• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

striker leader hybrid?

jbear

First Post
I agree. The Battlerager would need high CON not WIS. If I was building a WIS Runepriest I'd take Combat Superiority which makes you nearly as good of a defender as a fully blown Fighter. I say again, nearly.

I'd still go Human. They are my favourite race, but that is just me. Mmmm 3 At will powers, nice!

Would there be much mileage in Avenger/Shaman? Decent AC so you could almost play defender (and with the spirit companion using your AC). Shared primary stat. And a nice toolbox for melee and spirit-melee.

DracoSuave

First Post
Would there be much mileage in Avenger/Shaman? Decent AC so you could almost play defender (and with the spirit companion using your AC). Shared primary stat. And a nice toolbox for melee and spirit-melee.

Except you have to spend the feat to get that decent AC, which means you don't have access to the Avenger's Censure, the Spirit Boon, or the Spirit's opportunity action until you forgo the paragon path you'd want.

It's certainly doable tho. I'd probably spend a feat on Unarmored Agility rather than the hybrid talent, eat the -1 AC and let the shaman buffs make up for the difference. Then take the spirit boon for the stalker spirit.

I might even consider taking Avenging Resolution to give brutal 2 to all your attacks against your oath of emnity target, which includes the spirit attacks, and Divine Channeller (healer's mercy) just to make up for the loss of utility from hybridizing.

bobcat_grad

First Post
Currently playing this guy in a short side adventure in our group while we take a break from my campaign.

I started with the idea I wanted a pirate type character, and ran with it.

Basically, a Half-Orc Hybrid Rogue (Brutal Scoundral)/Warlord with the Sword Coast Corsair paragon path - he's a blast to play. I"m an effective striker (Riposte Strike is great for a high strength rogue) and leader (Direct the Strike is great for me if I get locked down). I do damage when I need to and have a ton of ways to keep people up and running.

Now, I may have wasted two feats when I multiclassed into bard just so I could take the Arcane Familiar feat and get a parrot. But - I have a parrot!

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Captain Scrag, level 21
Half-Orc, Rogue|Warlord, Sword Coast Corsair, Deadly Trickster
Warlord Leadership: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Rogue Tactics (Hybrid)
Rogue Tactics (Hybrid): Brutal Scoundrel (Hybrid)
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign, Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival, Young Cutthroat, Wandering Mercenary, Occupation - Mariner (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 23, Con 12, Dex 24, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 15, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 35 Fort: 34 Reflex: 35 Will: 30
HP: 136 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 34

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +20, Acrobatics +24, Thievery +22, Streetwise +20, Stealth +22, Athletics +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +10, Bluff +13, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +11, Endurance +15, Heal +11, History +10, Insight +11, Nature +11, Perception +11, Religion +10

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Rapier)
Level 4: Weapon Expertise (Light Blade)
Level 6: Backstabber
Level 8: Bardic Dilettante
Level 10: Arcane Familiar
Level 11: Opportunity Knocks
Level 12: Red Cloak Student
Level 14: Fight On
Level 16: Sneaky Opportunity
Level 18: Combat Opportunist
Level 20: Flash of the Blade
Level 21: Robust Defenses

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Direct the Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Riposte Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Provocative Order
Hybrid daily 1: Bastion of Defense
Hybrid utility 2: Shake It Off
Hybrid encounter 3: Nasty Backswing
Hybrid daily 5: Bloodbath
Hybrid utility 6: Blind Spot Advantage
Hybrid encounter 7: Wild Runner Strike
Hybrid daily 9: Profit from Weakness
Hybrid utility 10: Defensive Rally
Hybrid encounter 13: Toppling Slash (replaces Provocative Order)
Hybrid daily 15: Bravura Charge (replaces Bastion of Defense)
Hybrid utility 16: Denying Stance
Hybrid encounter 17: Guerrilla Blitz (replaces Nasty Backswing)
Hybrid daily 19: Marked Beating (replaces Bloodbath)

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Dagger (2), Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Jagged Rapier +5, Summoned Anathema Armor +5, Bloodgem Shard +4, Oceanstrider Boots (paragon tier), Ring of Invigoration (paragon tier), Helm of Able Defense (paragon tier), Counterstrike Guards (paragon tier), Gloves of Missile Deflection (paragon tier), Distracting Tattoo (heroic tier), Belt Pouch (empty), Climber's Kit, Backpack (empty), Disguise Kit, Sunrod (2), Thieves' Tools, Waterskin, Woundstitch Powder (heroic tier), Hunter's Flint (heroic tier), Everlasting Provisions (heroic tier), Ruby Scabbard (heroic tier), Vagabond's Die (heroic tier), Skeleton Key (heroic tier), Potion of Clarity (level 15) (3), Potion of Mimicry (paragon tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Dire Human

First Post
Zerthimon said:
"Many in unison can accomplish more than many alone."

Taking the teachings of his monastery to heart, Zimmil the Unifier is a fledgling Githzerai warrior who views his glaive not as a weapon, but as a banner: something to be rallied around in the heat battle. The temples of the Githzerai teach focus, discipline, and harmony, and it is the last of these virtues that he trains to become a paragon of. Surely it is noble, he thinks while questing far from home, to ensure that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Zimmil the Unifier, level 3
Githzerai, Artificer|Avenger
Hybrid Artificer: Hybrid Artificer Fortitude
Hybrid Avenger: Hybrid Avenger Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Avenger's Censure (Hybrid)
Avenger's Censure: Censure of Unity
Background: Githzerai - Cenobite Initiate (+2 to History)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 8.

AC: 16 Fort: 15 Reflex: 16 Will: 16
HP: 36 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +8, Thievery +6, Arcana +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Bluff, Diplomacy, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +2, Heal +5, History +7, Insight +5, Intimidate, Nature +5, Perception +5, Religion +5, Stealth +1, Streetwise

FEATS
Level 2: Melee Training (Wisdom)

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Bond of Censure
Hybrid at-will 1: Magic Weapon
Hybrid encounter 1: Pass at Arms
Hybrid daily 1: Flameburst Armor
Hybrid utility 2: Arcane Anchor
Hybrid encounter 3: Hypnotic Distraction

ITEMS
Dislocation Glaive +1, Robe of Avoidance Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Bracers of Respite (heroic tier), Amulet of Physical Resolve +1
Zimmil the Unifier excels in a party made up primarily of melee classes, especially if there's a primary Leader to assist him in healing. The game is simple: surround your enemies one at a time and decimate them. Start always by marking an enemy with your Oath and pulling them with the Bond of Censure. Once your allies have closed in and you have maximum benefit from the Censure of Unity, suck the enemy in even more with Pass at Arms, or commence attacking and buffing adjacent allies with Magic Weapon. If you're taking a pounding, use your Bracers of Respite: you're a bit squishy at this level. There's not a whole lot of healing to this character, but your just might kill enemies fast enough that you won't need it.

---

Rendarr Thunderhorn said:
"Those who would doubt the stormlord's power need only gaze upon me, for I was a survivor of his wrath. What does not kill us makes us stronger."

On the eve of a great holy day to the Thunderhorn clan, a powerful rainstorm rumbled through the northern desert, sending tribes for miles scrambling to higher ground to escape the flooding. As Rendarr's home was washed away, he cursed the gods for such cruelty and destruction. A booming voice answered his call, praising his audacity, and the world went white. The next day his clan found him, the ground around Rendarr scorched and glassed but his body unharmed. His axe, however, still sizzled from its lightning-shaped branding: the symbol of Kord.

Rendarr Thunderhorn, level 3
Half-Orc, Cleric|Monk
Monastic Tradition (Hybrid): Stone Fist (Hybrid)
Hybrid Talent: Unarmored Defense
Battle Cleric Armaments: Weapon Proficiency (Greataxe)
Background: Geography - Desert (+2 to Endurance)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 14, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 10.

AC: 17 Fort: 16 Reflex: 15 Will: 15
HP: 35 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +10, Perception +8, Religion +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +6, Heal +3, History, Insight +3, Intimidate +3, Nature +3, Stealth +4, Streetwise +1, Thievery +4, Athletics +5

FEATS
Level 2: Battle Cleric Armaments

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Righteous Brand
Hybrid at-will 1: Dragon's Tail
Hybrid encounter 1: Rising Storm
Hybrid daily 1: Moment of Glory
Hybrid utility 2: Cure Light Wounds
Hybrid encounter 3: Split the Sky

ITEMS
Monk Unarmed Strike, Stoneskin Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +1, Greataxe of Shared Wrath +1, Cloak of the Walking Wounded +1, Acrobat Boots (heroic tier)
To sum up Rendarr's fighting style: prone. The more enemies that have to waste a move action standing, the better he can defend his allies. Prone also grants combat advantage when using melee attacks, so he's a Rogue's best friend. Surprisingly well-armored for a cloth-wearer, his claim to fame is Moment of Glory: not only does it re-enact his personal moment of glory once per day, but it also is a powerful protective tool (especially against prone enemies whose only option is to charge). He's got a lot of damage potential, but don't forget that both Healing Word and Cure Light Wounds benefit from Healer's Lore.

---

Sammy Lightfeather said:
"Just when I think I'm out, they drag me back in!"

The former Royal Jester for the Summer Fey Court, Sammy thought he could run from his humiliating job forever. After being caught and literally dragged back to the castle, he cried and pleaded for the Fey King to put him out of his misery, one way or another. Instead, his death sentence was waived in favor of his new position: Feywild Tax Collector. Simply glad to be free of his soul-crushing embarrassment, Sammy took their offer without a moment's thought. He's going to wish they had killed him instead.

Sammy Lightfeather, level 3
Gnome, Bard|Warlock
Hybrid Bard: Hybrid Bard Reflex
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Fey Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Will
Hybrid Talent: Bardic Virtue
Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Cunning
Background: Gnome - Estranged Fey (+2 to Endurance)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 17, Wis 8, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 15, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 16 Will: 17
HP: 36 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Streetwise +10, Acrobatics +7, Bluff +13, Perception +5

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +6, Heal +1, History +5, Insight +1, Intimidate +6, Nature +1, Religion +5, Stealth +4, Thievery +2, Athletics +2

FEATS
Level 2: Feyborn Charm

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Eyebite
Hybrid at-will 1: Vicious Mockery
Hybrid encounter 1: Blunder
Hybrid daily 1: Stirring Shout
Hybrid utility 2: Beguiling Tongue
Hybrid encounter 3: Otherwind Stride

ITEMS
Master's Wand of Misdirected Mark +1, Skald's Leather Armor +1, Amulet of Resolution +1, Jester Shoes (heroic tier)
Sammy's chief purpose is to be As Obnoxious As Possible™. With your high Intelligence, Virtue of Cunning and Blunder are going to have enemies and allies alike sliding around the field like madmen. Don't forget: Vicious Mockery lowers their chance to hit, making Virtue of Cunning even more likely to activate! Don't forget to look for the Charm keyword, as Feyborn Charm should affect nearly all of your powers. While Eyebite deals a deceptively small amount of damage, the Combat Advantage it creates makes it a great opener to make sure more useful powers such as Stirring Shout and Misdirected Mark actually hit. If the DM decides the monsters are tired of you and attack directly, use your Gnomish racial ability Fade Away to become invisible, then punish the adjacent enemies with a Combat-Advantage-boosted Otherwind Stride.

mneme

Explorer
Dire: cool stuff. That said, you do know that eyebite only gives you combat advantage on OAs and if you spend an action point, right? The invis expires at the beginning of your next turn, not the end.

For that reason, I'd be tempted to swap the Masters Wand of Eyebite (and take, say, Eldritch Strike for your Warlock at-will, letting you slide the bad guys around with your basic and melee attacks too!)

Dire Human

First Post
Dire: cool stuff.
Thanks!

That said, you do know that eyebite only gives you combat advantage on OAs and if you spend an action point, right? The invis expires at the beginning of your next turn, not the end.
I suppose I should have mentioned that it only works on an Action Point: I was thinking it, but I guess I didn't write it. Thanks for the catch.

For that reason, I'd be tempted to swap the Masters Wand of Eyebite (and take, say, Eldritch Strike for your Warlock at-will, letting you slide the bad guys around with your basic and melee attacks too!)
No no no no no. Sammy is not to be getting anywhere near the front lines. He doesn't have Prime Shot as an incentive, and he's not nearly as survivable as a pure Warlock would be. If you'd rather the Eyebite be the wand's Encounter power, I'd suggest Spiteful Glamor as the new at-will, seeing as how it's a great way to start off a fight and get the DM's attention. Take Eldritch Blast if there's a Ranged Basic Attack-granting character in the party, such as...

---

Cassi Riverbend said:
"Uh, hey, guys? I think there's something weird following us in this forest... and I think it likes me."

Some souls choose to become Shamans to better commune with the natural world. Others honor their ancestors by taking up the path, spreading the wisdom of the ancients. Cassi became a Shaman because the spirits wouldn't leave her alone, and if she's going to be pestered by mysterious forces she'd at least prefer to be in charge. A natural-born tracker and woodsman, the Primal Spirits were simply stories until her spirit companion began stalking her during regular patrols, begging for her to command it. Though reluctant to get caught up in anything bigger than her daily routine, she has to admit: her spirit companion makes a heck of a hunting partner.

Cassi Riverbend, level 3
Human, Ranger|Shaman
Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Fortitude
Companion Spirit (Hybrid): Stalker Spirit (Hybrid)
Hybrid Shaman: Hybrid Shaman Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Spirit's Power
Background: Adventurer's Scion (Adventurer's Scion Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 13, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 11.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 13, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 11.

AC: 18 Fort: 16 Reflex: 17 Will: 16
HP: 35 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 8

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +9, Nature +9, Perception +9, Endurance +7, Stealth +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +1, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, History +1, Intimidate +1, Religion +1, Streetwise +1, Thievery +5, Athletics

FEATS
Human: Sudden Call
Level 2: Vigorous Spirit

POWERS
Bonus At-Will Power: Twin Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Claws of the Eagle
Hybrid at-will 1: Nimble Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Hindering Shot
Hybrid daily 1: Blessing of the Seven Winds
Hybrid utility 2: Engaging Pursuit
Hybrid encounter 3: Spirit Hunt

ITEMS
Summer Growth Totem +1, Battle Harness Leather Armor +1, Entrapping Longbow +1, Amulet of Protection +1
Cassi is a girl who likes to be in control. Between her spirit with Engaging Pursuit, Hindering Shot, and Blessing of the Seven Winds, you're going to feel like a Leader/Striker/Controller. She's got a lot of utility, that's for sure, and though you can only use Healing Spirit once per encounter it's got a little more punch from Vigorous Spirit. Keep your enemies locked down and within Twin Strike range, fish for critical hits to activate your Entrapping Longbow (or Summer Growth Totem!), and generally make your enemies with they were never born. Cassi is fantastic with a mostly-ranged party, but will excel pretty much anywhere there's at least character with a decent Ranged Basic Attack.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads