• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestion for Wireless Headphones?

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I'm thinking about getting some wireless headphones for my computer. And then I did a search for them and discovered there're a bazillion of them on the market.

Anyone here have some? Anyone have experience with them? I'd like to spend less than $100, and I'm not an audiophile, so real high quality sound will be wasted on my ears.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bullgrit

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't know if they still make them or not, but avoid the ones that use IR instead of RF: IR is LoS only, while RF can pass through walls. While that may not seem matter much, if the area in which you're planning on using them is funny shaped (has a nook in it, for instance) or if you have some heavy furniture, IR headphones would lose contact with their base, while RF ones would not.

GreenLantern

First Post
I have had a good experience with Sony wireless headphones. They are reasonably priced and perform well for general day to day use.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I'm also looking for the same thing and so far about the only thing I've discovered is that the value can vary WILDLY. A cheap POS can have excellent range and sound quality but be incredibly uncomfortable to wear whilst a really expensive pair might have excellent sound quality, be very comfortable and yet have a really crappy range (as in, sub 2 metres... yes, I'm not kidding!).

It seems like there are a LOT of little traps to look out for when buying wireless headphones :( Oh, and one more of them is that even between models things can vary quite considerably, as in the (this is an example random model designation, not an actual one) KXTZ171 Sony model might be great, and yet the KXTZ171a model could be complete crap.

It's a real nightmare, it seems :(

Irondeacon

First Post
Just picked up the Logitech H600 headphones from Amazon as a christmas gift. Amazon direct pricing is $60.24, and frree 3 day shipping. (fyi I picked this out for myself after more than a little research)

I've been using them since christmas, and love them. Some things you need to know:
Pros
Great sound quality and voice pick up for MMO's (playing DDO).
Sound quality meets my needs when listening to ITunes and Pandora.
About 6 hours life on a full charge.
Very easy to pair with the receiver.
Good ventilation, and doesn't fully isolate the user from their surroundings (a feature very useful for avoiding spouse agro).

Cons
Loses pairing if the battery level drops too low.
Easy to forget to turn off, and reconnect to the charger when finished using.
Not compatible with Logitechs Unified BT Minidongle. If you're using a Logitech Wireless KB/Mouse and the H600, then you will need space on your system for at least 2 BT Minidongles.

I also considered the H760 (didnt like the behind the head style) and the H800 (wasnt worth the then $20 price difference for an additional 10' of range), but they may well be worth your consideration.

In a nutshell, I'd get this headset again. Hope this has been helpfull

Respectfully. theDeacon
Because Sometimes You Just NEED a Gunslinger

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Good ventilation, and doesn't fully isolate the user from their surroundings (a feature very useful for avoiding spouse agro).

Poor noise isolation is a pretty big con for me, especially for a pair that costs as much as $60.

So far, in my investigations, it's looking like spending anything less than around $120 (AUD) will result in getting at least one aspect sub-par to the point of annoyance or distraction. Above that it seems like whatever you get is going to be pretty decent and satisfy most needs or wants.

Alan Shutko

Explorer
So far, in my investigations, it's looking like spending anything less than around $120 (AUD) will result in getting at least one aspect sub-par to the point of annoyance or distraction.

I'd agree with that even for wired headphones. Wireless ones have an additional wrinkle to take care of.

One question I have is how much noise isolation do you really want? There's a difference between good over-the-ear cans and in-ear monitors. With my in-ears, someone can be talking to me in a normal voice behind me and I don't notice.

Since nobody has mentioned it, check out Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles. They have an audiophile focus, but their reviews are pretty informative and will help you figure out what you want to trade off on non-stratospheric prices.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I'd agree with that even for wired headphones. Wireless ones have an additional wrinkle to take care of.

Ugh, the more I look into it, the more I realise that I'm probably going to have to spend around $300 to get anything even remotely decent. Disregard my $120+ statement. That was based on some faulty research that was dependant on some bogus pricing.

Basically, unless you're willing to tolerate a POC, anything below around $200 isn't even worth considering. And if you ARE willing to tolerate a POC, then you may as well just pick up the cheapest thing you can find 'cause none of the features will really make any impact or difference on your user experience.

In fact, this whole thing has turned me off the concept of buying any at all. I only need them for the few times when I'm suffering insomnia and can't have the volume up past whisper level for fear of pissing off my housemates. $300 isn't worth it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads