• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Subtypes and immunities question

Zenon

First Post
Under subtypes in the Monster Manual, they list out three: Fire, Cold, and Incorporeal.

Fire subtype gives immunity to Fire damage, Cold subtype to cold damage, with vunerabilities to the opposites.

My question in particular is how these relate to Elementals? Do any of the Elemental subtypes other that fire gain immunities to anything (Air, Earth, Water) other than the immunities listed under the Elemental type (immune to posion, sleep, paralysis, stunning, flanking and criticals)?

Or is the Fire Elemental the only one immun to it's own types of damage? I checked through both the FAQ, MM Errata and even older edition MM's and do not see anything listed.

I'm looking for official rules here, not house rules or guesses, so please support anything with a book and page number or other official source it was gotten from....

Last edited:

Dr. Zoom

First Post
There is nothing about being an earth, water, or air subtype that needs any particular rule. There is no earth, water, or air energy attacks (not yet). Fire and cold, however, are also types of energy attacks, and these kinds of elementals are immune to their own type and vulnerable to the other.

Clerics with certain domains can turn or command creatures with these subtypes.

Also, elementals are not immune to flanking.

Last edited:

Remove ads