• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Succubus ability that is missing?

AF Stripes

First Post
Succubi can invade dreams of mortals and (truthfully) any creature that has the ability to dream. This is a given with succubi lore...yet, when I look at the description of it there is no real ability to explain it. Research into the topic shows even the pathfinder succubi haven't been been upgraded appropriately. However another monster called the night hag HAS the ability to enter dreams.

Dream Haunting (Su): Night hags can visit the dreams of chaotic or evil individuals by using a special periapt known as a heartstone to become ethereal, then hovering over the creature. Once a hag invades someone’s dreams, it rides on the victim’s back until dawn. The sleeper suffers from tormenting dreams and takes 1 point of Constitution drain upon awakening. Only another ethereal being can stop these nocturnal intrusions, by confronting and defeating the night hag.

Am I crazy or is this the EXACT nature of the succubus? They can do this naturally without a heartstone. Would I be wrong in slapping this ability (reworded appropriately) onto the succubus npc?? Shouldn't that already be there? WTF.

Follow up question: Secrets of Sarlona has dreamtoched feats. I don't have the book atm so I don't know the prerequisites for them. Will those only work for psionic characters? I was planning on making this succubus villain a psion anyway. Would those make her more effective in dream infiltration? Are there any other spells or powers out there that specifically deal with dreams, invading dreams, or fighting in dreams? I really need to make a succubi more effective at doing the things it does best. I can DL materials off the net easily and some help here would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Dwimmerlied

First Post
I've encountered this kind of thing with many monsters; they are often only loosely based on their respective mythologies; If you've found the trait you reckon it should have, I reckon go right ahead and make that change. In the back of the monster manual this is suggested as an option, and you can find there also a guideline for measuring if this should change the CR

AF Stripes

First Post
Dream Haunt (Su): Once a succubus invades someone's dreams she feeds from their life
energy. The effect exhausts the sleeper and takes 1 point of Constitution drain upon
waking. Only another etheral being can stop these nocturnal intrusions, by confronting and
defeating the demoness.
Dreamwalker (Su): If the target fails his Will (Dc 22) save, the succubus is able to enter his
dreams any time he falls asleep during the spell’s duration. Making the save prevents the
succubus from tormenting her target for that sleep cycle. Once inside she is able to
witness his dreams, and influence them if she wishes. The target is unaware of her
presence, unless she chooses to reveal herself. A succubus may use the opportunity to
remind the target of a task they should be working on completing, or a path they should be
following, if it pleases her. She can make a suggestion as the spell of the same name. The
target gets a separate Will; (Dc 22) save to resist acting on her suggestion upon waking.
A succubus may choose to make the sleeper’s dreams more pleasant, which will provide a
better night’s sleep and the benefit of a +1 bonus to all saving throws for a full 24
hours after they wake. Conversely, the she may turn the sleeper’s dreams into horrible
nightmares, making for a poor night’s rest and leaving them with a -1 penalty to all
saving throws for a full 24 hours after they wake.

Last edited:

AF Stripes

First Post
These look like the most beneficial additions to a Succubus. I used this site (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells/4-winds-fantasy-gaming---3rd-party-spells/dreamwalker) for the spell and refluffed the Night Hag ability for a succubus. I'm worried these two will clash with the energy drain ability, but at first glance they seem to work just fine. These two abilities are specifically for dreaming. Can anyone help me iron out any kinks here, because I want to present this to my gaming group and it needs to work mechanically without any hitches.

AF Stripes

First Post
Also, there is this spell from Manual of the Planes. I believe just converting into a (Su) will be enough. This will also be a natural ability. I think the CR will increase by, maybe, one?
DREAM TRAVEL T
ransmutation Level: Sor/Wiz 8 Components: V. S Casting Time: 1 action Range: Touch Targets: You plus one additional creature touched per level Duration: 1 hour/level (12 hours for a succubus) (D) Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless) Spell Resistance: Yes
You and an anyy creature you touch are drawn along a crystal arc to the edge of conscious thought and into the Region of Dreams. You can take more than one creature along with you (subject to your level limit), but all must be touching each other when you cas t the spell. You physically enter the plane of Dream, leaving nothing behind. In Dream, you move through a menagerie of thoughts, desires, and phantoms created by the minds of dreamers everywhere. For every minute you move through Dream (which is only a si ngle round on the Material Plane), you can “wake” to find yourself five miles displaced in the waking world. Thus, a character can use this spell to travel rapidly by physically entering where only dreams pr owl, moving the desired distance, and stepping back into the waking world. You know where you will come out in the waking world, Dream travel can also be used to travel to other planes that contain creatures who dream, but this requires crossing into the Dreamheart, where you are subject to the vagaries of violent dream realities. Transferring to another plane of existence requires 1d4 hours on Dream (which corresponds to 1d4×6 minutes as time is measured on most other planes). Any creatures touched by you when dream travel is cast also makes the transition to the borders of unconscious thought. They may opt to follow you, wander into other dreamscapes, or stumble back into the waking world (50% chance for either of the latter results if they are lost or aba ndoned by you). Creatures unwilling to accompany you into the Region of Dreams receive a Will saving throw (Dc 22), negating the effect if successful. Note: Unlike the normal rules for dreaming, items you use, spells you cast, and other consumables are still gone when you return to the waking world after being under the effect of this spell. Likewise, items you gain and experience you accumulate while under the effect of this spell stay with you.

Last edited:

am181d

Adventurer
The Night Hag and the Succubus are essentially the same creature in terms of real world lore. They're both superstitions that have evolved around the real world phenomenon of sleep paralysis. I think this is just another case of D&D taking two divergent versions of the same real world monster and turning them into two separate creatures in game.

Remove ads