• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestions for homebrew items: I would love assistance

PureGoldx58

First Post
I'd like to start out by saying this is my first thread I've started and I would appreciate any brainstorming or help thoughtfully given.

So, I am starting up a campaign for 3.5 on the 18th and I am trying to come up with special items to give to two of the party members. I have already given one a map case that can be hidden by wearing it on your shoulder and a map that can transport you anywhere you will. The map is for the party but the case can hold other items and is for him alone. (To clarify by hidden I mean invisible, true seeing and the like will reveal it but nothing else.)

Here is the issue, I need to come up with two items of similar power to the map case but something that can't be obviously exploited like my only other idea (a knife that opens locked doors, inventive I know.) I have been looking for inspiration around and I can't seem to think of anything...This is completely unlike me as I have come up with millions of things since then and will be using them. ( I like home-brewed magic items)

The restrictions are they have to be rogue-like items in nature and have to be about the same level as the case, which is pretty specific and I guess that is what is killing me. Any suggestions would be amazing! Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

PureGoldx58

First Post
Those are good suggestions and I might default to those since extra storage space is invaluable at level 1. Any suggestions not bag related?

Empirate

First Post
A Silent Portal Disk, but usable at will?

A 1/day item allowing use of Swift Invisibility?

A knife made from a special magical alloy, which adapts to monsters, making each attack after the first deal half normal sneak attack damage to crit-immunes?

A voice-changer, which makes your voice sound like that of another person (you must 'record' that person's voice beforehand)?

Greenfield

Adventurer
Hat of Disguise isn't exactly home-brew, but it's incredibly useful for Rogue types, yet isn't game breaking even at 1st level.

BTW: a Map of Mass Teleport? That's game breaking, IMHO. I'm sure you have some limits in mind, but be prepared to enforce them.

How about boots that can alter their track, so they leave footprints of any size or shape?

A silk shirt of slipperyness, that gives bonuses to squeeze through tight spaces and/ore Escape Artist checks?

I know there's a monocle that grants Identify. Make it a jewler's loupe and give it a bonus on Appraise checks, specific to gems, jewelry, and small object d'art.

PureGoldx58

First Post
I know the map seems a bit much but it will help them get places, the world is huge and will mostly require them to go thousands of miles. I love all of these ideas. Thank you!

Remove ads