• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Succubus Paladin - Yes or No

Chroma

Explorer
dcollins said:
As already mentioned, a succubus is "Always chaotic evil", so it's not possible.

Actually, according to pg 305 in the MM (the Glossary) it is possible to have an LG succubus, only it's very rare. The "Always" qualifier for alignment states that the creature is born with the listed alignment but that it is possible for individuals to change alignment.

I'm not sure if the glossary is in the SRD though.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
dcollins said:
As already mentioned, a succubus is "Always chaotic evil", so it's not possible.
The Monster Manual says:

Monster Manual said:
Always: The creature is born with the indicated alignment. The creature may have a hereditary predisposition to the alignment or come from a plane that predetermines it. It is possible for individuals to change alignment, but such individuals are either either unique or rare exceptions.

sdt

First Post
Even if you allowed a Succubus to be Lawful Good, I don’t believe it would have the discipline to be a Paladin; it would always be fighting its nature. Also, as Endur and others have pointed out, the Succubus’s alignment is “always chaotic evil”; they are not supposed to have a Dual Nature.

dcollins said:

Yeah, that's wrong. "Always Chaotic Evil" doesn't mean always. Funny, huh? It means "99.9999999% of the time, Chaotic Evil."

It even says it in the rules.

Nail

First Post
Besides, there are rules in the BoED to either redeem (p.28) or "sanctify" (p. 186) an Evil creature.......in both cases turning it Good...and potentially even Lawful.

For high Diplomacy PCs (like my Cleric! :) ), redeeming Evil creatures is almost laughably easy!

atom crash

First Post
I was flipping through my Complete ... books the other day, looking at Prestige Classes, and ran across an example of a PrC that was an evil hound archon, a creature whose alignment is "always lawful good." That gave me pause for a bit.

But at least the indication is that Wizards says "yes" to extraplanars being able to change to a diametrically opposed alignment.

Sorry, can't remember the book it was in. Anyone who may help locate the exact reference?

Doctor Shaft

First Post
It sounds like a cool idea, although if I were DM I'd immediately discount the succubus' powers. No more summoning demons, even in distress. I'd let the succubus keep the energy drain ability... but would completely forbid its use, lest the paladin wish to kiss her status good-bye. I'd leave the energy drain ability merely as the temptation :) . Kind of just look at the player and say "Yeah, you can use energy drain... but the consequences are grave." And then leave it at that.

However, I would give pause... this just sounds like an excuse to "sex-up" a Lawful Good holy warrior.

"She was a holy paladin, dedicated to the cause to fight against evil and right wrongs. She loved to wear very sleek lingerie under her plate armor... *cue Lifetime or Oxygen channel music* yes.... she was very beautiful. In fact, her armor only accentuated her figure... her life was perfect, until she found out her husband was cheating..."

Okay, yeah. Why do you want a succubus paladin again? It's not one of those "I am Both the Dark and the Light... haha I transcend them both!" characters, is it?

yennico

First Post
atom crash said:
I was flipping through my Complete ... books the other day, looking at Prestige Classes, and ran across an example of a PrC that was an evil hound archon, a creature whose alignment is "always lawful good." That gave me pause for a bit.

But at least the indication is that Wizards says "yes" to extraplanars being able to change to a diametrically opposed alignment.

Sorry, can't remember the book it was in. Anyone who may help locate the exact reference?
In the WotC adventure "Lord of the Iron Fortess" a trumpet archon, an always lawful good creature is fallen and became a lawful evil Blk2

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Nail said:
For high Diplomacy PCs (like my Cleric! :) ), redeeming Evil creatures is almost laughably easy!
Somewhere out there is your cleric's evil equivalent, I'm sure. :)
I'd let the succubus keep the energy drain ability... but would completely forbid its use, lest the paladin wish to kiss her status good-bye.
Not a cool house rule but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads