• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

suggestions for creating classes?

darbythegambler

First Post
I am having a contest with my DM to see who can make a better base class, he is making what he calls a Summoner, and I am making a Beast Tamer, only problem is..... we have no clue where to start. Can someone give us some ideas of how a Summoner base class and a Beast Tamer base class would be made? Thanks in advance for all with applicable ideas.

FEADIN

Explorer
There is indications in the DMG for creating or modifying classes, in the PHB II there is a breakdown for all classes and abilities, you can mix feats and powers from all classes to create something unique.

darbythegambler

First Post
we're judging which is best through a neutral 3rd party, they will use characters of both classes for a little bit for every level, and whatever class they decide was more fun to play as wins, they'll be judging based on how well the class does at it's own specialty and how well developed the general personality of the classes are, mainly it all boils down to balance and flavor

rgard

Adventurer
I am having a contest with my DM to see who can make a better base class, he is making what he calls a Summoner, and I am making a Beast Tamer, only problem is..... we have no clue where to start. Can someone give us some ideas of how a Summoner base class and a Beast Tamer base class would be made? Thanks in advance for all with applicable ideas.

Check out "Buy the Numbers":

Buy the Numbers - S.T. Cooley Publishing | EN World PDF Store

It's cheap and it should do the trick.

Thanks,
Rich

Dandu

First Post
Example of how I would do this: Summoner is a caster right? Good will save, d4 HD, either 2 or 4 skill points/level with the knowledge skills being a must. Diplomacy and handle animal would be flavorful, though not strictly necessary as summons obey you without question.

Give it the ability to cast spells as a bard, with lost of buffing spells and summon animal/monster spells, and some bonus feats for summoning related purposes, such as Rapid Summoning, Summon Elemental, and Augment Summoning. That should get the point across without actually breaking the game.

Do not let the summoner have access to either planar binding or gate. Ever.

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
1. Avoid "Dead levels": classes should gain something at every level.

2. Avoid obvious "jumping off points" where the natural reaction would be, rather than continuing to advance the class you're in, multiclassing into another class.

3. Design a class you would love to play as a player, not from a powergaming angle but from a "fun" angle.

4. Then, look over the class again with your "DM hat" on and ask yourself if anything about this class would make being a DM with one in the party a pain.

5. Pick a class that fills a similar niche and compare the classes, trying to make sure your class doesn't overshadow the existing class, while retaining its uniqueness and "fun factor".

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Is there much concern with how balanced the end results are? Or, so long as it's fun to play and not mind numbingly broken, you don't care? Just curious... Till I know, i'm going to work on the assumption that the Beast Tamer, which is likely a mostly noncasting class, should be equal to the Summoner being made in power. Sicne casters are quite strong in 3E, the Beast Tamer will NOT look balanced compared to say...Fighter.

For a Beast Tamer...I think the easiest starting point is to use the Ranger class's framework -- d8 HD, Fort and Ref as the good saves (same as animals get), full BAB, and a good amount of skill points. 4 + Int or 6 + Int, depending. Roughly the same class skill list, too.

A Beast Tamer should definitely have Wild Empathy, and probably get a bonus on it of some sort (+1/2 class level?). A few levels in, you can remove the -4 penalty for using Empathy on magical beasts. Animal Companion is another obvious thing to steal. Give them full Druid levels, not the Ranger's crappy 1/2 levels. At higher levels, allow more companions, and also expand the list to include low int magical beasts.

I think Beast Tamer's primary stats should be Str, Con, Cha, and (maybe) Dex. Most class features that involve an ability score should involve charisma.

Instead of spells per day, I like the idea of spell-like abilities since they're more "primal." Instead of fixed spells gained, give the BT a small spell list that he can choose to spontaneously cast his spell-like abilities from, sort of like how Factotum works... The spells would mostly be from the Druid and Ranger lists...I don't feel like searching for the best candidates right now.

You can also give the BT Bard/Marshal-like group buffing abilities, that only function on animals and magical beasts. Not just simple +x to hit stuff, though. Let him give creatures temporary usage of special attacks from the monster manual they may nto currently have. Like ordering a grizzly bear to pounce. Or giving a Hydra a rend attack. I don't know, might get broken, but it could be cool.

Other ideas:
Class feature that forces any low int creature trying to attack the Beast Master to make a will save or else heel and cease being aggressive towards him unless he does something to provoke the beast. Saving should make the beast immune to the effect for 24 hours.
Ability to train an animal and teach it tricks in a mere fraction of the normal time required.
Ability to teach animals more tricks than they could normally learn, and also teach "advanced tricks" beyond the scope of what an animal could normally be trained to do.
Expand the animal companion benefits to all allied beasts. At the very least, give Devotion to all of them...otherwise this class is a walking target for any enemy with will save spells...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads