• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Subscription levels dropping

catsclaw227

First Post
I noticed no bias one way or another. In fact, I feel the mods were way too lenient to BOTH sides. I was guilty of a few of those arguments myself but I quickly realised the futility and stupidity of getting worked up over what amounts to a personal choice.

If you saw a bias in moderation, I counter and put to you that it was your own personal bias that coloured your perception of the boards at the time, because I'm sure that anyone looking at the period through rational, objective eyes, would see that the only real bias was against people causing arguments left, right and centre, regardless of whose side those arguments represented.

I didn't see much bias either. I think that the bias was felt most by the loud and those that took the introduction of 4e personally (both those who liked 4e and disliked 4e).

Otherwise, in my opinion, the moderation was tighter and bent on keeping the angry, fringe extreme posts in line.

Last edited:

ancientvaults

Explorer
This is me- I'm a 4E fan, but I just don't participate much any more.The general boards are more about theory and gripes disguised as theory, and usually devolves into the same old edition polarization. My elves are better than yours. I spend most of my time online at some of the smaller "old school D&D" forums & BLOGS where there's a bigger emphasis on the game, creating for it & playing it vs. the industry/WOTC sux/D&D "politics" and general internet 3.x vs 4E B&M'ing here.

And on the flip side, none of the subscriber content I've seen as of yet has interested me enough to pay a monthly fee. Among the "D&D BLOGOSPHERE" (both old & new school) there is a TON of incredibly well done free content out there. Not saying I'm not willing pay for something I want (I've paid a ton of money for some old gaming items) , but I can find alot of inspiration & good D&D material elsewhere without having to pay a monthly fee. Also having to pay for a search feature really irks the crap out of me- I am on few dozen different forums for several of my hobbies and this is the only site I have seen where you have to pay to use a search feature. I relaize the cost and work associated with keeping the site runnning- I've donated a couple times (way) in the past, but..well

Also, I can see why subs would drop off with a monthly recurring payment, and having a gap in the subscriber content. (and I have no issues with PayPal, personally). Not a great analogy, but Its kinda like buying a magazine off the shelf that is in sealed plastic wrap, vs the discounted subscription price via mail. If it's a magazine you REALLY want, you will buy it for a year or 6 months sub, get a better price, and be happy because you are saving some money and you don't mind the "non useful months" so much cos of the savings. But having to pay "full price", every month with the same hit or miss outcome? I'd cancel too after a couple "misses".

The above hits it on the head for me...

I support ENWorld because of nostalgia. I was a scooper for Eric Noah ages ago in the 3.0 days, before there was ENWorld. Then my interest waned with 3.5. I don't mind Paypal, the $3 is no problem, but there is such a plethora of material out there, I am feeling more and more tempted to drop not only my subscription, but to just stop coming here. There are dozens upon dozens of blogs, for all sorts of games out there, and it is just gathering steam. I don't use many of the features here and don't play 4E. There are other forums which are easier to get what you want from.

While I haven't cancelled, I am a "tetherer", not because of Paypal, money isn't tight, I just am losing all interest in something that doesn't do anything for my game.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I didn't see much bias either. I think that the bias was felt most by the loud and those that took the introduction of 4e personally.

It was generally claimed by those who were at the receiving end of moderation, unsurprisingly. :)

But there was no bias or opinion from our end. Just little patience for bad behaviour. And, as we've pointed out before, the percentage of rude posts is higher amongst those expressing a negative opinion about something (anything, not just D&D) than someone expressing a positive opinion - it's hard to be rude and complimentary at the same time! Coupled with the fact it's a lot easier to blame someone else for being moderated (the mods, conspiracy theories, secret allegiances with WotC or the Illuminati) than to reflect on one's own behaviour and acknowledge that one might have been acting in a less than perfect manner.

But that's all by-the-by; perceived moderation policies from three years ago are not going to be a reason for someone signing up for a $3 subscription in the last 9 months and cancelling it in the last two.

Last edited:

P

PaulofCthulhu

It was generally claimed by those who were at the receiving end of moderation, unsurprisingly. :)

Speaking of moderation, it looks like my post on this page has been deleted. So I can only guess that what I said wasn't somehow liked. A pity I thought it was constructive as to how get the the responses Morrus was after.

I'll refrain from posting further.

All the best.

Mod Edit: One of the Rules of EN World is that you don't discuss moderation in-thread. If you have a question about moderation, we ask you to e-mail or PM a mod.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Xtheth

First Post
Well, I'm glad I could help. When my subscription dropped I didn't realize until your site said I wasn't a subscriber any longer. I re-subscribed because I love this place.

What I think might help is a schedule for what free stuff is going to be released. One thing I look forward to is the war of the burning sky I'm getting for my subscription, I wish it would come faster so my players can play it all in one big row.

I know this doesn't answer your question, and I'm sorry

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
Hey Morrus -

Honest question. Are you getting any replies other than the standard:

1. Times are tight
2. Paypal/Monthly only isn't for me.
3. No worthwhile content by the subscribers opinion.
4. Why subscribe to a place that doesnt' do what I do.

Cause really.. we handled all that in the first three pages at most, and I'm learning all about the hundred years mod war that I should have no knowledge of and makes me want to subscribe less. ;)

Still, our critics are our friends and all that, but I can watch shark week on discovery.

A

amerigoV

Cause really.. we handled all that in the first three pages at most,

In my too many years on the internet I have learned that any postings after the second page has a HUGE diminishing return on value to a topic. I only read after 2 pages to watch the train wreck unfold (nitpicking, open up old wounds, parsing of words, mod shuts it down, etc).

OK, what I see here is

1) you ask why I don't subscribe
2) I answer you, critically, but politely.
3) you dismiss my answer and imply that my past behavior has been bad.
4) Another moderator calls out a whole class of reasons someone might not want to subscribe to EnWorld as not germane to this discussion.

This, in a nutshell, is a perfect example of why I spend my time on the Paizo boards these days.

Ken

But there was no bias or opinion from our end. Just little patience for bad behaviour. And, as we've pointed out before, the percentage of rude posts is higher amongst those expressing a negative opinion about something (anything, not just D&D) than someone expressing a positive opinion - it's hard to be rude and complimentary at the same time! Coupled with the fact it's a lot easier to blame someone else for being moderated (the mods, conspiracy theories, secret allegiances with WotC or the Illuminati) than to reflect on one's own behaviour and acknowledge that one might have been acting in a less than perfect manner.

But that's all by-the-by; perceived moderation policies from three years ago are not going to be a reason for someone signing up for a $3 subscription in the last 9 months and cancelling it in the last two.

I am a current long term subscriber and have another year or so left before I make a choice. On the cons side for me boils down to running 4e with the DDI. House rules aren't what they used to be...and those are why I came here.

What I need now are encounters. I can make monsters.. but building an exciting encounter, village, or other set piece is hard for me to do.

The new city based AP is a definate draw

I suggest more dm freindly mini contents. Perhap a 'design an encounter' challenges?

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

coyote6

Adventurer
OK, what I see here is

1) you ask why I don't subscribe

I think he asked specifically why people who had subscribed recently (in the last 9 months) had stopped subscribing even more recently (in the last couple of months), which isn't the same as "why don't you subscribe". Your first post in this thread said you let your subscription lapse during the 4e switchover, which was two years ago, wasn't it?

Remove ads