• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestions for running an Artificer without Action Points?

FoxWander

Adventurer
My group is starting a new campaign and I've decided to play an Artificer. The DM is cool with the class but there might be a problem. The setting isn't Eberron so we don't have action points, and the DM doesn't want to add them to the game. Since action points in Eberron are one of the only ways an Artificer can speed up their sometimes quite lengthy casting times- this might be a problem for my character. I know I can take the Rapid Infusion feat when I hit 3rd level, and that will help a lot, but I'll still be at a slight disadvantage compared to an Artificer with action points.

I'm looking for some ideas, that my DM will go for, to help offset this slight imbalance. My character isn't going to be an over-the-top "Blastifer" as seems to be the norm with this class, so answers of "Tough noogies- Artificers are too powerful anyway" shouldn't really apply. I'm just looking for a way my character's infusions can help the party without having to hold up the action all the time, or just turning into a Blastifer because that's all I have time to do when we don't have several minutes to prep.

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas.

Deadguy

First Post
A couple of thoughts off the top of my head:

(1) Expensive components: something you buy to speed up some of the slow infusions. So as not to overpower the Artificer, the cost needs to increase reflecting both caster level equivalent and infusion level. Say CL x Infusion Level x 10gp. Negotiate.

(2) Blood Magic: speeding up casting requires the use of the Artificer's own blood. Say Caster Level points of damage each time. It can be healed but it makes the artificer vulnerable at the time of casting.

(3) Soul Magic: the artificer gives up a little of his soul to work magic fast, costing Experience Points. Not quite sure what would be appropriate.

(4) Fortune's Reserve: while not actual Action Points, perhaps an Artificer can have a few pseudo-APs, solely for this purpose. Since they are focused, perhaps 1 + Artificer level. They might even be cumulatable, since they are very narrow in use.

Well, there are some ideas to chat to your DM about. Hope it helps.

tanis

First Post
Maybe you and your DM can work out something like taking some of the infusions and decreasing the casting time if that is what you are really worried about. I also do not see why you would want an artificer, they're great for repairing warforged and other constructs, and making magic items and have only simple weapons to use. :\ it would be great if you made yourself several constructs to control and use thier brawn to bash people over the head. (if you are interested in such than you might want to check out DRAGON #341 at paizo.com, it contains 5 cheap yet useful golems, the tin golem can even take craft skills to help you build more death machines :D ).

Aust Diamondew

First Post
FoxWander said:
I know I can take the Rapid Infusion feat when I hit 3rd level, and that will help a lot, but I'll still be at a slight disadvantage compared to an Artificer with action points.

And my [insert any class here] with out action points will be at a disadvantage compared to a [insert any class here] with action points.
I don't know much about artificers but there seems to be a fundamental flaw to your argument.

If it absolutely does need some sort of fixing consider something to increase infusion casting speed a number of times a day equal to your intelligence modifier.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Scrolls.
Lots and lots of scrolls.
You can scroll up all your common infusions and use them as a standard action. You even get extra XP to let you do that without a real penalty.

Deadguy

First Post
ValhallaGH said:
Scrolls.
Lots and lots of scrolls.
You can scroll up all your common infusions and use them as a standard action. You even get extra XP to let you do that without a real penalty.
Well, strictly if you are following Eberron rules, you cannot create scrolls of Infusions. Furthermore, per the Main D&D FAQ:
SRD said:
Activating any magic item is a standard action, unless the item duplicates a spell effect that has a longer casting time or unless the item description specifies a different casting time. The sections on spell completion and spell trigger items should include the caveat that activating the item takes as long as casting the stored spell would take.
So even just allowing scrolls of infusions wouldn't alter the casting time. :(

FoxWander

Adventurer
Some good ideas here. Unfortunately scrolls won't help. And permanently lowering the casting times would probably too much in my favor. It would need to be something I can't do all the time or so many times per day it amounts to 'all the time'.

After posting I thought of something like Deadguy's "Fortune's Reserve" myself, but haven't had a chance to talk to my DM about it. I think she'll be more likely to go for a "Blood Magic" type of thing. Pseudo-action points could be too much of a free ride, but if it were something that cost me a lot to use, she'd probably agree to it. I'll see what she thinks of 1dX damage (d4? d6? maybe non-lethal?) to speed up a spell beyond the 1xday that Rapid Infusion allows(which I will be taking next level). Maybe with an increasing cost per extra use per day, 1d the first time, 2d the second. That way I'll have the option, but it'll be a tactical decision to decide to take it.

Thanks everyone!

Remove ads