• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stupidest things PCs/DMs have done

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Once, trying to solve a puzzle, a player called on the names of divine beings for help.

"ODIN!....THOR!.......HASTUR!"

WAAAAAAY back in the early 80's, they did that same thing as a joke in the Fineous Fingers comic strip in Dragon Magazine, though, as I recall, they were trying to get past a locked door that had frustrated Fineous (the self-proclaimed "Greatest Thief in the World").

Belen

Adventurer
My bard, Belen, cast disintigrate on a mage tower. (The tower had no doors) Unfortunately, I designed my characters in such a way that I could not survive the saves against my owns spells.

I was had a guy who was playing a wizard in my game. He looked right at me and said "I start acting crazy." There was no one but the party around. The player looked at me and said "Yeah, but if someone is secretly observing us, he will think that I am not a threat." The party tied him up and had him committed. He had freaked them out.

Alenda

First Post
Sniffles wrote: "You don't know Jolly Blackburn, do you? He had something very similar happen in an issue of Knights of the Dinner Table!"

Nope, I sure don't, but it makes me feel SO much better to know that I'm not the only person to make this mistake.

StupidSmurf

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
WAAAAAAY back in the early 80's, they did that same thing as a joke in the Fineous Fingers comic strip in Dragon Magazine, though, as I recall, they were trying to get past a locked door that had frustrated Fineous (the self-proclaimed "Greatest Thief in the World").

Scroll back up the page a little and see the exchange between Savage Wombat and me. :) I was quoting Rolf, the dumb fighter who was accompanying Fineous on an adventure. Rolf got bored waiting for Fineous to unlock a particularly difficult door, so Rolf began shouting out deity names in order to stir up some action. He yells out "Crom! Zeus! Odin! Ralph!" Fineous yells at him to stop, because yelling out deity names is dangerous. After all, what if he says "...Orcus, and..."

Sure enough, Orcus appears. :)

Lalalei2001

Explorer
Ooh! We were doing a superhero campaign and one hero's power was to turn into a humanoid assortment of lunchmeat. Whilst trying to escape a bad guy, he punched a hole in the roof of a building and changed into meat. Sadly, the building was a dog kennel. :p

Last edited:

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
This one took place as we were playing Recon (modern, small-unit tactics) one night:

The characters were cruising through a rice paddy and had machine gun open up on them from the villiage. The officer of the group ran into the villiage (through the gunfire with NO fudged rolls on my part), pulled out a grenade and tossed it into the thatch hut the machine gun fire was coming from... then he flattened himself against the wall to the same thatched hut he had just tossed the grenade into.. the grenade went off, and took out everything in the hut... AND the officer took major damage in the backside.

Lord Ipplepop

First Post
The stupidest thing *I* ever personally did (besides the paladin trying to jump a halfling after a monster and skewering the halfling), was with my very first character ever. I had a human magic user (obviously 1 ed) and when we encountered a group of orcs, I took my ONE tiny little magic missile, and jumped in front of the partry to decimate the monsters.
I had been playing for a grand total of 15 minutes, and was rolling up a new character.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
So many of them in such a short time from my Planescape group.

Trusting a yugoloth.
Working for Shemeska the Marauder.
Taking a shopping trip in Baator.
Trusting a succubus.
Continuing to support one of their own party members, despite his obvious descent into madness, evil and poor common sense.

They seem to have trust issues, I think.

Demiurge out.

johndaw16

Explorer
My favorite has to have been in a now defunct Rifts game. The party was being taken hostage by the Coalition and the party is trying to figure out how to smuggle some weapons on their persons before being taken. One player (a Cyber Knight at the time I think, its hard to recall since he went through some many PCs) declared confidently that he was going to hide the grenade up his a**. He was rolling up a new character next game.

Remove ads