• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stupid, blind, and dead deer...

Treebore

First Post
I know there isn't much time to react, and I'm glad the people involved are ok, but big stupid animals like this are blinded/hypnotized by the lights, ut if you sound the horn, they should snap out of it.

Also, antlers sell well on eBay, i was told.

AR

That sucker wasn't standing there. He ran onto the highway, crossing the left lane, and ran right into me. So in actuality the deer hit me, not me hitting it. I just won because I was in a ton and a half conversion van with a tough Ford body. Going about 60 miles an hour. One of his antlers broke off and couldn't be found, plus the Highway Patrolman didn't let me take the deer home. Which was fine, lots of blood, and I had nothing with which to protect my carpet anyways.

He was only a 3 pointer, so his horns weren't very impressive looking anyways.

He wouldn't let you take the deer? Gee, I wonder what he was eating later that week? I would have stripped the butterfly steaks at the very least and told the patrolman, my car, my meat. :) Then again, I'm from Southern Illinois originally and the police officer would probably have been happy that I wasn't poaching with a rifle out my window while driving (yeah, it happens). :erm:

Aeolius

Adventurer
I had my own deer encounter, yesterday afternoon.

I pulled into my driveway, 3/10 of a mile long and gravel that rests between two pastures, to check my mail. There, wedged between the bottom two planks of my 3-rail fence, was a young deer, scrambling to squeeze through.

Hopping the fence, I got behind the deer and twisted, turned, and pushed on its rear until it could slip through the planks. All the while it was bleating like a baby goat.

When it finally slipped free it immediately ran across the road and through my neighbor's yard, to a small forest.

Treebore

First Post

I pulled into my driveway, 3/10 of a mile long and gravel that rests between two pastures, to check my mail. There, wedged between the bottom two planks of my 3-rail fence, was a young deer, scrambling to squeeze through.

Hopping the fence, I got behind the deer and twisted, turned, and pushed on its rear until it could slip through the planks. All the while it was bleating like a baby goat.

When it finally slipped free it immediately ran across the road and through my neighbor's yard, to a small forest.

Cool!

Follow-up:

My insurance has declared my van totalled, so now waiting to get money so I can go get a new used car.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
He wouldn't let you take the deer? Gee, I wonder what he was eating later that week? I would have stripped the butterfly steaks at the very least and told the patrolman, my car, my meat. :) Then again, I'm from Southern Illinois originally and the police officer would probably have been happy that I wasn't poaching with a rifle out my window while driving (yeah, it happens). :erm:

The best part is the deer decoys they have for that.

Every other year at home (W KY) they'll have someone hop out and keep pumping rounds into one from point-blank range, wondering why it won't go down.

Brad

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Cool!

Follow-up:

My insurance has declared my van totalled, so now waiting to get money so I can go get a new used car.

May I humbly suggest a SUV or similar vehicle kitted out with the "Mad Max" body mod kit (complete with bumper wedge), so the next time you hit a deer, you get to keep your car AND the deer?

The best part is the deer decoys they have for that.

Every other year at home (W KY) they'll have someone hop out and keep pumping rounds into one from point-blank range, wondering why it won't go down.

Brad

Yeah, the State Police do that in my neck of the woods also, though Western KY sort of is my neck of the woods too. I only live(d) about 25 minutes from Paducah and my sister lives there now.

Jesus_marley

First Post

At least it didn't run into the road and get smoked by a guy in a Ford van going 60. that would have made Rod Serling proud.

Aeolius

Adventurer
At least it didn't run into the road and get smoked by a guy in a Ford van going 60. that would have made Rod Serling proud.

I thought about that after the fact. My driveway empties out onto a curved road with a 45 MPH limit; i.e. everyone goes 60. It would have been.... messy.

On a similar note, I have always wanted to put a life-size sculpture of a giraffe, dinosaur, or sasquach in the trees by my front fence, just to see how many cars end up in my neighbor's yard. I like my neighbor, so I have yet to test this experiment.

Remove ads