• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestion: Surprise gives advantage/disadvantage on initiative.

B.T.

First Post
I've seen some consternation regarding surprise giving a -20 penalty to initiative in several playtests so far, so my suggestion is simple: use the (dis)advantage mechanics on initiative checks. Those who have surprise either have advantage on their initiative roll, or those are surprised have disadvantage. I'd probably rule it that the players are the ones with the bonus/penalty, so it would vary in my own games (if players are surprised, they have disadvantage; if they are the ones doing the surprising, they have advantage).

Li Shenron

Legend
The problem with that is that very often the surprising party will still end up with a lower initiative.

This can happen with the -20 penalty, but it will be quite rare.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Interesting thought. And makes some sense, in that as it currently stands, taking someone unawares is no different than just reacting fast... when it seems like there should be more benefit than that. You go through all the effort of sneaking up on a guard for a surprise attack, and all you get out of it is a higher initiative (which there was a good chance you were going to get anyway even without the surprise.)

I think my feeling is that I would give Advantage to those who have Surprise, rather than Disadvantage to those who don't. I also think that for ease-of-use... I would couple it to giving +20 initiative to those with Surprise, rather than the current -20 to those without. This way... what ends up happening is that everyone rolls initiative at the start of combat, and those who got Surprise add the 20 to their roll, and gain Advantage for that first attack of the combat.

It is easiest to remember to give one side both things (+20 and Advantage) than it is to give things to both sides (-20 to those surprised and Advantage to those who have surprise).

Trance-Zg

First Post
I'm in the get standard action for surprise, then roll normal initiative checks camp.

also advantage for attacking surprised target.

RigaMortus2

First Post
The problem with that is that very often the surprising party will still end up with a lower initiative.

This can happen with the -20 penalty, but it will be quite rare.

But you don't roll "party initiative". Each player rolls their own initiative individually. So it makes sense that not everyone in the party may get the advantage of surprise.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Why not just have the surprising party act, then the surprised party, then roll initiative? That's how I've been playing it so far in the playtest.
But you don't roll "party initiative". Each player rolls their own initiative individually. So it makes sense that not everyone in the party may get the advantage of surprise.
DM: "The goblins don't see you."
Rogue: "I attack the leader with my sling!"
DM: "Roll initiative."
*everyone rolls*
DM: The goblins win initiative. They act first... even though you haven't come out of hiding yet... so they do... nothing?

Li Shenron

Legend

I know, but the problem still stands. You very often* get some of the surprised individuals act before the ambushers. It's still an advantage of course to roll 2 dice instead of one, and I can see that the game is still fun, but my guess is that on average it's probably not good enough for the ambushers, considering that they might already have had to make some stealth rolls to gain the surprise advantage.

*read: most of the times, if there are many creatures on both sides

Maybe it can be more fun, when the two groups regularly end up mixed up in initiative like normally, only mildly shifted away in terms of average initiative...

Deadboy

First Post
What if you award both advantage and disadvantage to the contest? Characters doing the surprising get advantage, those who are unsurprised roll normally and those who are surprised get disadvantage. I would think that a group of ambushers rolling two dice and keeping the best would most often win against a group rolling two dice and keeping the worst. Those that made their perception check against being surprised would roll normally.

There's still a chance that a lucky roll will cause a surprised party to go first, but it still feels less kludgy than the -20 mechanic.

Of course, I still think its best to give ambushers each an action and then roll normal initiative; but the advantage/disadvantage thing could work and I like it better than -20.

Remove ads