• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Subduing a wizard?

Lauguz

Explorer
Publisher
Hey All,

Ran into an interesting situation in our game. The PCs took down an NPC wizard and we can't figure out if there's a way for them to prevent him from casting in 4E. In previous editions you could bind and gag a wizard, but 4E powers dont seem to have the component needs of previous editions. Any ideas out there?

-Rosenet

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
The DM is free to rule on what effect various restraints apply to the target.

The most basic is going to be "restrained", where the target cannot move from his square, and has a penalty to hit with attacks.

I don't think that there is any point where a wizard could cast (say) a teleportation spell that is beyond where a rogue could attempt escape artistry.

ie - if the rogue or wizard are conscious, they can attempt to escape.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Keep the wizard unconscious. Every four minutes or so have someone perform a coup de grace on the wizard and elect to render him unconscious rather than kill him. This prevents the wizard from attaining the one hit point need to regain consciousness after a short rest.

Craith

First Post
Gag him, put a bag over his hand and tie him up.

a bag blocks line of sight, so no teleport for him, he has to guess where to target his powers (IF the DM even allows him to cast), and gets a huge penalty to all targeted spells (full concealment + constrained).

throwing are spells in a small cell might not be the most intelligent thing to do, either

Gloombunny

First Post
Fight wizardry with wizardry: use the Magic Circle ritual around him. "An affected creature... cannot pass through the circle, affect creatures through the circle's boundary, or affect the boundary in any way." He can cast all the spells he wants, but they won't help him get out of the circle or do anything to anyone outside it.

(The downside is that you need an hour to cast it, you need to beat his level with an Arcana check, and you can't take him with you when you want to go anywhere.)

Jack Colby

First Post
Hey All,

Ran into an interesting situation in our game. The PCs took down an NPC wizard and we can't figure out if there's a way for them to prevent him from casting in 4E. In previous editions you could bind and gag a wizard, but 4E powers dont seem to have the component needs of previous editions. Any ideas out there?

-Rosenet

It's not mentioned in the books. Make a ruling or ask your DM to. 4E deals only with the rules you need and leaves the rest to the DM, as it should be.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Keep the wizard unconscious. Every four minutes or so have someone perform a coup de grace on the wizard and elect to render him unconscious rather than kill him. This prevents the wizard from attaining the one hit point need to regain consciousness after a short rest.

Nasty, that's one beat-up wizard. Every few minutes when he groans he gets a beat down, maybe with fists, maybe with the butt of a sword.

Last edited:

LostSoul

Adventurer
I suggest something simple:

Make some kind of skill check. If you beat the DC (DC = Easy for the Wizard's level), he's incapacitated and won't be able to cast spells unless something happens. If you fail, he's not. I'd make being Helpless a prerequisite. I think binding and gagging him should work as far as what you've done to him, though poisons, massive head trauma, or breaking bones might work too.

You could do the same to the PCs; have the antagonist make a skill check vs. a Defense (probably Ref). If it's successful, the PC can't cast. Helpless is a pre-req.

To increase the tension around the table, tell the players if the PC fails or succeeds at the check. Tell him that his PC thinks the Wizard can't cast spells if he fails. This can break immersion if your players are really into that, so it's not for all groups.

vagabundo

Adventurer
I suggest something simple:

Make some kind of skill check. If you beat the DC (DC = Easy for the Wizard's level), he's incapacitated and won't be able to cast spells unless something happens. If you fail, he's not. I'd make being Helpless a prerequisite. I think binding and gagging him should work as far as what you've done to him, though poisons, massive head trauma, or breaking bones might work too.

You could do the same to the PCs; have the antagonist make a skill check vs. a Defense (probably Ref). If it's successful, the PC can't cast. Helpless is a pre-req.

To increase the tension around the table, tell the players if the PC fails or succeeds at the check. Tell him that his PC thinks the Wizard can't cast spells if he fails. This can break immersion if your players are really into that, so it's not for all groups.

Nice. I wouldnt tell them the DC (15+NPC level) and it should be an Arcana check; to properly bind and secure a wizard you must know how he operates.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Just a point that people might not have realised:

Apart from the rogue (who requires a specific type of weapon in order to use his powers), every class can in fact make use of their abilities while unarmed and bound to the point of being under the restrained condition. Fighters, rangers, warlocks, mages, clerics, warlords can all use their powers either without any implement, or by substituting an unarmed blow.

Further, I'd suggest that for the sake of not having bizarre arguments about how exactly one can become immune to magic (a bag over the head blocking line of effect opens up a lot of odd doors), being blind probably is a better condition to apply.

That means that, with the exception of teleportation, the wizard is in exactly the same boat as any other character when captured.

Teleportation unfortunately means that all precautions become for naught.

Might I therefore suggest that the rules text which says that teleportation trumps physical restraints (ie - breaks immobilisation effects) should be excised? That makes everything fair and simple - the wizard (or warlock) can still teleport 10 squares, but he teleports and remains bound, gagged and blindfolded, and can be easily recaptured, the same as any other character who might, say, successfully get an unarmed stun off and run for a short distance.

Remove ads