• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stupid Pcs that roll high

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
:) While I am no longer the DM for my group, there is one Player who I now play with who sometimes does stupid stuff, but always rolls really high when he really needs to and lhis PC lives on. As a DM I hated this, now that I am a player too I love it. Ahhhh, those silly PCs.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
One member of our group has the most atrocious luck with his rolls. It got so bad that, in our Birthright game, I took his dice away and gave him mine, so he wouldn't keep failing saves and missing attack rolls.

Now, same guy DMs the other game, which, at the time, I didn't participate in. His adventures were stocked with monsters and such that didn't really require good rolling; i.e. big tough melee things with really high hit points. So, two weeks go by, and everybody in the other game is fixing to lynch me, as the guy's rolling really well with his new dice and blowing through the party like they're tissue paper.

I'm still surprised I'm not swinging from the balcony over that one. :)

Brad

Ferox4

First Post
Another bad roller: The Cleric in my game has a Will save of +20 and he seems to roll a frickin 1 at least once per session. High level Clerics failing their Will saves can make a tough battle into a very deadly one in a hurry....

Dominated Cleric pretends to be curing a PC and casts Harm instead...... oops!

Grapeshot

First Post
Wanna hear something weird? I have a set of dice that I bought in the original 3.0 e box of starter dice. It was a novelty item I found on sale and decided that I wanted it. Anyways these dice consistently roll better then any die I have ever owned. I can prove it!! It's crazy!! I really think that WOTC made some dice that roll high to get you addicted to the game!! It's a conspiracy!!

Ferox4

First Post
However, for the last three sessions I've had one player rolling a d20 for random encounters and he has rolled no lower than a 19 on five or six consecutive rolls - much to the chargin of his fellow party members (19-20 being a random encounter).

Epametheus

First Post
We have a player that quite legitimately rolls crits with his PC's long spear pretty much whenever he needs to. There isn't any question of cheating; he rolls his dice on a flat-bottomed platter sort of thing, and can just pass around the 20 when it happens.

It's rather scary yet pretty cool. He's had a lot of do-or-die fights that have depended upon scoring that one crit, and sure enough, he gets it.

Perhaps coincidentally, this didn't start happening until the god he was loyal to contacted him and designated him as the god's prophet (his god was popularly believed be quite dead, and the Prophet was charged with the task of spreading the truth surrounded his god's "demise"); two sessions later, he got his first do-or-die crit in melee with a dragon. Poor dragon went from 2/3 HP to dead in a single round.

And it's happened like that ever since. He HAS taken Improved Critical to help the process, and there's only been one enemy I can think of it where it didn't work out for him (in that case, the monster only had like 10 HP left; he just had hit with a single attack, and missed on everything); I can't even say one fight, since he'd done it to a different enemy in that fight like two rounds earlier.

No one else in the party has pulled off the "dramatically appropriate" crit except for maybe once in the campaign. Hell, the player doesn't get these sorts of rolls with his other characters.

They only go the Prophet, who appears to have been blessed by whatever weird little godling reigns over table-top gaming.

Granted, it also seems specific to longspears in the game I participate in. I can think of another PC that critted whenever it was dramatically appropriate with his longspear (usually after he'd just given a flashy description of what he was doing) -- but then the player switched to the mercurial greatsword, and he quite literally never rolled a 20 on an attack roll ever again.

Except against another PC, but that's a different story.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I had just the opposite experiance from the former poster, my last character was a melee baised cleric, he had a dire pick (arms and equipment) 1d8 (x4) crit for 3 months of the campaign the only thing he critted was the parties fighter (while dominated) in the campaign, despite taking improved critical with the stupied thing. The last session of the campaign he goes toe to toe with a Balrog that we had been avoiding for several weeks. His PC fighter back up looses his head in the first round. The sorcerer is driven insane, the druids summons are rendered useless and its just me and him. Im fully a buffed 14th/1st cleric fighter. Hit, Crit, confirm, miss (see sig) he teleports to the other side of the field to recover. I follow and on the last round of my Divine favor I crit him again - 101 damage. Then I am reduced to -57 hp by the ensuing blast. I knew it was coming but thought it would be fire. You cant cast protection from energy to protect yourself from "blinding flash of light"

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Galeros said:
There is one Player who I now play with who sometimes does stupid stuff, but always rolls really high when he really needs to and lhis PC lives on.

This used to happen to a former player in our group, too. Turned out he was cheating. :D

Kylearan

First Post
Well met!

I used to have a player who started to roll really high, especially in seemingly suicidal situations, after he decided that he didn't like his current character any more and wanted to see him die in a heroic fashion. Didn't work out, he always survived due to his sheer luck. No cheating, we knew (ok, and checked) his stats, gave him dice infamous for their "1"s. Just plain astonishing. But lots of fun. The player started to like the character again after a while, just before the PC died ... due to normal dice-rolling.

Kylearan

The Shaman

First Post
Galeros said:
...there is one Player who I now play with who sometimes does stupid stuff, but always rolls really high when he really needs to...
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

The law of averages will catch up to him eventually.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads