• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestions for non-fantasy rpgs

theskyfullofdust

First Post
Evenin' all

In the near future myself and my gaming group are looking to take a break from D&D and play something different; they've said they want something with guns and explosions, maybe sci-fi, cybepunk, something like that.

I have no idea what games are out these days, and trawling the net isnt' as productive as it should be.

I should also point out that with this group we play on-line for about 2-3 hours once a week, so the game would need to be able to deal with that.

So, fellow EN Worlders, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

A little more information might help.

Do they like crunchy rules (OK they play D&D, so probably)?

Do they like highly lethal combat?

Do they favour tactically detailed games, or vaguer ones?

Do they like carefully designed characters, or randomly generated ones?

Can you be a little more precise about the genre?

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020 sound like what you're looking for, but I'd actually suggest that you check out Paranoia first. ;)

Krensky

First Post
Well, systems for that...

Cyberpunk 2020 is the classic mirror shades and heavy metal cyberpunk game.
Mekton Z uses the same system (more or less) as the above and covers anime/mecha.
Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles two different settings using Silhoutte from Dream Pod 9, again, mecha oriented.
Spycraft 2.0 More then capable, but you'll need to do some lifting yourself, although the game's forum and wiki have a lot of resources.
M&M 2 as mentioned above, same with True20.
Eclipse Phase is the new hotness and critics darling (and deservedly so) but it's... somewhat esoteric unless you're a 'real' science fiction fan instead of a more casual on.
Traveller, the classic scifi RPG.

Verdande

First Post
I would like to recommend Mage: The Awakening. It was my other go-to game for a decent while, and it can be a good deal of fun, especially if you ignore all of the overly-dramatic neo-pagan elements and run it however you like. I had a fairly fun time with it when last I played it.

Also, I'd like to recommend Mutant Future from Goblinoid Games. It's a pretty sweet post apocalyptic roleplaying game. It's fairly different than what I'm used to, and I'll admit, it took a read or two for it to really "click."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Evenin' all

In the near future myself and my gaming group are looking to take a break from D&D and play something different; they've said they want something with guns and explosions, maybe sci-fi, cybepunk, something like that.
Games in the following list may contain fantasy elements, but are in no way D&D.
  1. HERO
  2. Mutants & Masterminds
  3. Traveller
  4. Paranoia
  5. Space:1889
  6. Deadlands
  7. Shadowrun
  8. World of Darkness games: Mage, Vampire, Werewolf & Scion are my faves, but all have interesting points.
  9. Godlike
  10. Call of Cthulhu
  11. Earthdawn
  12. Spycraft

Remove ads