Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos - First Party Review

Moonmover

Explorer
141 pages of this 224-page book is taken up by the adventure. That's well over half the book. It's an adventure book.
Regarding the owlin, WotC has of late decided to forgo providing virtually any socio-cultural background to any of their mechanics, presumably to minimize any possibly of anyone being offending and telling people not to buy their stuff via social media.

Doesn't appear to be necessary in this case.
They also don't have a lifespan, so who knows how old an Owlin student is? The only roleplaying suggestion is that maybe they are nocturnal (or not). It's stupendously barebones.

I'm still playing an Owlin in a nonStrixhaven campaign as we speak, though, because owls are cool.
There exists hardly anything about the world of Arcavios at large, either. Strixhaven more or less begins and ends at the school.
To be fair, the school is the point. You're supposed to be able to spend an entire campaign there.

A sidebar suggests that Strixhaven could be placed in Eberron, the Forgotten Realms, or a campaign setting of your own creation. And, I don't see why not.
I have the feeling that Strixhaven was initially written in mind to have students be of a much lower age range like in Harry Potter, but changed it around to university later on.
Since it ties in with a Magic: The Gathering setting, I doubt it. I don't know the whole production background, but it's likely that the worldbuilding was mostly done before work on the book itself began. I could be wrong.

Of course, freshmen college students don't have a reputation for emotional maturity anyway.
"I don't like Mallory Towers, what am I supposed to do with this!"
It does synergise quite well well with WotC's adventure collection books, like Candlekeep, Radiant Citadel and Golden Vault. I would aim for something like The Librarians TV show. A mentor sends the students off on an adventure-of-the-week. Make it very close to a comedy. Clearly, this campaign is not going to be a sandbox.
Ooh, I like this idea a lot. Especially for Lorehold students (how many other adventure modules involve exploring ancient ruins? A lot.)
"Stryxhaven is a really bad vacuum cleaner!"

"But Stryxhaven isn't a vacuum cleaner."

"By my personal definition of vacuum cleaner, Stryxhaven is a vacuum cleaner."

"But Stryxhaven does not suck up dirt!"

"Exactly, Stryxhaven is a really bad vacuum cleaner!"
If Stryxhaven is not a vacuum cleaner, why does it have a hose and a vacuum cleaner bag, and why did it come with a vacuum cleaner manual?
They didn't.
They said sourcebook with a single adventure.
Review clickbait sites called it an adventure.
Holding WotC accountable for what clickbait sites do is like insisting I'm responsible for cleaning your house
It's more like a single, bad adventure with some sourcebook dangling off the sides.

Throne of Glass is a YA novel by Sarah J Maas, in which a teenaged assassin is offered commutation if she will serve as the crown's personal killer. The only catch? She's got to exceed everyone else in the running for the job.

So there I was, one rainy day in the Barnes & Ignoble, and I'm looking for something to read for a couple of hours while my car's being fixed (this was back before I had kids and still had time to do stuff like burn two hours in a bookstore). So I pick up Throne, read the blurb and think, "Well this sounds great! Kickass hijinks, high action, and since it's YA, there's probably a neat romance angle in there too." I sat down, read it, and concluded that it was not for me. The promised action was quickly subsumed by the POV character forming a book club, getting into a love triangle, and discussing the myriad ways in which menstruation makes assassin training not fun (I empathize; that sounds naughty word). So I chalked it up to a divide between the author's vision and the marketing team's angle, and put the book down. But I frequently think back to it as a textbook example of how not to market a product.

I tell y'all this so you'll know how I usually deal with media that disappoint me - I just put them down and walk away. Strixhaven falls into a different category, that of "Products That Actively Piss Me Off," for reasons we'll discuss at the end.

Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos is the third (and so far, final) Magic: The Gathering setting released in a D&D supplement. It released 12/21 in the US for $49.95. I was excited as hell for this; I put it on pre-order for my Christmas gift that year. Theros had been excellent in helping realize divine beings' role in a campaign. Ravnica was genuinely revolutionary and helped usher in no fewer than six intrigue campaigns in my personal knock-off city. So getting a Magic setting for a magical school? Oh buddy, I was over the moon.

And then I sat down to read it and just...felt all of that excitement drain out of me. Strixhaven isn't just poorly designed and written. It's actively subversive to the characters making meaningful choices, which is the whole experience I am seeking in an RPG.

So in this review, I am going to go through Strixhaven and we're going to see what I mean. I'm going to take this chapter by chapter, and we'll discuss the various ways it removes agency, dismisses player choice, and fails to consider practically even the most obvious player actions (thereby setting the DM up to fail). At the same time, we're going to discuss what Strixhaven gets right, because there are some things it does very well, and that I think can be ported over and learned from. At the end, I want to take everything here and discuss how I would run a magical school campaign, how we can use Strixhaven's materials to make it more interesting, and what we can do to have some more fun with this material. As always, if you like Strixhaven and this is your absolute jam, this is not any attack on you. My tastes differ from yours, and I'm just offering my opinion on the work.

Things I will not be covering:
  • Anything not in the book; if you've got developer interviews, live-plays that "prove it can be fun," etc., go ahead and post them, but I'm not factoring that into my analysis here
  • The impact of any of the spells / magic items / backgrounds outside of the Strixhaven setting
One thing I want to clear up: Strixhaven ain't Harry Potter. Strixhaven also ain't an adventuring academy. Strixhaven is very clearly dealing with adult or near-adult students, in the context of the American higher-education system. No, not the one we actually have, but some kind of utopian made-up one that only exists in John Hughes' fever dreams. For example, you could reasonably expect stories set in higher education to deal with / comment on:
  • Student inequality on campus (wealth, race, gender, ableist, etc)
  • The predatory nature of student lending
  • The exploitative nature of student athletics
  • The frequently brutal nature of faculty politics, assignments, and perquisites
  • How underfunding the education system places students and educators at risk
  • The risks imposed by censorship or political control over curricula
  • The benefits provided by higher education, including the specific case for studying the humanities
If you thought Strixhaven was going to deal with any of these, congratulations! You have thought more about this book than the developers did. Strixhaven instead deals with the more pressing matters of frog racing, steam mephits harassing kitchen staff, and magical sports. Now, if you were worried there might be some stakes to any of this, don't be! If anyone falls unconscious, a faculty member shows up, deals with the problem, heals the PCs, and tells them, "Better luck next time, champ." Did you want to treat social stakes seriously and wonder if your character might be expelled for misbehavior? Nope! It never comes up. Wondering how your PC will afford tuition at this elite university? Well, don't! There's no map for the bursar's office, and it's never ever described how anyone pays for college.

Are you also wondering how they square the circle of having an Edenic, safe, respectful college while also having opportunities to adventure? Please stop. The adventure mostly handwaves this concern with, "The teachers are caught out of position to stop the threat; only the PCs can help!" This, of course, raises two questions in my mind. 1) How often does this happen? Are there just mounds of dead students not coming back from field trips? 2) How do these poor teachers not all have PTSD? If they're busy trying (and failing) to save students, how do they deal with the stress? God I bet alcoholism is secretly rampant here!

This is why the "It's low stakes! Don't overthink it!" argument fails to move me. It's not "low-stakes" it's a complete lack of stakes.

So let's GET STARTED ON STRIXHAVEN!!!!! All aboard the Strixhaven Express, the railroad the book never mentions but you should definitely put in!

Strixhaven retails for $27.99 on Amazon, but $49.99 from Wizards of the Coast. It details a magical school, Strixhaven University, where students use magic to enhance their studies. The vibe they're going for here seems to be somewhere between "utopian" and "Edenic." The students never need to worry about tuition, never need to refill their meal plan, and there's an occasional owlbear rampage but the teachers deal with it. This might be going for lighthearted, low-stakes storytelling, but the text functionally offers no stakes the PCs need to be worried about.

Strixhaven is governed by five different magic colleges. Lorehold is mostly concerned with history, Prismari with art, Quandrix with math, Silverquill with social sciences, and Witherbloom with life sciences. All five adjoin the central campus, with all five being on separate demiplanes linked to the main campus in the middle. Each college was founded by a dragon who embodies the tensions within each college that produce magic itself. So within Witherbloom, magic is produced by the tension between life and death, and only a true master can fully understand both. The idea of magic as a dialectic is genuinely interesting worldbuilding! Honestly, I wish it went somewhere, but it's mostly just ignored for the rest of the book.

After that, we get into Chapter 1: Life on Campus. This 20-page chapter leads off with a quick discussion of how students chart their courses of study. Each student gets two faculty members who coach them in the nuances of that particular college, helping those students decide which part of the false dichotomy of the college to engage with. So in Prismari, you might have one professor who encourages you to refine your technical skill (Perfection) and another who encourages you to view life itself as a canvas you can paint on (Expression). How does this inform class selection? Don't know. The book literally never makes any of this concrete. A lot of this is walls of text that could be safely cut without risk. There's literally a section on what an instructor is.

The main campus is detailed in a few pages, including the professor emeritus' house, the local café, library, etc. This is all thumbnail sketches, with notes that "This location comes up in Chapter X." So if you want the map for the Firejolt Café, it's located in the encounter about frog-racing. Hope you like bookmarking.

After that, each college is detailed in a three-page spread. Each college has the conflicts within it detailed pretty thoroughly. Each college also has five faculty described, though it's never really identified why a dean would interact with undergrads that extensively. Each campus also has some key areas get roughly described, and then we're on to the next college. This is good information to know, but none of it keys into an adventure, or an encounter, or really anything I can use to put in front of my players:

Ce8QzCM.png

Thanks! What the hell do I do with this?
Like, that's good to know that the Lorehold campus has this massive row of effigies you can walk into, but what the hell do I do with that to create an adventure? Where, in fact, is the adventure in this book? It's full of happy, well-adjusted people having fun! That's awesome! It's also kinda boring. There's nothing to do; no adventure to be had. By this point in Ravnica I had at least three characters I wanted to play. In Theros I was gobsmacked by how much my gods were leaving on the table when they've been interacting with PCs. Here? I got nothing.

The phrase I most associate with Strixhaven is "missed opportunity." They really could have made this book shine. I mourn what could have been; but that's it for tonight, y'all. Tomorrow, Sparky's gotta go do some BUDGETING!!!

Oh Yeah GIF

BUDGETS ARE RAW CHAOS UPON WHICH WE INSTILL THE WILL TO LIVE, BROTHER!!!

Next time, folks, tune it to discuss Chapter 2: Character Options!

That's because the broader setting of Archvious itself was absolutely undercooked. They should never have done a 1 set setting that doesn't actually explore much beyond a single university. I loved the Strixhaven setting, but it just wasn't ready.

Of course now that MtG's setting are ruined and I will never trust their world building team again, it never will be ready.

Theros had 4 sets and plane guides that actually explored the plane as a whole and a proper novel, Ravnica had nine sets, and 9 novels. Strixhaven had 1 set, never explored the broader setting to create a context for the university, and got 5 chapters of Internet fiction that was okay at best and 5 internet short stories, most of which were really good. Not enough when the D&D team can't colour too far out of the lines set by the MtG team. Even Radiant Citadel had more broad setting meat, even if it needed more, it should have been 2 full sized books, one setting book and adventure anthology.

And they shouldn't have crammed an big adventure into what was supposed to a setting book, it's a huge pet peeve of mine that they keep doing to Setting Books, and it just hogs page counts, reducing the quality of the rest of the product. Adventures should be sold seperately.

141 pages of this 224-page book is taken up by the adventure. That's well over half the book. It's an adventure book.

They also don't have a lifespan, so who knows how old an Owlin student is? The only roleplaying suggestion is that maybe they are nocturnal (or not). It's stupendously barebones.

I'm still playing an Owlin in a nonStrixhaven campaign as we speak, though, because owls are cool.

To be fair, the school is the point. You're supposed to be able to spend an entire campaign there.

A sidebar suggests that Strixhaven could be placed in Eberron, the Forgotten Realms, or a campaign setting of your own creation. And, I don't see why not.

Since it ties in with a Magic: The Gathering setting, I doubt it. I don't know the whole production background, but it's likely that the worldbuilding was mostly done before work on the book itself began. I could be wrong.

Of course, freshmen college students don't have a reputation for emotional maturity anyway.

Ooh, I like this idea a lot. Especially for Lorehold students (how many other adventure modules involve exploring ancient ruins? A lot.)

If Stryxhaven is not a vacuum cleaner, why does it have a hose and a vacuum cleaner bag, and why did it come with a vacuum cleaner manual?

It's more like a single, bad adventure with some sourcebook dangling off the sides.

To do place it in another setting right, mire effort has to be put into it, like at least a couple of pages discussing were to see to place it in a given setting, how does it fit into the setting with its factions and nations and unique elements/mechanics/flavour, etc..., a tiny side bar is not enough to do that right.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I bought Strixhaven and was likewise excited. I was hoping for something along the lines of 3E's Redhurst Academy of Magic (which has been essentially memory holed, as it came out during the 3E/3.5 transition and got completely ignored). That book, done as a student handbook marked up with snarky comments in the style of some 5E sourcebooks, lays out a campus full of intrigue, a recognizable campus life, hints at trouble to come and plenty of crunch in the back of the book for those who want it.

In contrast, getting a similar product with Strixhaven means cutting the book apart and reassembling it yourself. (Putting key locations in adventures is maddening to me.) There's also a ton of DMs Guild products that, together, I suspect could turn this into a fully-featured setting (although it looks like the surrounding world of Arcavious is still extremely under-detailed), but that again means dropping another $30 to make the book into the one I thought it would be to begin with. These things aren't supplemental, the way the many excellent Radiant Citadel ones are: They're required to make the book functional at all.

If it was a good setting for DMs to bring their own adventures to, that would be one thing, but it doesn't come close to managing that.

Exasperating.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast

"Owls are cool" seems to be literally all they were going for. See the haregon in the Feywild adventure for "rabbits are cool".

Sparky McDibben

Adventurer
Now, the Harry Potter connection is obvious.
I don't actually think they were drawing on Potter, for reasons I explain below.

The "stakes" are generally about who is friends with who, with characters only occasionally at risk of death, or worse, expulsion. If you are interested in running a low stakes game like this I have a few suggestions: Catch a few episodes of the resent BBC adaptation, rather than wade through Blyton's extremely dated novels. Make sure your players are okay with a low stakes game with the emphasis on role-playing rather than combat (i.e. a Critical Role+ style of play). Encourage your players to start out as rivals, rather than friends. Try to avoid too many "all may family are dead" backstories. Family members are very much alive, and are important NPCs with high (possibly unreasonable) expectations.
This is probably the best counterargument to my critique, but I think it fails for one key reason. The relationships can't be stakes because they both 1) never change as a result of the adventure events, and 2) are never threatened by anything.

In short, nothing changes as a result of the PCs' decisions. They don't actually do anything of consequence, and therefore there are no stakes in this campaign. If the relationships were threatened, like if there were a reason Alice couldn't associate with Brigid, for example, then we'd see social stakes. But as I stated earlier, the campaign never treats those stakes seriously; they're always ignored or used as hook fodder.

It does synergise quite well well with WotC's adventure collection books, like Candlekeep, Radiant Citadel and Golden Vault. I would aim for something like The Librarians TV show. A mentor sends the students off on an adventure-of-the-week. Make it very close to a comedy. Clearly, this campaign is not going to be a sandbox.
I actually think that could be a kick*** sandbox, personally. Let the PCs choose what to get involved in, and oscillate between "field trips," family breaks, and campus drama.

If you like sandboxes, high stakes and combat, then don't buy this book, it's not aimed at you!
This would have been excellent to know before I bought the book, but too late now.

Some are probably already expecting this, but other media that Strixhaven leans towards

The Magicians
Winx Saga
The Order
This dovetails into the Harry Potter series point above. I don't actually think that WotC were drawing on any of these sources. Magicians, Winx, and The Order are all pretty dark fantasy. Sure, they're CW'ed up, but at their heart, they're about placing characters in perilous situations where they have to use their wits to survive. Harry Potter also runs against the utopian grain of Strixhaven; Rowling clearly loves her whimsy, but there's a ton of pressure and action, too. Those kids are almost killed on an annual basis! No, I'm not sure what Strixhaven is going for, but I don't think it's any of these listed inspirations. Otherwise, we'd have seen a better job capturing the feel of those inspirations.

In contrast, getting a similar product with Strixhaven means cutting the book apart and reassembling it yourself. (Putting key locations in adventures is maddening to me.) There's also a ton of DMs Guild products that, together, I suspect could turn this into a fully-featured setting (although it looks like the surrounding world of Arcavious is still extremely under-detailed), but that again means dropping another $30 to make the book into the one I thought it would be to begin with. These things aren't supplemental, the way the many excellent Radiant Citadel ones are: They're required to make the book functional at all.
If you want to drop links to any of those products, feel free! (And if you have any Radiant Citadel ones, please drop those! I loved that book, so I'm always interested in other supplemental info). And thanks to @Libertad for dropping those Strixhaven Discord and reddit links above!!

Alright folks, let's get into Chapter 3: School Is In Session!

This is the second-largest chapter in the book, and gives us what passes for the adventure structure in Strixhaven. It starts with some brief essays about running the adventures that make up most of the book as either a campaign or standalone adventures, leveling folks up, and there's a whole paragraph on the contents of the poster map. That is really weird to me - I can see what's on the poster map just fine, thanks.

Next it goes into the passage of time. Ooh! Awesome! We might get a Pendragon-style structure that abstracts a lot of time passing, letting us have key moments in the narrative, weaving in and out of the time-stream like salmon racing to spawn!

Nope.

Time does pass in Strixhaven, but as opposed to Pendragon (where each season has a purpose, and there are interesting mechanics that reinforce all manner of fun activities like Feasting and Glory), we get this:

"You can decide how fast time passes..."

"You can conduct roleplaying scenes..."

"You might also narratively describe developments..."

This is horrendously unspecific DM advice. It gives no meaningful advice on when to trigger these scenes, when to allow player initiative, or what a roleplaying scene is and how to keep the rest of the table engaged when only one player is speaking. All of these are hard things to learn (or they were for me, at any rate), and having such incredibly vague "advice" sets new DMs up to fail while steadily increasing my blood pressure. The other big implication here is that all encounters should be assumed to occur when the PCs are at 100% capacity (since there's no modification to long resting).

After that, the book starts talking about the Strixhaven-specific stuff your character does over the academic year! Campus jobs, extracurricular activities, examinations, and relationships!

Hot take: These are all good things to include, but the execution is not great.

Starting with extracurriculars and jobs, you can have either two extracurriculars or one extracurricular and a job. Each extracurricular activity has two skills and two NPCs associated with it. While in an EC, you gain a Student Die (a d4), and can apply it to either of the two skills the EC covers. So if you're in the cheer squad, you can add a d4 to either Perception or Persuasion check, 1x per long rest. The assignation of skills to the various clubs is a little iffy: I've known some very unperceptive cheerleaders, y'all. Or the fact that the Dead Languages Society has Athletics.

Yes, Athletics. In the Dead Languages Society. And before you ask, there is no flavor text justifying this choice.

Every year you're in an EC, you can gain a Relationship point (positive or negative, player's choice) with one of the NPCs in that club. This is ultimately why the "It's low-stakes soap opera!" counterargument fails for me. If it's the player's choice, then there's no risk of failure. There's never any relationship credibly threatened.

Jobs provide a Relationship point (again, player's choice) and 5 gp per week. "But wait!" I hear you cry. "The PHB daily rate for a skilled hireling is only 2 gp per day, and that assumes proficiency in a task!" Yes, you're quite correct, you devilishly awesome economics pro; the wage rate is terribly inflated. Much worse, there's absolutely nothing to spend it on. That'll come in handy next time, so remember that.

Finally, we get to Exams. Exams have a studying phase and a testing phase. In the studying phase, you need to make a skill check against a DC using any skill of your choice. There are examples in the book of using Performance to study. So don't worry - your players are probably going to breeze through this, especially because you can cast things like guidance, or, at higher levels, enhance ability. Success on the studying phase also gives you a re-roll for the testing phase. You can decide to pull an all-nighter studying for a test, giving you two re-rolls, but also giving you a level of exhaustion (and therefore disadvantage on all ability checks, making the rerolls of questionable utility).

Each exam consists of two preset checks, which are again subject to guidance and other abilities, which range from DC 10 to DC 20. Each test tends to have one lower and one higher (so the last exam has DC 13 and DC 20) so that PCs are virtually guaranteed to pass at least one. Failing both checks means you can't work a job or an EC until you pass another exam (because you're in tutoring). Passing one means you passed and get one Student Die (a d4) that can only be applied to the subjects that exam covered. Passing both checks means you get two Student Dice.

You can cheat, too! That's awesome! High-risk, high-reward! Unfortunately, the adventure devalues that choice. See, if you're caught, the only consequence is failing the test. That's right - no detention or expulsion for you! Cheat your way to victory! Romp your way to success! Who needs rules!?

And all of this winds up in this delightful little chart:
Nyi0faO.png

The real memories were of me spamming a cantrip to pass exactly one exam check each time, and putting this sheet in the trash
So let's look at the sum total of all this. We have some choices in what activities the PCs can get involved in. That's good! We have some choices about what NPCs to interact with. That's also good. Unfortunately, juggling all this is so convoluted it requires an entire second character sheet and yet is less useful than a cantrip. This is, in my book, the absolute definition of useless crunch. It sucks up a lot of time and yet has no meaningful impact on gameplay. Moreover, it leaves the PCs completely to the whims of chance on these exams, with only the hope of a re-roll to salvage the dice botching something.

Now we get into Relationship mechanics. These are a good idea that I think really could have used some time in the oven. Basically, when you interact with a student NPC, the player can choose to have a friendly or rivalrous response (a +1 or a -1 to the relationship). Note that there's no risk involved that you might be misunderstood or say the wrong thing - it's literally up to the player's choice. At +2 Relationship points the NPC considers you a friend, and you get some kind of Boon. At -2 points, the NPC considers you a rival, and you get some kind of Bane.

You can also become Beloveds with an NPC as well, which gives you Inspiration. This Inspiration refreshes on a long rest, and you get as many uses of Inspiration as you have Beloveds (so warm up the polycule!). So again, we have no risk in the actual mechanics. You can piss off as many people as you want, and accumulate Banes like nobody's business. Or you can be in love with half the student body (see what I did there?) and rack up Boons like crazy.

And that's sort of my problem with this system - it's all up to the player. If I'm that player, I want to be surprised by the NPC! I want to see them as a puzzle of sorts, where you need to figure out what they care about before you can even try to sway their opinions. What do they want? Who do they want in their life? What are their goals and aspirations?

Sadly, this was not included, and I can't recommend the Relationship mechanics as a result.

Now, though, we come to something that I think is actually spot-on: the NPCs themselves. There are 18 of them, and they all have a job or an EC where you can encounter them, and all of them get a neat personality sketch, some good art:
oRkwr51.png

Look at these guys! Who wouldn't want to hang out with them?

and a quick sketch of their goals, ambitions, or chief motivator. These are pretty well done, and I recommend having a similar roster if you try running a magical school of any kind.

And now, 19 pages into the chapter, is when we start the first adventure: Campus Kerfuffle! Before we get into the actual adventure, we get a quick overview of what's going on (this bullywug named Murgaxor is trying to cause chaos on Strixhaven campus), as well as some useful tables! One is a list of 1st year random encounters, with some more context than we usually get in a random encounter table, and the other is for sample first-year classes (Beginning Computational Magic, for example).

The boxed text that starts the adventure is quite bad: "The sights, sounds, and sparks of magic in the air are wondrous." No. Jesus, what happened to "show, don't tell," WotC? Yes, the art helps sell the "wondrous"-ness, but it can only do so much here. Good prose is necessary, too. We get a full-page map and a three-page key for the library (Biblioplex), despite most of that key being useless for the actual adventure. Some NPCs are positioned in certain spots for PCs to come back to, but if you want to keep track of which students hang out in the library, you're going to have to make that up, because it's not noted in the student descriptions.

We then get a scavenger hunt that throws the heroes together; I actually really like this as a starting hook of "how we all met." These kinds of icebreakers are hell for me, but they do work, which is why people keep doing them (and why I keep ducking invitations to them). What I don't love is what comes next: "That Trunk Has Teeth!"

The trunk in question is a footlocker stored in the Biblioplex that was treated with some of Murgaxor's corrupted ointment stuff and turned into a mimic. People start screaming, the teachers immediately get sidelined trying to keep order, and the heroes have to step up!

(It's worth noting that all the people here have more magical experience than the PCs, which begs the question, "Why the PCs?" I mean, you can use "fate" as an explanation once or twice, but that gets old, quick.)

So the PCs beat up the mimic. There's no exploration or interactive elements at all. Curious for such a socially-focused adventure, there's also no social element, like being able to save someone from the mimic. But what happens next is where the adventure starts to really break down. The PCs get a platinum piece (at first level!) from a guidance counselor, who says she's going to talk to someone on campus about this (also if any PCs go unconscious, said counselor heals them up from zero). The PCs can also discover a black balm leaking from the trunk. The guidance counselor says, "Aw, that's probably nothing. Thanks again!" and flies off.

Does the adventure give guidance for how the PCs can investigate on their own? Nope, and it goes to some lengths to deny them any information or leads to follow up on. Does it give the DM any guidance on how the PCs might get roped back into the main plot? Obligatory Alexandrian Plug Here. Also nope.

Choo Choo Vintage GIF by US National Archives

All aboard!
After this, the PCs go race some frogs at Firejolt Café, which also has a map and key that has no bearing on the adventure, but are here for ... reasons? Anyway, the setup for the frog races are, "Hey, you guys wanna race some frogs?" And that's it. My first question is...what if the player says no? "Hey DM, racing frogs sounds like exactly the thing my studious, bibliophilic, nerdcore wizard wouldn't want to do" is a perfectly valid response here. After all, if it's set at a school, then I'm going to build a student. And unless I need some biology lab credits, what on earth would I care about some frogs?

Before anyone tells me that the PCs should go along with what the the DM has prepped, the DM should also include hooks that motivate their characters. .

There's also some text about a relationship encounter. That's really interesting!

Is there guidance on how to run it? No.
What it looks like? No.
Pop culture touchstones? No.
Was it discussed in the Relationships section? Also no!

So Strixhaven created a whole new encounter type and never bothered to give DM guidance on what those encounters should do. Fascinating.

Anyway, rant over. The PCs can do a quick skill challenge to race these frogs. Yay. Then the frogs mutate and go nuts! Oh no! The faculty is....completely absent. Well, OK, the PCs can step in! Fortunately, it's only four giant frogs, and once the fight's done, the café manager comes out to help (she also comes out to heal up PCs that fall to zero).

Once the PCs inspect the frogs, they find the same kind of oily substance they found in the mimic trunk. Certain that some dark forces threaten the university, the PCs....go to an exam.

Literally, the next thing after "finding the weird magic balm" is "go to an exam." No room for investigation or player initiative at all, which is trivially easy to plan for!

This is just setting the DM up to fail.

Alright, at this point, folks, we're not even halfway through this first adventure and I'm just kind of exhausted with beating on this dead horse. So I'm going to call it a night, and we'll pick up tomorrow with the first exam!

Thanks for all the interest and appreciation!!!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm generally fine with the idea that PCs and NPCs function differently from one another in 5E. (I had to make way too many custom spells in 3E in order to "justify" giving an NPC an ability.) But the bullywug wizard feels a bit off.

Why not make the wizard either be a previously published PC race or put Bullywug into Strixhaven as a playable race and make a lot of people happy? This feels very much like the adventure writer wasn't talking to the product developer or vice-versa.

And crucially, it doesn't provide any explanation or any structure for how to play it differently from standard 5e, if that was the expectation.

Having an adventure structure where characters who are grown adults are supposed to study quietly for 3-4 weeks at a time until the next weird thing comes along just isn't workable for any D&D players I've had. Players want to DO stuff, they're going to want to explore the campus and look for parties and meet up with other people on the campus.
Yeah, agreed. D&D's base assumptions (the old 'implied setting' chestnut) are all about lethal combat. The spell list (and this IS a magic school where you go to learn these spells...) is overwhelmingly centred around spells to let you messily murder monsters.

If they'd made a conscious effort to make Strixhaven 'the social interaction pillar' book, and include a whole bunch of DM advice for running a less-combat-focused campaign, expand on the bonds/traits/flaws mechanic to emphasise character, a bunch of non-combat or non-lethal spells, and include some actual well-thought-out and tested new mechanics for relationships, study, etc (the stuff we got in the book, as @Sparky McDibben details, was none of these things) etc - then this could have been a genuinely good product. I mean, I didn't personally like what VRGtR did with the Ravenloft setting, but the GM advice and toolkit stuff in that book was excellent.

But they copped out on doing all this work, which leaves us trying to run Mallory Towers with a toolkit from The Expendables.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Indeed, I would describe Stryxhaven as a bold attempt to do something different that doesn't entirely come off. It's too radically different for people who are currently playing D&D to know what to do with it, and it's not a clear enough entry point for folk who aren't currently playing D&D who might "get it" better.
100% agreed. Not sure how it would work in play yet, but it gets some points in my book for being one of the boldest books WoymtC has attempted.

Remove ads