• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestions for Cyberspace/V-World Game Mechanics/Ideas?

Jurble

First Post
Hey everyone,
im planning on at least 50% of my new setting relating to a global cyberspace network similar to william gibson style jacking in/matrix/V-world from Caprica.

Im looking for some resources to help me get ideas, world out the limitations of what ive planned out so far and work out how to stick mechanics to it!

Just hoping someone can point me in some direcitons?

Cheers for the help!!

Nesh

Jurble

First Post
no ideas?

I figured someone must have written a sourcebook for existing within cyberspace for some system or other but I havnt been able to find one? thought maybe someone with some broader experience might know?

[OMENRPG]Ben

First Post
You can check out Eclipse Phase, they have some rules for living in different shells of a body, and have a disassociation between the mind/soul and body/shell.

Also, the "easy" answer is take whatever system you like, say Star Wars Saga Edition, and have each player make two versions of their character, one who is living within the cyber world and the one that is in reality. The cyber character might be capable of far superior tactics/feats of ability or skill.

I'm sure there are lots of other great systems out there, but I can't think of any right now.

Jurble

First Post
You can check out Eclipse Phase, they have some rules for living in different shells of a body, and have a disassociation between the mind/soul and body/shell.

Also, the "easy" answer is take whatever system you like, say Star Wars Saga Edition, and have each player make two versions of their character, one who is living within the cyber world and the one that is in reality. The cyber character might be capable of far superior tactics/feats of ability or skill.

I'm sure there are lots of other great systems out there, but I can't think of any right now.

Hey thanks for the response ill check it out! Yah i definately considered that (having two character sheets one for wetspace one for cyberspace) but one thing ive run into is, im not sure how....static i want to make the cyberworld! If anyone has read Wheel of Time, Tel'aran'riod and dreamscapes fit in just as much to these ideas.

examples of settings which may fit what im looking for:
  • Wheel of Time - Tel'aran'riod (The invisible world/dream world)
  • The Matrix
  • Caprica - V World
  • Tron
  • William Gibson style cyberspace

Just made me think i should add dream worlds to my search. I guess im trying to find ideas for a fluid space where skills and abilities translate essentially from your "mental stats" or cohesion with that reality.

abstract i know :p Ill check out eclipse phase, but any suggestions for other systems that have done cyberspace/dreamspace well?

Havnt had any experience with the old wheel of time RPG, or how bout dreamscapes in D&D and other fantasy systems? did D20 future/modern ever touch on either? I dont have the sourcebooks but will see what I can find! :D

Again, any help would be amazing!

Janx

Hero
Just made me think i should add dream worlds to my search. I guess im trying to find ideas for a fluid space where skills and abilities translate essentially from your "mental stats" or cohesion with that reality.

actually, I suspect that's merely wishful thinking on the part of nerds.

In a video game, kids are good at halo, because they practice. The same reason jocks are good at football, and musicians are good at music.

With a near perfect linkup of brain to game world, somebody with actual fighting skills is going to have the same reflexes and muscle memory reactions that a nerd will not.

Therefore, it can be easily justifiied, that stat-wise, you are the same in v-space. Thus, you don't have to keepp 2 character sheets.

Obviously, you could rule in some exceptions. For instance, strength is influenced by game world physics, and just like halo, we all jump and run at the same speed. And people could change their avatar to improve their charisma.

For other prior game systems, consider:
ShadowRun and Cyberpunk 2020

Agamon

Adventurer
Like I said in the other thread, Savage Worlds with the Sci-Fi toolkit would be a great fit for what your looking for.

Jurble

First Post
Like I said in the other thread, Savage Worlds with the Sci-Fi toolkit would be a great fit for what your looking for.

I actually got my hands on a copy of this book and i wasnt able to find much about cyberspace? Ive only skimmed it so far though but couldnt find more than a qucik reference to cyberspace in it?

Agamon

Adventurer
I actually got my hands on a copy of this book and i wasnt able to find much about cyberspace? Ive only skimmed it so far though but couldnt find more than a qucik reference to cyberspace in it?

Sorry, I should have been more specific, it's the SF Gear Toolkit, there's 9 pages devoted to hacking cyberspace in it.

Remove ads