• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stronger zombie?

DanMcS

Explorer
The swarm type lets you bunch a lot of little creatures into one bigger creature that takes up some area and is more combat-effective.

Do the same thing with zombies, call it a mob o' zombies, and terrify your PCs today!

Also, nothing freaks players out like messing with basic assumptions that they thought they knew. Players "know" that zombies can take only half actions. Change that, and they'll be wierded out OOC, not just IC.

Stormborn

Explorer
Trap them. If they are created by a clever necromancer he can install various magical traps that go off on a command word or when attacked. Zombies that are basically "Delayed Fireball" spells waiting to happen work as mobile mines. It will also give your PCs somethign to think about next time they see a zombie.

dreaded_beast

First Post
Great responses everyone!

To give everyone a little background, this little zombie-fest is taking place in the ruined city of Tilverton. It has recently been overrun by a horde of trolls and rust monsters. There are corpses everywhere.

Last session ended when the PCs were exploring the empty husk of the former temple of Gond, when all the dead in the streets began to rise and start approaching them.

I figure that as a result of all the lives lost, gruesome deaths, bad vibes in the air, etc., the corpses begin to animate in the ruined city.

Plus, the players kept making "Resident Evil" references, so I figure, give em what they've been asking for.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Tome of Horrors 2: Zombie Lord. Pretty damn strong little fella. Also check out Necromantic Lore by FFG. I'm sure there's some cool zombies in there.

But if that doesn't do it, have them face down an Unhallowed Spell Stiched Death Knight with levels in Blackguard and Fighter.

VirgilCaine

First Post
dreaded_beast said:
Can anyone tell me where I can find or recommend a "stronger" zombie?

My PCs are all 10th level, melee-fighter types.

I want some "mindless undead" for them to go wild on, but challenge them at the same time.

Everyone else is going too elaborate.

Theres a (3.0) Zombie template on the WotC website, for FREE, and it keeps the base speed and elemental/alignment subtype...but not much else.

Sejs

First Post
Corpse creature template from BoVD, too.

Then just give 'em an infectious attack ('cause who doesn't love zombie plague?), and dial the int down to 0 for mindless fun.

This may be too rich for you, but Piratecat used some "zombies" that could unleash a burst of negative energy, damaging opponents and healing each other. Yeah, the deathbringer had this ability too, but it did pathetic damage, whereas these guys did 10d6 damage each (once per 1d4 rounds).

Remove ads