D&D (2024) Subclasses at first level and multiclassing

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Personally, I'm a fan of 5e's "you really hit stride in your class at 3rd" and not overloading 1st level. It lets new players grow into your characters, lets veterans get some experience with their party dynamics and synergies before having to commit, and stops low levels from being overloaded and ripe for cherry pocking via multiclass.

But there are issues. Like when you suddenly get skills that really make more sense having the whole time when you get your multiclass (like the Rogue Scout). And pushing it back for everyone would take away some needed bits, like clerical domains.

I've seen a lot of people pushing for subclass choices at 3rd - get all of the flavor and right into player the character you envision from session 1. And I can't say that is wrong either.

I would have to be a tradeoff with new player friendliness and low complexity - that compromise would need to be worked out. (My way of working it out in 5e is just allowing 3rd level starting characters for veteran players if we want to.)

But there's still muticlassing. I do enjoy the freedom of 5e multiclassing to pic your direction as you go, but some of the other multiclassing options would avoid the cherry-picking. Like TSR era multiclassing, where you pick 2-3 classes and split between them. Or feat-based multiclassing. Or something else.

How would you do it to grant subclass at 1st but also keep single classed and multiclassed characters balanced over the various levels of play?

Lojaan

Hero
No subclass at level 1 please. Keep levels 1 & 2 with minimal decision points to make them newbie friendly. Level 3 is then a great reward as players really see their characters develop.

If you want to start at a higher power level - there is a mechanic for that. Start at a higher level.

mellored

Legend
Multiple sub-classes.

I.e. warlock get their patron at level 1, that just adds a few spells and a ribbon feature.
And then their Pact at level 3, which is where they get their power.

Or just have the choice at 1 give a minor benefit, and the power at 3.

I.e. Life Clerics get cure wounds and spare the dying at level 1. But get the boost to healing spells at 3.

Or evocation wizards get the cheaper spell copy and firebolt at level 1, and then avoid hitting allies at 3.

mellored

Legend
No subclass at level 1 please. Keep levels 1 & 2 with minimal decision points to make them newbie friendly. Level 3 is then a great reward as players really see their characters develop.

If you want to start at a higher power level - there is a mechanic for that. Start at a higher level.
For casters, it might be less of a decision point at 1 if they picked a sub-class that came with spells rather than having to chose from the whole spell list.

I.e. the storm sorcerer starts with only lightning lure, thunder clap, fog clouds, and thunder wave.
Then at level 2, you could chose an additional Cantrip and spells from the list.

Lojaan

Hero
For casters, it might be less of a decision point at 1 if they picked a sub-class that came with spells rather than having to chose from the whole spell list.

I.e. the storm sorcerer starts with only lightning lure, thunder clap, fog clouds, and thunder wave.
Then at level 2, you could chose an additional Cantrip and spells from the list.
Yeah or just greatly limit the spells to choose from at level 1. Or even better - no spell choice at level 1. You have your starter spellbook. You get new spell choices as you go up levels or when you find them as loot.

aco175

Legend
Would there be a way to swap something from 1st and 3rd levels? If a player knows that the fighter is taking champion at 3rd level, can they take something. Is this going to end up the same if I can just cherrypick a 3rd level power though. Likely.

mellored

Legend
Or even better - no spell choice at level 1. You have your starter spellbook. You get new spell choices as you go up levels or when you find them as loot.
Right, level 1 you chose your subclass, which comes with starting spells and a ribbon feature (i.e. storm sorcerer can predict weather).

Level 2 is when you get "prepared caster", and another cantrip of your choice.

I like mellored's Idea.

Class with starterpack choice.
Subclass at level 3.

For warlock:
Level 1: Chose patron, get spells.
Level 3: Chose pact, get subclass features.

For sorcerer:
Level 1: chose bloodline, get spells
Level 3: chose ???, get subclass features

For wizards:
Level 1: chose school, get spells
Level 3: chose bladesinger/warmage etc.

For fighters:
Level 1: chose fighting style and weaponry
Level 3: chose subclass

For barbarians:
Level 1: chose clan, get weaponry
Level 3: chose path

For bards:
Level 1: chose song of x feature, get spells
Level 3: get subclass

And so on.

Horwath

Legend
Subclass at 1st and 2nd level please.

many features can be split over two levels, or even 3.

I.E. Rogue assassin;
1st level; bonus proficiencies; disguise and poisoners kit
2nd level; assassinate critical
3rd level; expertise in disguise and poisoners kit. Ability to create certain amount of poisons for free over long rest.

same as Scout subclass:
1st level Nature and Survival proficiency
2nd level: reaction movement
3rd level: Nature and Survival expertise

warlock:
1st level; subclass bonus proficiencies and bonus spells
2nd level; one invocation instead of two+pact boon(Cha bonus to weapons moved from Hexblade to pact of the blade)
3rd level; gain 2nd invocation.

cleric:
working as intended

druid can get subclass at 1st level:
wildshape only into CR 1/8 animals
Moon druid gets CR 1/4 at 1st level, CR 1/2 at 2nd level and CR 1 at 3rd level

Remove ads