• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Substitutes for the Animal Companion Class Feature for the Druid Class?

Ghostmoon

First Post
Does anyone know off any suggestions for substituting the "Animal Companion" class feature of the druids? Unearthed Arcana had some interesting substitutions for other class features, such as wildshaping, but nothing about the animal companion.

Klaus

First Post
Races of Eberron has Shifter Druid substitution levels. They get a "Spirit Companion" as opposed to an animal. It's an intangible totemic spirit that grants them several abilities, and which can be temporarily transferred to a summoned animal.

Whimsical

Explorer
Spirit Shaman is a base class that uses the druid spells. I have been playing one and enjoying the class abilities. It's nice to be able to smack incoporeal undead around instead of being helpless to their tactics. I'm looking at you dread wraith.

Krug

Newshound
Maybe instead of an animal companion he could have a plant-like creature, similar to a shambling mound, swamp thingish kinda beast?

Torm

Explorer
Since most players with animal companions use them mostly for scouting, how about a elemental communion ability or natural scrying (say, in a pool of water, for example) that allows a character to get some of the same questions a scout would answer answered? Admittedly, it couldn't fight in combat like a companion, but that seems somewhat balanced by it not being able to cause penalties when dying. Maybe improve Wild Shape a wee little, too, to finish the balance?

Ghostmoon

First Post
Thanks for the information so far.

I am hoping to find a complete replacement for the ability, rather than substituting a new monster or similar ability. The druid in question is a cohort to my PC, a conjurer with a familiar. It is not unusual for me to have a couple of summoned monsters in play in addition to these three.

To avoid monopolizing the spotlight and cut down on my work, I have not had the druid call an animal companion nor do I really plan too. However, it is a pretty important ability of the druid and I would like something to replace it.

Remove ads