D&D 4E Strongholds, Followers, and Domains in 4e

Kerrick

First Post
I was thinking about this a bit last night, and I came up with something new.

A stronghold or domain's population is based on its owner's Leadership score, as noted below. All extra personnel are assumed to be families, servants, hirelings, etc. - not actual followers.

Code:
		Stronghold 	Domain
Basic		x1		x5
Average		x5		x10
Grand		x10		x15

So let's say you've got a Leadership score of 20 - that gives you 50 1st, 5 2nd, 3 3rd, 2 4th, and 1 5th level followers. If you've only got a basic stronghold, you can have up to another 60 nonessential personnel living there. If you had a basic domain, you could have up to 300 such people living in and around the stronghold.

Although, each stronghold/domain should have a population limit - you can't cram 120 people into a small keep, but you could into a larger one. Likewise, as your domain expands, you have more space for people to live - farms, nearby houses (in the city), a town around the keep, etc. The actual followers would be overseers, personal guards, crew chiefs, slave drivers, etc., while the extra people are the actual laborers, family members, etc.

Sigdel

First Post
I like what you've brainstormed so far. I think the best way to treat it is an artifact: when you do related things, your stronghold improves. I like the artifact system because it's outside the level system, it rewards PCs for wise management and it gives PCs a motivation to adventure.

I jotted down some very basic ideas related to strongholds-as-artifacts here: Strongholds - 4E "Classic" - General - Necromancer Games - Message Board - Yuku

Sorry to necro this thread but I have been looking for these rules for the last few months. I first saw them a few years ago and at the time they were not what I was looking for, but now that they are what I would like to use, I find the link-path that Khuxan posted a dead end.
So I am asking, begging, pleading, if anyone has a copy of what Khuxan first put up, or if Khuxan could put the rules up himself, I would be most grateful.

Remove ads