• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggested XP progression for NPC's...

Storyteller01

First Post
My players are getting more involved in the story, so I need a consistent progression for the NPC's. What's a good estimate for their progression?

Would they gain exp per year, for example? Thanks in advance. :)

thalmin

Retired game store owner
What kind of NPCs? Shopkeepers and townsfolk would have very slow progression, if any. Henchmen and followers I keep a couple paces behind the PCs. The BBEG would stay ahead of the PCs.
ymmv.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I know many others do some form of XP progression for NPCs with time. I'm not of that camp - if only because it means more paperwork. I don't want to have to keep track of how much time has passed since the last meeting.

NPCs that show up repeatedly advance at whatever rate I think best suits the story that is developing. They don't have to be consistent - one of them may have had more pressing experiences than the others, or one may have had less.

Agent Oracle

First Post
and in one reply, thalmin says pretty much all of it.

Oh, allied NPC's should be at roughly henchman-like standing, possibly just below a henchman, so a henchman could represent a significant threat to an ally.

Trust me, your players won't care about the level of the bartender. I certainly don't.

Imruphel

First Post
I seem to recall that Sean K Reynolds had an example of this for a commoner (farmer?) on his website. Try poking around there.

Asmor

First Post
I'm with the "keep all levels adjusted according to group" camp. If the PCs are level 6, then any mooks should be in the 3-5 range, any of their peers in the 5-7 range, and any BBEGs in the 7+ range. Just pulling these numbers out of my ass, of course, YMMV.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The vast majority of NPC's, I assume they have one or two class levels in their NPC class and that's about it. No 15th level commoners, etc. Important story NPC's typically have whatever class levels are needed to do their part in the storyline; typically 2-6. Important NPC's that adventure along with the party typically get a cut of the XP and so they go up faster. They'll hover within 0-3 levels of the party. Important recurring NPC's that are adventurers themselves get whatever level is needed; they may go up if significant time has passed since their last meeting, or something significant has happened to them. (I have spent the last year in the Temple of the Black Wind! Now, I am more than your equal! I am your superior! Prepare to die!)

Destil

Explorer
NPCs don't gain levels, in my game, without justification.

The ability of the players to advance is a large part of what makes them special, most people hit their limits at level 1-5 in NPC classes. A tough war veteran could be a 3rd level warrior dispite decades of stuff the PCs would gain XP for. Their still tough (three times the HP, 15% better chance to hit from the com 1 coscripts and an extra feat) but they hit their limit long ago.

S'mon

Legend
Adventurer type NPCs probably 'live fast die young' so they may advance at a similar rate to PCs (or die), or maybe 1/2 the rate. Most NPCs should not be routinely levelling up though, unless you want a bunch of paperwork for no real benefit.

Urbannen

First Post
I favor a basic advancement rate of 250 XP per year for common NPCs from maximum starting age of their class. This means that most middle-aged adults will be level 3-4. PCs quickly outpace the advancement of older people in the community, and are more powerful because of their higher stats and items. In demi-human comunities, the average level will be higher.

Superior NPCs might get 500 XP per year, starting from the average starting age for their class. Superior NPCs have access to better training and are more active. These NPCs would be rarer, the average adult being 4-5th level. An example of a superior NPC might be a Cormyrean War Wizard.

Elite NPCs, more on the level with PCs, would earn 1000 XP per year, starting with the minimum starting age for their class. They would be rare, and represent characters who either have access to the best training because of their wealth or who have been as active as a PC.

Of course there would still be uniquely high-leveled NPCs as well as incompetent NPCs with lower-than-average levels.

This system I'm suggesting doesn't jive with standard D&D, which assumes every NPC is first level until DM fiat gives them XP. Since experience is earned over time, I think having a standard time-based progression makes sense. I know most DMs just assign NPC levels arbritrarily. Any standard progression scale is helpful for world-building, since it allows you to determine the level of magic that is commonly available. In a 250XP/year advancement, 1st and 2nd level magic, scrolls, potions, and some wondrous items are pretty common in human communities, and 3rd level magic and magic arms and armor are somewhat less available because the average human spellcaster wouldn't reach 5th level until in their 60s.

Remove ads