• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Student of Battle" Feat Question

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
So.. quick question. The "Student of Battle" feat says that once per day you can use the warlord's inspiring word power. Does this mean that

a) once per day you can allow the target to spend a healing surge +d6

or

b) once per day, you pick an encounter and in that one encounter you can TWICE allow targets to spend a healing surge +d6 (not in same round of course), just as it's written on page 145.

In case this isn't clear enough, does Student of Battle grant you access to this warlord power just as it's written up on page 145 or does it grant you access to some lesser version of it?

My group says it grants you the lesser version - once per day you can allow someone to use a surge +d6, whereas when I first read it, I understood it to mean you get the whole "inspiring word" power once per day (as opposed to once per encounter, like a warlord would).

Any help? Does "power" in the feat mean the "effect" (HS +d6) or the whole box of text?

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Hmm.. maybe they are right. I see that it says "Class Feature" in the upper right hand corner of the box. I suppose the power is HS +d6 and the feature is that you get it twice per encounter. If I'd gotten the whole box of goodness, the feat would have said something about my having access to the class feature - am I right?

If you take the feat you can use inspiring word 1/day and that means exactly one use of inspiring word, you get the increased burst and the extra d6 that both depend on your lvl. But just a single use on a day.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
Ack... I probably wouldn't have chosen this feat if I'd understood how it worked, heh. At least it comes with a diplomacy. I may still end up retraining though.

Thanks man.

Mengu

First Post
Ack... I probably wouldn't have chosen this feat if I'd understood how it worked, heh. At least it comes with a diplomacy. I may still end up retraining though.

Thanks man.

One inspiring word a day, plus a skill is still a very nice feat, and its a life saver if your party has no leaders.

Natural 20

First Post
Are you sure about this "Student of Battle" interpretation?

Is there an official source that you can point me to that provides this ruling/interpretation?

I read the same words in the PHB and come to a different conclusion; need help - thinking of picking up this feat, but if it is only 1/day then it is lame and not worth the feat slot. Thanks to any who answer!

fba827

Adventurer
Is there an official source that you can point me to that provides this ruling/interpretation?

I read the same words in the PHB and come to a different conclusion; need help - thinking of picking up this feat, but if it is only 1/day then it is lame and not worth the feat slot. Thanks to any who answer!

it is once per day. there is a faq from wizards on their site (i'll have to hunt around for the link) where they talk about the cleric healing word power from multiclass (which is the exact same wording just for clerics instead of warlords) and they clarify that it is just once per day.

junkielectric

First Post
it is once per day. there is a faq from wizards on their site (i'll have to hunt around for the link) where they talk about the cleric healing word power from multiclass (which is the exact same wording just for clerics instead of warlords) and they clarify that it is just once per day.

I'm assuming this goes for all the basic multiclass feats?

The reason I ask is that the wording on Warrior of the Wild (or whatever the ranger one is) plus the wording on Hunter's Quarry makes it seem like you can add the damage once per round for the rest of the encounter. Another player at my table and I both individually read it like that, but both agreed with our DM that RAI is probably only using it once per encounter.

So I'm looking for a fourth opinion, mostly out of curiosity.

Lord Ernie

First Post
Check the Errata/Updates, for this one, at Official D&D Updates

For the ranger multi-class specifically:

PHB Update said:
Warrior of the Wild [Addition]
Player’s Handbook, page 208
Add the following sentence to the end of the second paragraph of the benefit section: “The target you designate as your quarry remains your quarry until the end of your next turn.”

So once, per encounter, and it lasts until the end of your next turn.

Note that multi-class feats remain very strong even with once/day or once/encounter attached, since quite a few of them are stronger than Skill Training. Although the Ranger one is still loads better than most, with a +1d6/tier damage bonus for two rounds, and a choice of one skill from one of the best skill lists.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads