• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strongholds

Derfmancher

First Post
Alright, so being new here I figure I get my one random complete noob question. (As I am sure everyone does with their first post.)

Strongholds: I realize (from reasearch into the Stronghold Builders Guide that it is advised not to be something players deal with till level 9.

That said I am a part time DM for our group, although I appear to be the one that enjoys the task the most. I am considering giving my group of 7 (yes we run in a local game store, so we get both more and less but that is our average.) level 5 players, their very own stronghold. However I plan to make them fight to clear it, and earn the deed to the place. It would be built to my specifications as DM, and thus would be large but fit the needs of every character. The group loves things they do/own together as a team. They keep all of their random loot in a group holding (it was my idea the last encounter I played rather than ran) and the other DM's (there are actually 3) love to give the players copious ammounts of gold and free gear. They are basically playing level 5 characters with the equivalent of level 8 or 9 gear.

I realize the best way to fix this is to have everyone reroll. However this is the first time the entire group has kept a character without rerolling for more than 4 sessions. I want to encourage that. We are all new players, and I think the prospect of an outstanding stronghold as "loot" would make a good draw for them. Additionally any charcters that retire or go inactive could be said to go here.

Thoughts both on Strongholds in Pathfinder and on my situation?

dragonis111

First Post
Actually the stronghold should be in ruins due to it being abandoned and infested with monsters, which gives the players something to spend their extra gold on, so they can fix it up and upgrade it to better suit their needs after clearing and obtaining the deed for it.

Just make sure to factor in where the stronghold is in relation to sources of labor and building materials, it costs a lot less gold to build/fix a stronghold that is only a day or two caravan ride from a large city than it is for a stronghold in the middle of a barren wasteland weeks on foot from the closest village.

*punches a hole in your noob card* 4 more and you get a free exp point with your first insightful post. (just some humor)

Derfmancher

First Post
Thanks for the thoughts. I was actually going to have it be fully constructed to their needs (It is placed on a major land/sea trade route, so it has a lot of major features but cost a boat load to build in the first place. However I like the repair cost idea.)

To get around this they are going to find a map to the stronghold in their current dungeon, but it will be unmarked as to what lies at the "X". Then the players will investigate (trust me, they are super curious when they think there is major loot to be had) They find this previously prestigious outpost has been over run by a horde (i am thinking a theme, but haven't decided on a monster yet) then they must locate the real owner and earn/buy/steal/diplomacy the deed if they want it.

Also, any thoughts on good room ideas for the stronghold, that are not listed in the Builders guide? The guide is great, but I want there to be something really cool/unique about it outside of wondrous architecture.

Remove ads