• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sublime Druid - Crusader maneuvers instead of spells

Arkhandus

First Post
Bah. It's not worth the time I started to take on typing up comparisons and whatnot.

Shapeshift has its advantages. And replacing the spells with maneuvers that could be used in Shapeshift forms is likely to swing the druid into more overpowered territory than normal, but I guess it doesn't matter since 3.5 druids are so broken to begin with.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I agree with the penguin

This is in itself a nerf beyond the nerfing of the shapeshift variant, so it's doubly nerfed. There's no need to worry about balance here, you'll actually be subpar using this HR compared to primary casters.

But fair warning I'm one of those people who likes and uses the pre-errata Druid, never had any problems with wildshape or polymorph, and balanced things by turning up the dials on the other classes to match.

Asurya

First Post
quote Arkhandus: replacing the spells with maneuvers that could be used in Shapeshift forms is likely to swing the druid into more overpowered territory than normal

err... are you actually saying that a {Shapeshift + Maneuvers} Druid is SUPERIOR to a PHb Druid???

Maybe combining maneuvers and shift can lead to power issues, I don't know. But keep in mind that shapes only give you Str boost (more or less), so basically you are saying that a Bull Strengthed Warblade is overpowered.

If this is really an issue, you can state that maneuvers cannot be initiated while shifted. As Nifft said, the whole point of shapeshift is to switch back and forth between human and animal shape.

@HeavenShallBurn: so you have yet to see someone at your table begin to use all the MM books... all of a sudden, dinausors and naturally invisible plant creature will start ruining your day (not even speaking about Natural spell cheese: "wait... the T-Rex is CASTING?!" ÔÔ *cries in disbelief*)

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMHO:
Wild Shape + Animal Companion (+ Natural Spell) > Shapeshift
Spells > Maneuvers

Even the Druid spell list, which lacks gate, is far superior to maneuvers. Maneuvers don't let you wind walk or create a wall of thorns.

- - -

Also, consider that just by multi-classing, you could have a Druid / Swordsage who can already use maneuvers while shapeshifted or wild shaped. So IMHO it's insane to make a class that can't -- even if it were a balance problem, which it's not.

Cheers, -- N

Asurya

First Post
quote Nifft: consider that just by multi-classing, you could have a Druid / Swordsage who can already use maneuvers while shapeshifted

why did I missed that?! :(
congrats Nifft, stone-hard facts are far better than opinions in the delicate process of convincing someone.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Asurya said:
@HeavenShallBurn: so you have yet to see someone at your table begin to use all the MM books... all of a sudden, dinausors and naturally invisible plant creature will start ruining your day (not even speaking about Natural spell cheese: "wait... the T-Rex is CASTING?!" ÔÔ *cries in disbelief*)

The opposite, I've had players use every twinked combo imaginable. Just for example I've had campaigns with awakened T-Rex Warblades and intellegent Hydra spellcasters as pcs. I've had the Hulking Hurler, Harpoon Master, King of Smack, Arcane Reactor, and Cheater of Mystra in my campaigns. The difference is I don't consider those things to be ruining my day. I think they're FUN, because they let me be equally creative as DM.

adamda

First Post
Thank you all so much for the feedback! Especially Nifft, who should be the conscience of DMs everywhere.

The warblade mechanics would make a good fit. A shapeshift druid with maneuvers would give the ranger/rogue/fighter/barbarian/paladin a run for their money. Especially at level 8, with the +8 strength and the +8 natural armor. With White Raven, it would make a most excellent tank type.

It would be helpful create new druid maneuvers, things like siphoning poisons or status effects from an ally to an enemy. Some defenses based on plants, or driving animals to attack a target you hit. Some things could be renamed and reflavored of course (stone bones turns to bark skin).

I don't know if the stances need to be toned down personally. Seeing as only a few are known, is it really that much of a problem?

As for some of the "hidden class features"... perhaps knowledge of a few rituals that could be used after combat but take too long during combat. A few nature divinations, awaken, weather manipulation. Perhaps even allow quickening one of them per day (in return for not being able to use any others that day).

Arkhandus

First Post
Asurya said:
quote Arkhandus: replacing the spells with maneuvers that could be used in Shapeshift forms is likely to swing the druid into more overpowered territory than normal

err... are you actually saying that a {Shapeshift + Maneuvers} Druid is SUPERIOR to a PHb Druid???

Maybe combining maneuvers and shift can lead to power issues, I don't know. But keep in mind that shapes only give you Str boost (more or less), so basically you are saying that a Bull Strengthed Warblade is overpowered.

If this is really an issue, you can state that maneuvers cannot be initiated while shifted. As Nifft said, the whole point of shapeshift is to switch back and forth between human and animal shape.

Um, no. Don't twist what I say to mean different things and be wildly exaggerated.

Maneuvers and stances would synergize well with the Shapeshift, and with Wild Shape too in some cases. They mesh better than Shapeshift + Spellcasting, since the spellcasting would have to be done only when the druid returns to normal form.

I never said it's a huge difference, I'm only pointing out that it synergizes better. Some of the maneuvers work well with the Shapeshift benefits or the druid's normal class features. I never said it's better than spellcasting, but shapeshift + maneuvers are a more efficient combo.

You don't generally need to change forms very often with Shapeshift (in any given encounter), because each form is focused on a particular role (like aerial combat, or fighting multiple foes, etc.). So you would usually have plenty of Swift/Immediate actions free for use with maneuvers and stances.

Saying that maneuvers couldn't be initiated while Shapeshifted would be stupid and completely defeat the point of the houserule. That would be a tremendous nerfing to the druid, in so many ways. I would never suggest such a godawful idiotic thing.

A high-level druid may wreak some havoc as a Tyrannosaurus Rex with Greater Magic Weapon and Barkskin and such, but a high-level druid with Strike of Perfect Clarity, Feral Deathblow, Mountain Tombstone Strike, Time Stands Still, or Strike of Righteous Vitality might do even worse, and will still be a terror on the battlefield like any other high-level druid. The shapeshifted druid with maneuvers and stances might be even harder to hurt and be doing much more damage (or fully healing themselves with SoRV) every 2-3 rounds, in every single fight.

Compared to a normal martial adept with such maneuvers, the druid will have some nice advantages from their Shapeshift or Wild Shape. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying it's a patently broken and stupid idea.

I have no problem with replacing the druid's spellcasting with maneuvers. I'd just prefer them with Wild Shape than with Shapeshift, as I think it might be a slightly less efficient/potent combination. DRUIDS ARE BROKEN AS-IS. There are only slight degrees of more or less broken for a druid, and I'd rather err on the side of what I think would be slightly-less. I dunno.

Also, regarding your response to HeavenShallBurn: Druids can't become plants with Wild Shape until 12th-level. They don't get sneak attack (and multiclass druid/rogues still don't have a ton of sneak attack).

So Phantom Fungi are not an uber-awesome wild shape to use, especially with how Invisibility works in 3.5 and how even the most pathetic spellcasters the party is likely to run into at that point will be able to cast See Invisibility or Glitterdust without even wasting a decent spell slot (or they might just Quicken it with a high slot, for the sake of being able to nuke the Druid-as-Phantom-Fungus with their next-best slot). Sure, they're useful, but the form of a simple rat is also useful for scouting, as is the form of an eagle or an air elemental or whatever.

Druids can't become tyrannosaurs until 18th-level, because tyrannosaurs have 18 hit dice. By that point who cares if it's a spellcasting tyrannosaurus? It's still an oversized lizard that can be held off with a summoned earth elemental or whatever; can't cast spells very well when grappled and getting damaged (though the druid-as-t-rex shouldn't have too much trouble breaking free of the grapple or resisting it, it will still be a time-wasting distraction).

And a spellcasting tyrannosaurus druid is pretty effectively neutralized by an Antimagic Field. Clerics can get it as a 6th-level spell with the Magic domain and should be reasonably on-par with the druid for the grapple attempts. Except the cleric may have better Strength, since they didn't likely treat it as a dump stat like the wild-shaping druid. Heck, by 18th-level, the druid can expect to face the occasional cleric who can cast Antimagic Field as a normal 8th-level spell rather than a 6th-level domain spell, so the chances of running into it are higher.

Still, tyrannosaurs are frickin' cool. :cool:

Arkhandus

First Post
Nifft said:
Also, consider that just by multi-classing, you could have a Druid / Swordsage who can already use maneuvers while shapeshifted or wild shaped. So IMHO it's insane to make a class that can't -- even if it were a balance problem, which it's not.

The druid/swordsage would have fewer maneuvers and of lower level, though, than a druid who just got maneuvers instead of spells. Just sayin'.

My only point was the greater synergy and efficiency of shapeshift + maneuvers than shapeshift + spells. Not some stupid-arse argument of shapeshift+maneuvers > wildshape+spells. I NEVER SAID SUCH A THING. I only addressed the shapeshift + maneuvers vs. shapeshift + spells question of the thread.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Asurya said:
quote Nifft: Now you have to think about how (and if) you want to integrate all the other hidden class features (atonement, awaken, etc.) which were cleverly disguised as spells.
there still are the rituals (link) to emulate said spells.
I hate that section of UA because of how few examples they give. You're not really reducing the amount of work for yourself by using Incantations -- and you open up a bunch of Druidic class features to anyone who has the skill ranks, which may boost Bards and Wizards more than you'd intended. (You may not mind this side-effect -- Bards in particular aren't exactly overpowered -- but you should be aware of it.)

Anyway, were you going to do a level-by-level write-up?

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads