spell component, I'd describe a montage of hours spent finding the gem merchants, talking to a couple to find one with the right price, and the purchase.

My players wouldn't want more than this. YMMV

If this some special ruby, like one "the size of a fist" with a Balor Soul Trapped inside, then the same montage would result, but the PCs would only get a couple of leads for people who have/are rumored to have a "large ruby". Presumably, no one would be able to tell the PCs that it has a Balor (poor Ruru!!) trapped inside b/c that info is just too secret. They'd have to find out that info some other way.

Bjorn Brimbooze

First Post
Any skill that reminds me of old games of Cyberpunk is a good thing in my opinion. Everyone in our group has fond memories of that game.

It helps you make better first judgements about surroundings/people. It's helpful but certainly not a "godly" skill like you seem to be making it out to be.

Don't like it? Don't use it. Simple as that. I just know it's great for our campaign.

Satori

First Post
It gives Warlock's a reason to participate in skill rolls.

Seriously.

The Rogue will likely have all their Dex skills trained, the Wizard will have all the Int skills trained, and the Paladin will likely have Diplomacy trained.

That leaves Streetwise and Bluff for a Cha focused Warlock.

Anax

First Post
Sadrik said:
I don't mean to sound pig headed but, nah. My believability quotient is being challenged with the idea that somebody can come into a town and instantly know which ally is safe and who to avoid. I think that should all be done through role playing and I dont like telling the players what is safe or not without an augury spell. Go there... find out for yourself... don't consult the prescient die roll. Again "macro" skill checks are not for me. If this ever happened I wouldnt like it:
DM - "You come into the town where you are looking for the ruby."
Player - "I make a Streetwise skill check to find where it is." Rolls die, "20!"
DM - "At the bank."
Player - "We go there."

That's not at all what I was intending to imply. The "tells" that a Streetwise character is looking for when evaluating people have to do with attitude and general behavior, interactions. "Okay--that guy is a bit shifty and is moving like somebody who's looking for a mark. He's probably a pickpocket. He has his eye on the fellow in the outfit that looks a bit like a uniform, so that guy's probably a guard." And so on.

The character is knowledgeable about how things are done on the street--how you should present yourself, and how others present themselves, specifically in the lower social strata.

Is that culture-specific? Yes. But then, so is Diplomacy. Knowing the correct forms of address in culture A doesn't immediately mean you know the right way to go about things in culture B. HOWEVER, the skill in the game embodies both the specific knowledge and the more abstract general knowledge. You don't know the forms of diplomacy in this town, but you do know what forms diplomacy usually takes. You pay attention and ask insightful questions and you end up not insulting the monarch.

Same thing with Streetwise. You may not know the local gangs, but you do know in general how gangs organize themselves, and what sorts of things tend to impress or fail to impress people in the lower social classes. As above, so below--but... different.

Anyway, in my opinion, streetwise doesn't tell you who's safe and who's not. It tells you whether they're dangerous because they have gang members watching their backs or because the law is on their side. If they were safe, you'd be up in the high town making diplomacy checks. ;>

As for the finding a major plot item, that's clearly ridiculous. Just about as ridiculous as making a Diplomacy check in 3E with a +30 skill modifier to turn somebody from an enemy into an ally. ^_^;;;

As the DM, you do what you have to do to keep the story rolling. You don't waste time on trivial stuff--if something impinges on the plot not at all, you probably just let people do it. "We need to buy a ruby." Okay, you can find a merchant and buy one. "We need to buy a *cheap* ruby." Okay, make some skill checks to ask around. (If the DM is looking for a hook, a cheap ruby from Streetwise might be rather hotter than the players would like.) "We need to find the Dread Ruby of Rules Lawyering." Well, sorry, nobody on the street is going to be able to tell you where that is--but your Streetwise character can spend a bit of time listening for rumours in low town while your Diplomacy character mingles in high town, and they can compare notes.

The final thing I'll say on this subject: Social skills are both very useful and very problematic for role playing. The down side of them is that if you don't use them well, you end up just rolling dice instead of talking through encounters. However--some social interactions (finding a place to stay for the night that's reasonably comfortable and cheap) don't need to be played out if they distract from the plot. DM has to decide which things need to be played out.

The up side is that these skills let us play characters that are not like us. This is particularly important when playing "up" the skill level. Back in 3E, things like the +30 diplomacy modifier? How do you simply role play being that diplomatic? I'm sorry, you can't. Hell, Jimmy Carter can't. There's nobody in the real world who's that diplomatic. The skill modifier represents superhuman levels of skill, and while the player should put a little effort into saying something other than "I make a Diplomacy check", they're not going to be able to make as convincing a case as their character could, no matter how hard they try. At that point, the dice decide whether the immovable demigod or the unstoppable bard gives first.

4E has made things a little better on these lines by dividing things up between tiers, and saying that challenges should be level-appropriate. Sure, if a level 30 bard strolls into his home town, he should be able to talk just about anybody into anything at all. But he's not bumming around there much any more--he's hanging out in Sigil, and pretty much everybody is out of the ordinary out that way. This keeps the range of possible outcomes in the more humanly conceivable range. (No more talking an enemy into being a bosom buddy with one die roll.)

But you still have the issue of, for example, a very shy player who wants to play a character that's not like them. We roll dice for our characters to fight, we don't arm-wrestle the DM. We do apply some tactical thinking to fighting as well--but that's not the whole picture. Same thing with social interactions: you do some thinking about how you want to approach things, and the DM and the player interact, and then you roll the dice as well. Then the DM can give a minor bonus or penalty depending on whether the approach is extremely appropriate and insightful or whether it's just plain stupid. But still, the skill modifier should be the most major thing involved--you need to do more than just talk it out.

I do think that the most important thing is to think of both of these skills as being primarily social and not knowledge skills. The "knowledge" you can get out of them with a long (hour, day, whatever) skill check is really the result of a lot of activities all rolled up. That's why the DM always has to be thinking about the "speed of plot" for a given use of the skill--keep the pace of the story correct, and everything will be fine. Don't waste your players time with inconsequentials, but don't let them get away with ignoring meaningful interactions with NPCs (unless your whole group is just in it for the fighting and you're ignoring all of that sort of stuff.)

Choosing the wrong plot speed for social encounters is the same as varying the dungeon-clearing speed between "You took a five foot step? Roll to check if you stepped on a rusty nail. Ooo. Tetanus. That's going to sting." and "Roll a d20 to see if you defeat the dragon." Just as ludicrous in either place.

That's my take on things, anyway.

Wormwood

Adventurer
After reading this thread it made me wonder if Wis would be better than Cha for Streetwise...
Really? Not me.

When I envision a Master of Streetwise, I picture someone who knows where the action is and is *connected*. I imagine a hustler who knows the guy who knows the guy---and who can talk his way into (or out of) any situation.

Charisma? Force of personality and charm? Perfect fit.

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
Someone earlier mentioned that Streetwise rolled in Knowledge: Royalty and Nobility. I disagree. Diplomacy rolled in Knowledge: Royalty and Nobility. In my games, Streetwise and Diplomacy are almost opposite-caste versions of each other. That is:

*You strike a deal with the Duke or mayor with Diplomacy. You strike a deal with the barkeep or weaponsmith with Streetwise.

*Diplomacy gives you knowledge of formal culture - the arts and etiquette. Streetwise covers slang terminology and local street customs.

*Diplomacy covers the written laws. Streetwise covers what's actually enforced, written or not.

*You mingle well with the elite and powerful using Diplomacy. You blend in with the common folk with Streetwise.

There are also the foraging and almost civil engineering sorts of uses of Streetwise as mentioned previously but even without that they are very different concepts.

Remove ads