• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Striking a ranged weapon resolution... ?

Hof

Explorer
Good day all.

I've been lurking on this board for a while now, but it's time I make my presence known for I have a question.

The striking of an opponents weapon confuses me somewhat. I understand the basic concept:
1) Defender gets an AoO (unless the attacker has Sunder)
2) Make an opposed attack roll.
3) if the attacker wins, deal damage to the weapon.

Now, it's step 2 which isn't entirely clear to me. Is the attack roll for the defender made as if he were using the weapon attacked? What if a shield was attacked instead? Or what if the attacked weapon is a ranged weapon, like a bow. Exactly what bonuses is the defender entitled to?
(The bonuses the attacker gets are pretty obvious; it's his attack action after all.)

Thanks in advance,

Hof

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Is the attack roll for the defender made as if he were using the weapon attacked?
Yes, if he is using it. If you attack your opponents weapon, his opposed attack roll is equal to his normal attack roll with the weapon.

What if a shield was attacked instead?
Use his normal melee attack bonus, which is BAB + Str modifier. Any enhancement bonus the shield has does not count in an attack roll, unless it is a separate weapon enhancement, like on a shield spike for instance.

Or what if the attacked weapon is a ranged weapon, like a bow.
It is an opposed melee attack roll, so use the defenders melee attack bonus like with the shield above.

Artoomis

First Post
From the FAQ:

...Also, don't forget grappling or striking the foe's weapon. Most spellcasters won't be holding a weapon, and foes holding ranged weapons don't threaten you, so you don't have to worry about triggering an attack of opportunity when using either tactic. Foes you've grappled can't step away from you until they escape your hold. Striking a foe's weapon is often less troublesome, and if you break it, you won't need to worry about ranged attacks. Normally you need to make an opposed attack roll to strike a foe's weapon or shield, but if the item you're striking is not a melee weapon or a shield, just use the rules for striking a held, carried, or worn object (pages 135 and 136 in the Player™s Handbook). Again, you'd normally trigger an attack of opportunity for striking the foe's equipment, but a foe armed with a ranged weapon doesn't threaten you. This can be a very effective tactic against opponents armed with bows. A longbow, composite longbow, or heavy crossbow has an Armor Class of 14 (base 10, -1 for size, +5 for being a held object) plus the wielder's Dexterity bonus and whatever deflection bonus the wielder might have, which makes it a fairly easy target. A shortbow, short composite bow, light crossbow, or repeating crossbow has an Armor Class of 15, which is same as a longbow, but they no size adjustment because these weapons are Medium-size. Bows have hardness 5 and 2 hit points (just like spears), crossbows are tougher (hardness 10, 5 hit points). If you have multiple attacks, it's usually best to aim your attacks with the highest attack bonuses at the opponent and save your later attacks with lower attack bonuses for the weapon. Often, you'll have difficulty hitting the opponent with these attacks, but you'll find the weapon an easier target.

Does that answer your questions?

Hof

Explorer
Thanks all, this sure clears things up

[makes a mental note to actually search in the FAQ next time]

Hof

Remove ads