• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Suggested nerf to the Shield spell

Mon

Explorer
But telling them there's nothing wrong with [whatever they complain about] is helping them.

Perhaps. However different tables have fun playing in different ways and houserules to support this are fair and appropriate. To my casual reading the approach you’ve advocated doesn’t come across as benevolent or helpful in cases like this one (even if it is intended to be).

Last edited:

I've not put a comment in because i think good ideas were already suggested (like +prof instead), but I wanted to cheer the latest comments.

I like to tinker with the rules and I imagine many do here. Whether or not something is my cup of tea, it doesn't mean I can't suggest ideas and hear other ideas.

The OP wanted to nerf shield. I don't see the need but there are certainly good ideas suggested here if they want to do that

Oofta

Legend
I suggest you critically reflect on that attitude. After all, very few posters start threads here because they want to be told to do nothing.

This forum can at times come across as unrelentingly reactionary and conservative, as if 5th edition was handed down on stone tablets by God.

Discussing at length whether changing X should even be attempted is only derailing any attempts to change X, as I'm sure you agree. Far from helping, it is ruinous to the value of these forums and should in my opinion be moderated.

Also, as any good DM would tell you, consider the difference between saying "no" and "yes, but". Not only is the latter more helpful, it also comes across as constructively encouraging.

So what do you expect? Only posts where people respond "That's an awesome idea"?

I can't speak for everyone, and I think there was enough feedback on how to tweak or improve the OP's suggestion. I didn't have anything to add in that regard.

However, I think there are several issues with the 5 minute work day in 5E and the shield spell is simply one symptom. You can address the root cause or you can play wack-a-mole on different symptoms. I just think it's a never ending rabbit hole.

No game with the complexity of D&D can ever be perfectly balanced. The simplest solution is to get rid of the 5 minute work day and there are several ways of doing that. The next best thing is to change DM tactics and how monsters are run. The last option (and one I do resort to on occasion) is to start changing spells.

I simply think the first two options should be considered before resorting to house rules. That's not telling someone how to play their game, it's trying to give feedback on what I think works best. You disagree and that's fine, but that doesn't mean your opinion is any more valid than the rest of us bozos.

Satyrn

First Post
So what do you expect? Only posts where people respond "That's an awesome idea"?

I can't speak for everyone, and I think there was enough feedback on how to tweak or improve the OP's suggestion. I didn't have anything to add in that regard.

However, I think there are several issues with the 5 minute work day in 5E and the shield spell is simply one symptom. You can address the root cause or you can play wack-a-mole on different symptoms. I just think it's a never ending rabbit hole.

No game with the complexity of D&D can ever be perfectly balanced. The simplest solution is to get rid of the 5 minute work day and there are several ways of doing that. The next best thing is to change DM tactics and how monsters are run. The last option (and one I do resort to on occasion) is to start changing spells.

I simply think the first two options should be considered before resorting to house rules. That's not telling someone how to play their game, it's trying to give feedback on what I think works best. You disagree and that's fine, but that doesn't mean your opinion is any more valid than the rest of us bozos.

That's an awesome idea!

Laurefindel

Legend
I suggest you critically reflect on that attitude. After all, very few posters start threads here because they want to be told to do nothing.

This forum can at times come across as unrelentingly reactionary and conservative, as if 5th edition was handed down on stone tablets by God.

Discussing at length whether changing X should even be attempted is only derailing any attempts to change X, as I'm sure you agree. Far from helping, it is ruinous to the value of these forums and should in my opinion be moderated.

Also, as any good DM would tell you, consider the difference between saying "no" and "yes, but". Not only is the latter more helpful, it also comes across as constructively encouraging.

This

I too much prefer to give (and to receive) a “yes, but have you considered...” answer over a “pfff, no.”

I don’t come to these boards to be told I’m right. When I come to these boards, it’s because I have a doubt, or because I’m looking for side-effects [houserule] would have and that I haven’t think of.

But the last thing I’m coming here for is to be told that I play the game wrong. I don’t mind being told that I wrongly apply the rules, but people often fail to make the distinction.

Telling someone that their anecdotal experience is skewed by taking the time to explain why and offering one or two avenues to explore before houseruling is helpful. Being told that your perceived issue simply doesn’t exist isn’t.

As for the OP, I would consider giving the +5 bonus to AC against the initial attack only, or make it a “concentration up to your next turn” spell with a clause that also allows the spell to be cast as a spontaneous effect as a reaction.

Last edited:

smbakeresq

Explorer
How are the getting AC 18 and Shield spell? That sounds like medium armor and shield and Dex bonus of +2. Are these Hexblade dips? What level?

The Shield spell doesn’t help against things like area attacks, burning oil everywhere, mob attack rules, Spirt Guardians, etc. Attack them to pop the spell and then have the creatures use oil or acid as an area attack.

I love Spirit guardians against the players, especially as a hazard, say on a pillar in a temple where it can only be dispelled or by destroying the pillar.

If these are all spellcasters in medium armor try variant encumbrance. They probably all have low STR scores so won’t be able to wear medium armor and carry shields and gear without being encumbered and slowed down. They also won’t be able to carry all that treasure out of the dungeon which creates other adventures.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads