• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stupidest things PCs/DMs have done

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Back in the days when I ran The Enemy Within campaign, the group despaired in Power Behind the Thrown. So when they had an audience with the Count - second most powerful person in the realm -with the head of the second most powerful religion attending as well as the heads of the second most powerful knightly order, one character loudly proclaimed: "Slaneesh!!!"

Campaign closed.

P.s.: Slaneesh is one of the gods of chaos in the Warhammer game and world. Worshipping him is forbidden; worshippers usually don't get to enjoy the favour of a trial.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Party is sent on a mission to recover a McGuffin from a red dragon lairing in an active volcano – they are told beforehand about the red dragon and volcano. No one – no one – bothers to acquire protection from fire, of any kind. Even the spell casters don’t bother with fire protection magic.

There are five PC deaths in the final battle with the dragon. Four of those deaths are by fire.

Bullgrit

Obryn Darkfell

First Post
Back in the day, I was running an adventure that had a half-ogre fighter, a dwarven cleric, a half-elven wild mage, and a human rogue...

Having made their way to the brigands' hideout, the half-ogre and the dwarf were lifting the portcullis while the rogue kept watch with his short bow...

As soon as the portcullis was a couple feet off the ground, the wild mage swigged his potion of fire protection and rolled underneath. He was, almost immediately, surrounded by a dozen enemies. The wild mage, being a wild mage, cast fireball... centered on himself. The lucky bastard killed all but one of the brigands and he survived with 15 hp left...

Later in the same campaign, the party came upon a 20'x30' room filled with trolls... He cast fireball into the room and was incinerated by the backblast.

malcolypse

First Post
a friend of mine decided to run a superhero game. the world was his and i don't remember what rules he was using. i remember i spent several hours talking to him about and writing up my character. she had a tragic backgroud that lead to her discovering her powers and causing her to become suicidal. but her super powers were invulnerability. she became a costumed hero in the hope that she could find something powerful enough to kill her.

my long term plan was to have her do enough good that she recovered from the scars of her youth and found a new home with the super team she was going to be in.

knowing everything about my character, and discussing her in rediculous detail, it was time to start the campaign.

after five minutes of introduction to the campaign by the gm, he told everyone that their characters were sucked into a portal and transported to a new dimension. he then handed us his versions of our character sheets and explained that the portal had changed our powers.

now i could shoot heat rays out of my eyes.

i used them to burn through the fence at the airport so i could throw myself into a jet engine.

i have rarely seen a more beautiful expression of shock than he had on his face.

Remove ads