• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stupidest things PCs/DMs have done

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
In a home-brewed Star Wars D6 campaign that my friend Kieth ran, I saw a player whose character was a traditional vampire of legend get hung up on his badassitude and dare a NPC to stab him in the heart. I remember Kieth pausing and saying...

"Dude. Are you sure you want to say that?"

The player in question insisted that not only did he issue the dare, but he added in some profanity to make it sound insulting, as well. The other players just stared in silence when Kieth rolled for NPC's attack and announced a heroic success... at about which time the light finally went on in the head of the vampire character's player.

I can still see the look on his face :D

Percivellian

First Post
Lalalei2001 said:
RIP Gerbo Tallywhacker

The session started with me (a gnome psion) and my friend Brandon (a gnome rogue). We began inside the Gnomish castle Snumpkin, where we awaited the orders of the king. The first thing that we always do in a session is to introduce and describe our characters. Brandon, being lazy, "didnt know how to make a character" so I did for him.

When the DM asked for his name and description he looked at his sheet and discovered that he had none (I had left this part up to him but he had forgotten). So our loving DM named him Gerbo Tallywhacker and made him gigantic, ugly and fat. Brandon, not wanting play such a miserable Gnome, decided to kill himself by jumping out the window.

The DM made him roll a will save to see if he had the guts. He rolled a 1. So then he was forced to roll a tumble check to try and save himself. He rolled a 20 and landed unscratched on his feet.

Angrily, Gerbo attacked the first person he saw, a castle guard. He missed with his unarmed strike (he had no equipment either), but the guard proceded to drop his sword. Gerbo of course picked up the sword and killed the guard in one hit.

Now frustrated, he ran frantically around the castle searching for someone to kill him. After he killed half a dozen guards, I put him out of his misery with an arrow through the skull. It being 3am we all then decided to go to sleep.

My stomach hurts from laughing at this.

saethone

First Post
i once played a 2e dwarven fighter

i was in a dungeon, and a trap dropped around me - stone walls surrouned me, giving me barely enough room to move.

I hear a voice in my head -"break the stick to escape"

now, this trap had fallen twice before...both times breaking the stick let them escape

my trap was different, the ceiling was on its way down - which didn't happen in the other ones

apparently i had mis-interpreted the dm...what had been a wooden plank the last two traps, was a staff of the magi in mine

i wasn't lucky enough to be teleported to a random plane of existence

Sravoff

First Post
2e: A halfling thief and a halfling fighter/thief slay a small colony of large insects by a major road. They connect the colony up to a small cave near by and live a bandits. When the kings calvary arrive, they run to thier cave, and toss all their gold down their only escape, the insect colony tunnels. Then block it up with rocks, and attempt to talk their way past the calvary. Needless to say, the calvary didn't believe them and they had just blocked their escape route....

2e) After the party is almost vanquished, the last remaining member charges the big bad undead guy. Can't remember exactly what undead guy it was, very nasty though. Did I mention the last party member was a mage? A mage wielding a club of disruption charges the big guy.......Nat 20. Spoiled the Dm's fun right there.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Lalalei2001 said:
When the DM asked for his name and description he looked at his sheet and discovered that he had none (I had left this part up to him but he had forgotten). So our loving DM named him Gerbo Tallywhacker and made him gigantic, ugly and fat. Brandon, not wanting play such a miserable Gnome, decided to kill himself by jumping out the window.

Your DM sounds like a complete [insert dirty word here]. I'd almost have to file this under 'stupid Dm tricks' - defining a player's character for them in the most demeaning, unfun, manner possible and then forcing them to play it against their will is anything but smart. Although... I suppose the player deserves some flack... if he was using his noggin, he would have stood up and walked out on the game at.

StupidSmurf

First Post
OK, the original AD&D system, my home-brewed campaign. Everyone was comfortably resting inside a friendly castle that was constructed near some kind of uncivilized woodlands. One guy decided that his character (a fighter named Yu Hengue) wanted to go off by himself and hunt deer in the forest. OK, fine. Aside from violating the old axiom of "Don't split the party," it's not too bad an offense.

Yet...

So, there he is, out in the woods. Alone. If I recall correctly, the exchange went something like this:

DM (me): OK, so your character's going deer hunting, right? What kind of missile weapon is he using?
Rich (Yu Hengue): Umm....he doesn't have one.
DM: Well, what does he have, then?
Rich: He has his long sword.
DM: His long sword. He's going to hunt deer with a long sword.
Rich: Yes.
DM: Is Yu Hengue wearing armor?
Rich: Of course.
DM: I see. So...to recap, Yu Hengue is running around the forest, clad in armor, waving around his long sword, in the hopes of running into a deer. That right?
Rich: Yep. Do I encounter any?
DM: (rolling encounter likelihood....no deer, but a gang of 5 ogres) Ummm...no. No deer. But you've just run face to face into a pack of five ogres.

(A battle ensues. I feel bad for Rich, so the ogres do non-lethal damage, just basically beat the Hell out of him and take his stuff, leaving him on the ground, bruised and beaten)

Rich: Yu Hengue groans "Owwwtch..." How far away am I from Castle Hawkhaven?
DM: About three or four miles. You're deep in the woods, pal.
Rich: I begin to scream for help at the top of my lungs. as I crawl in the direction of the castle.
DM: What?! Are you sure?
Rich: I need to yell loud so that the party can hear me. "Heeeeelp! Heeeeeelp!"
DM: (muttering under breath, shaking head...increased chances of an encounter due to excessive noise. An Ankheg results) OKay, lured by the vibrations of the noise you make as you crawl along the ground, an ankheg burrows up, bursts out of the ground (makes a THAC0 roll), grabs you, and drags you down into the Earth.

The End

Elemental

Explorer
It was a game of Rifts in the Phase World sub-setting. The characters had landed on a deserted, largely ruined ringworld in order to look into the origins of the super-spaceship they'd found. However, a band of Gun Brothers (mercenaries enhanced with bio-magical alterations, symbiotes and grafts) had landed on there, and was setting up camp round the area they needed to look at.

So, we had the robot, super-powered lizardman and Juicer observing the camp from some distance. A mage in the group started casting a spell, with no indication that he'd even seen the characters (it was some sort of warding).

So of course, they charge out and beat the mage to death in melee, in sight of the rest of the camp. They promptly get swarmed by dozens of soldiers. The robot gets destroyed, and I realised the other two PC's were going to follow soon. When the leader (whom I'd statted up with the intent that she'd be fighting all seven characters single-handedly) got lucky and KO'd the lizardman, I hastily made it so they'd been sent to capture the characters, and took the other two alive.

The really tragic part? Two of the characters had sniper rifles.

Sir Devria

First Post
While battling the dreaded Crimson Doom (ancient red wyrm) our fighter had the dragon land on him. After BARLEY surviving the crush he then stood up UNDER the dragon and stabbed it.When on his last action i looked at him and said, "so your under the dragon still, what do you do?"...Without hesitation he looked at me and said "I stab him again"...with that the dragon promply sat on him.

My PCs are often stupid... but so am I. Here are two stories.

One, my very first time playing DnD. 2nd Ed. I was a halfling thief with a high Charisma, 1st-level. We had to travel somewhere by boat, one big enough (barely) to hold our horses, so I went below the waterline to practice my knife throwing.

I rolled a critical failure. I really didn't think a knife could go through the hull like that. I didn't want to tell anyone I was sinking their boat. I'd get in trouble, after all. So I went to visit the horses, collected something EN's granny wouldn't want to hear about, and used it to plug the leak.

It didn't work. So I had to tell my friends what happened anyway. I left out what exactly I had used to plug the leak. I implored the other PCs not to tell the captain what happened, instead simply helping me fix the boat. Perhaps fortunately, they didn't listen. They went straight to the captain.

The captain, and the other PCs, were simply amazed at what they saw. Water leaking through a crack in the side of the boat's hull, plugged up by straw and ... other substances, which had ended up smeared all over the wall and smelling terribly.

The captain easily fixed the damage, and charged me a huge amount of money for it. I had no money. Fortunately the friendly fighter had some, so I had to pay him for wrecking the boat and getting horse doings all over the place.

The second is more embarassing than outright stupid. I hope. I'm used to playing characters who don't die. I was playing a 3.5 gnome wizard in a campaign DMed by Mr. T., who was annoyed that I bragged my PC couldn't be killed. (I was right, though.)

We were players in a Call of Cthulhu campaign. Invincible characters? No. We didn't even get to see our character sheets. But no matter, I was too smart to let my PC die. In fact, I'm such a genius that I managed to win a bonehead award for what I did in CoC.

In my defense, I was pretty smart until a kid delivered a magical letter to me. Not that I knew it was magical.

We were tracking down Cthulhu cultists, and (unknown to us) a Cthulhoid monster was hunting them as well. It looked for anyone who had received a magical letter. Anyone who received a letter (always the first person to get it) was magically marked. The letter had a bright red mark on it, which turned black as the victim's time approached. Getting rid of the letter wouldn't save the victim. However, solving the mystery could maybe allow you to survive.

I received the letter, looked at the mark, paid the kid a tip (or tried to, but he ran in terror - wonder why?), and put it in my pocket. I promptly forgot about it. (If I had looked, I would have seen the color change, realized it was magical, and maybe did something about that.)

Later on, we sent one PC to interview a cultist, an old lady, who lived in an apartment building. She charmed him and sent him away. He told us she was an innocent old lady. However, I wasn't convinced - he was acting too oddly. If only I had believed him, I probably would have lived. (She had also received one such letter, but I didn't know this.)

So here comes the final event. I was marked for death and didn't know it. Myself and Mr. T went to spy on the old lady, without backup. (So maybe Mr. T. wasn't that bright that night either.) The monster would randomly seek whichever of the three victims had been marked, and now it had two marks really close together.

We parked by the curb, and after a while the monster grabbed our car from beneath (from a sewer), picked it up, and started shaking it. Mr. T. and I jumped out. The monster swiped at me. (I figured it could only swipe at one person, and targeted me at random. I was quite wrong, as later events would prove.)

Mr. T and I ran into the old lady's building. The monster pursued us up the stairs, Mr. T. slightly in front. The monster swiped at me again ... but of course, it made sense, since I was slightly more vulnerable to it, being in back and all.

At the top of the staircase, Mr. T and I split up. The monster just happened to follow me. I ran to the old lady's house. I banged on her door. I had this brilliant idea that this evil cultist might rescue me or somehow defeat the monster. She opens the door, sees the monster, and freaks, slamming the door in my face and bolting it. At this point, my luck deserted me. The monster caught me, then had a problem. Should it eat me first, or should it save me for later? Alas, it thought I was the best meat, so it ate me. Apparently, I tasted real good.

Mr. T. started laughing hysterically at this. I was so brilliant I had performed a series of mistakes leading to my demise only two sessions into the CoC campaign. Then the GM informed me of the additional mistake invovling the letter.

Mr. T. never managed to kill or even seriously injure my character though, even though everyone else got beat down at least once in their career. Heh heh.

knitnerd

First Post
1. Pull a dire bear out of a bag of tricks to help with the battle while on a small flying raft, then give it a jug of dwarven ale to calm it down.
2. Use a rod of wonder when the DM has a 6000 item table of effects.

Remove ads