• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestion for a Demon Lord/Prince

Ghostmoon

First Post
In a campaign I am developing, the main villains will be a group of demon lords/princes who have formed a pact of cooperation. They and their minions have begun a multi-planar campaign of conquest, which will touch upon the group’s plane of existence. Ultimately, I hope to draw the PC’s into a desperate battle against the demon lords that will take them across many prime planes.

At this point, I have decided that there will be five demon lords in the pact. I have chosen four of them, but I am having difficulty choosing the fifth. I have access to the AD&D 1st Edition Monster Manual 1 & 2 as well as the Armies of the Abyss (AotA, Green Ronin Publishing). Listed below is what I have so far and the reasons I choose them.
  • Fraz-Urb’Luu (MM 2, AD&D 1st): Prince of Lies. AotA notes that he revered by politicians and liars, so I can use him for the more political/non-combat parts of the campaign. He also sworn revenge against humanity for imprisoning him.

Haagenti (AotA): The Ultimate Alchemist. Since the campaign will be multiplanar, he can be used to infiltrate worlds that use technology (giving me an excuse to cross over with Omega/Gamma World :) )

Orcus (MM 1, AD&D 1st): Prince of the Undead. I choose him because he has an interest in conquering planes and could provide a vast amount of foot soldiers in the form of undead.

Pazuzu (MM 2, AD&D 1st): Prince of the Lower Aerial Kingdoms. He would provide aerial support in the campaign as well as tempting mortals.
I have done some research into other demon lords, but have not found one that it is suitable. I have rejected some because they are the enemies of Orcus (Graz’zt, Demogorgon), are too race specific (Vaprak [Orge], Yeenoghu [Gnolls]) or have little interest in conquering the planes (Juiblex).

I am considering Kostchtchie (from MM 2, AD&D 1st) as the fifth, but I am not sure he is appropriate. I am looking for one that has a broad interest in conquering the prime planes and that compliments (or at least has no major problems with) the other four. Any suggestions would be helpful and very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Ghostmoon

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
How about Lolth?

Especially if you don't play FR, she's a great choice (I hate the FR take on the Drow). She's got followers on most worlds in the Underdark, spiders are everywhere, and she's been depicted in the past as very actively scheming to conquer various planes (the 'doors' in Q1).

Ghostmoon

First Post
Hello all,

I considered Lloth, but I would prefer to avoid the drow if I can. She is a good choice, as she fits all my criteria. This is a personal bias. The drow and Lloth get a lot of press and I would prefer to use some of the demon lords that get less attention. Fraz-Urb’Luu and Pazuzu need love too! :)

I would prefer to keep it at demon lords. I did not think of the slaad lords, although I did consider the evil elemental princes from the Fiend Folio (Imix et al.).

Thanks!

reiella

Explorer
Also toss around the Elemental Princes as an idea as well, well the evil ones. They are pretty nifty.

Imix (fire), Olhydra (water), Yan-Ci (air), and Ogremoch (earth) iirc.

The Serge

First Post
Although you're trying to avoid race specific Demon Princes, Baphomet is an option if you don't associate him directly with Minotaurs.

Also, if these Chaotic evil baddies are supposed to be working together, they're probably going to need someone to keep them at least somewhat loyal and organized... at least for a while. While I don't see a Duke of Hell or Lord of the Nine playing games with Demon Princes (at least not openly), a Altraloth might. If you're not familiar with these, Altraloths are the equivalent of Neutral evil Princes and Lords. Stats for Anthraxus and Charon appeared in 1ed Monster Manual II. After that, they all but disappeared.

Anthraxus is up there in power (if not beyond) with Orcus and the others you mentioned, and he'd be the most obvious choice. However, if you want to go with less familiar Altraloths, let me know and I'll provide more information on them take from Dragon Magazine Annual 2.

Last edited:

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Glad to see Haagenti getting some use! It's always a thrill to learn that not only has someone read something you've created but that they've deemed it cool enough to incorporate into their campaign.

And using him as a means by which to include something from Polyhedron? Sakes alive, I love this campaign! :)

--Erik

Remove ads