• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Suggestions for Commune spell?

devincutler

Explorer
To be less flippant, I am not sure this is a proper question. Commune should be reserved for actual necessary resolutions and not as a faux newspaper interview of your deity.

As such, given that we have absolutely no information as to what is going on in your campaign or with your PC, how could we even begin to answer?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
What actions could I take to most further your cause? (ie - quest please)
Which prayers should I prepare to best further your cause? (ie - what should I memorise tomorrow)
What is the meaning of life?

faria

First Post
They have to be Yes/No questions though. The DM can choose to clarify the answer beyond just a "Yes" if it's not clear enough, but the questions themselves 100% have to be Yes/No according to RAW.

I was more looking for generally useful Yes/No questions. Especially since you have 3 questions total, and casting it for a specific reason might get you the answer you're looking for right on question #1, leaving 2 others for "freebies".

Any good ideas? How about interesting questions instead of just useful ones?

devincutler

Explorer
They have to be Yes/No questions though. The DM can choose to clarify the answer beyond just a "Yes" if it's not clear enough, but the questions themselves 100% have to be Yes/No according to RAW.

I was more looking for generally useful Yes/No questions. Especially since you have 3 questions total, and casting it for a specific reason might get you the answer you're looking for right on question #1, leaving 2 others for "freebies".

Any good ideas? How about interesting questions instead of just useful ones?

" In a case where a one-word answer could be misleading or contrary to the deity’s interests, the DM might offer a short phrase as an answer instead. "

So no, they don't have to be Yes or No questions.

But I stand by my initial contention that this spell should not be used in the way you are intending, to just drop into your deity and ask interesting questions.

It should be used to deal with a SPECIFIC problem that needs solving.

faria

First Post
So no, they don't have to be Yes or No questions.

"You contact your deity...and ask up to three questions that can be answered with a yes or no." Sounds like they must be worded to allow for the answer to be a yes or no.

Can I trust *insert NPC name*?
Are we on the right track?
Does our Quest lie to the *insert direction*?

I like these ones.

Some others I came up with:

"Are there any secret rooms in this dungeon/keep?"
"Does the BBEG have a weakness we can exploit?" or "Is the BBEG weak to X?"
"Can we safely take a short rest here?"
"Is there something hidden in this room?"
"Can I convince X to do Y?"
"Should I touch X?"
"Are there traps in the next room?"
"Will you grant me a boon in exchange for a service you require?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads