• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

suddenly overloaded

paranoid

What happens to a character that suddenly exceeds his maximum carrying capacity, say, because he was hit by a ray of enfeeblement or similar magic? Can he drop some of his equipment as a free action? Or does he fall to the ground, being prone? Or even helpless?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
paranoid

Cedric

First Post
I would let someone drop a backpack as a free action, anything more then a backpack is a move equivalent action.

If they are suddenly so overweight that they can't possibly move, I might require a reflex save for them to not go down to one knee.

Cedric

Henrix

Explorer
You can stagger around 5 ft as a full round action while carrying more than your capacity ;)

I'd let them take a move action to unload stuff, provided their hands are free, of course.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
One similar circumstance happened in my last campaign.

Two members of the party got into a fight with some Shadows and suffered substantial Strength drain. When it was time for them to retreat, the party Druid cast a Feathers spell (from MotW) and transformed them into birds. Unfortunately, these birds had a much lower base Str than their humanoid forms did and applying the Str damage to that number resulted in them being reduced to 0 Str. They lay helplessly on the ground for a round until they were able to revert to normal form and try to retreat on foot.

One of the two made it out alive.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads