Suggestions for a high level build archer

neogod22

Explorer
Except to actually deal that damage you have to hit. Which a Bless-running EK does and a plain BM doesn't (as often).
Also, he could easily ask the cleric to bless him, he don't need to wear multiple hats, he needs to protect the casters

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Yunru

Banned
Banned
BM could use Precise Attack to counter the -5 penalty... d12 to get at least a 5. Doable.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
A limited number of times a day, sure. Precise Attack works for just one attack, whereas Bless lasts entire combats.
Also, he could easily ask the cleric to bless him, he don't need to wear multiple hats, he needs to protect the casters

Firstly, learn to edit posts. There's no need to post multiple posts in a row (normally), and it's generally considered spam to do so.

Secondly, For the cost of one level the Fighter doesn't depend on the Cleric, doesn't use the Cleric's resources (spell slots, actions), and also gains a bit of versatility (backup healer, if inefficient).

mellored

Legend
A limited number of times a day, sure. Precise Attack works for just one attack, whereas Bless lasts entire combats.
Bless also takes an action to cast and concentration to keep going. Not too much of a downside for an archer who can sneak up on enemies, pre-cast bless, and avoid most hits, but still a downside to be considered.

You could also have both.

Or go warlock 3 for darkness + devils sight. Advantage > bless, though not cheap for levels.

I'd just go straight EK. Get an owl for your 1st level out-school spell. You can get dancing lights and light to cast on bolts when darkness is a problem for your human on medium to long-range targets. At 18th level, I believe your slots are 4/3/3, so you've got shield, mirror image, and haste.

Ovarwa

Explorer
Hi,
Bless also takes an action to cast and concentration to keep going. Not too much of a downside for an archer who can sneak up on enemies, pre-cast bless, and avoid most hits, but still a downside to be considered.
And it's a big downside most of the time. So much analysis of what a character can do seems to focus on that character acting alone rather than as part of an adventuring party. What occurs more often in real play? If we agree that it's great for an archer to be Blessed, who should perform the Blessing? Maybe a Bard, Cleric or Favored Soul (as a bonus action!) rather than the Fighter. Except for the problem that the archer probably goes first due to his high Dex. Anyway, Ken

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Hi, And it's a big downside most of the time. So much analysis of what a character can do seems to focus on that character acting alone rather than as part of an adventuring party. What occurs more often in real play? If we agree that it's great for an archer to be Blessed, who should perform the Blessing? Maybe a Bard, Cleric or Favored Soul (as a bonus action!) rather than the Fighter. Except for the problem that the archer probably goes first due to his high Dex. Anyway, Ken
I mean, it's partially mitigated by Action Surge (almost completely at the highest levels), but I haven't done the maths to see which is more efficient. I'd assume the buff vs 3 attacks, but I don't know.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Or someone else blesses the fighter who then attacks and then action surges another set of attacks.

Sure, unless the Fighter outspeeds the Cleric, which is likely for a ranged build. Or there isn't a Cleric. Or the Cleric refuses to Bless you.

Take back the control, make archers great again!

mellored

Legend
I mean, it's partially mitigated by Action Surge (almost completely at the highest levels), but I haven't done the maths to see which is more efficient. I'd assume the buff vs 3 attacks, but I don't know.
Bless adds 12.5% more hits.

Assuming 60% base chance +10% archery - 25% sharpshooter = 45% chance to hit normally.

So it takes 3.6 additional action (+1 the initial action, round up to 5) actions for bless to surpass just attacking.
Action surge gives 1, so you need the battle to last 4 rounds for bless to be better.

Not worth it, if it's just for you. Particularly when you consider that damage now > damage late.

Now if you had 3 sharpshooters those 5 actions will go by much quicker.
Also save bonuses.

But really, you should always try and precast it.

neogod22

Explorer

Firstly, learn to edit posts. There's no need to post multiple posts in a row (normally), and it's generally considered spam to do so.

Secondly, For the cost of one level the Fighter doesn't depend on the Cleric, doesn't use the Cleric's resources (spell slots, actions), and also gains a bit of versatility (backup healer, if inefficient).
I don't need to edit :):):):), it ain't that serious.

Second, IDK how many high level games you've played in, but most trash mobs don't have a 20+ AC, and combat usually don't last longer than a few rounds, so an overly complicated build is not necessary. Hell, most bosses can be burned down pretty quickly once the party gets to them. As a warrior, having 3 chances to reroll failed saves will be more useful to the warrior's and in turn the casters survival. If you're doing it for roleplaying reasons, great, but if you're just trying to be the king of damage, that sounds stupid, but to each his own, do what you want.

Remove ads