Suggestions for speeding up our 4e game

frankthedm

First Post
1. Have players sit in order of initiative bonus & either add 10 to their bonus or make one roll for the group. The players then act in that order.

2. Encourage players to decide what they will do before their turns come up. They are supposed to be 6 second rounds.

3. Look it up before you turn comes up.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/206919-handling-large-group.html

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4t...-up-game-d-d-4th-edition-slowing-me-down.html

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/223062-my-group-too-big.html

EDIT: How many Copies of the PHB does the group have? Players should not be passing the book and flipping to their classes on each player's turn. if this is happening, go make some photocopies before the next sesion.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
A 5-6 person combat should take 45-75 minutes, in general. Things we do to keep our combats quick:

- Use initiative cards. I always announce the next three people, saying "Lucas is up, then Cobalt, then the monsters, then Stron." The players know to have their attacks ready when their turn comes up.

- Roll the dice before you look up the modifier. Often times the number is high or low enough that you don't even need to worry about the modifier.

- Roll attacks and damage at the same time.

- Make sure everyone has their normal modifiers pre-recorded. I've seen people who calculate their bonus every time, and it a maddening time-waster.

- Likewise, consider power cards, as they can be placed aside after being used. It helps reduce analysis paralysis.

- DM prep. Have your monsters ready, either copied out of the Compendium and printed, or marked by sticky notes on the correct MM pages.

- Unless a PC's life is at stake, never have the DM stop the game to look up a rule. Have another player look it up while the DM goes on to the next person, then come back to the original player once you know the answer.

- Make players responsible for remembering their conditions, both good and bad. The 4e Battlebox has markers that help with this.

- Pre-draw complicated battlemaps.

- Read stalker0's http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/254630-stalker0s-guide-anti-grind.html

- Minimize off-topic table talk! This is really important, and will get easier as the combats get faster (because people won't get bored.)

malraux

First Post
Not going to happen. Although the daughter of one of the players has offered to drop out. Although I think we want to be as inclusive as possible so this is not an option. Is the game really going to break down with 7 over 5 though?

Assuming that the time involved is a strictly linear function of the number of players, which i don't believe, 7 players will take 40% longer per combat. If there's a higher order effect, then it gets worse even faster.

vagabundo

Adventurer
- Minimize off-topic table talk! This is really important, and will get easier as the combats get faster (because people won't get bored.)

I give the players 5-10 mins OT (off-topic) time every hour or so. Things that happen during the game spark jokes and that generally leads to non-gaming stuff, I let it run for a while - because they are all funny guys and it is suppose to be fun - but then when it starts to veer off I tell them to "save it for OT". Works a treat, everyone stays focused for the 50 mins. Everybodies 'appy.

Jack99

Adventurer
What I do (along with most of the suggestions posted by PC) is to simply announce who is next, and if he doesn't state anything within a short amount of time, I start counting down from 10. If I get to 0, he forfeits his turn this round.

Works fairly well.

We have an initiative board. (Since I read about initiative card). One player manages it, and calls out whose turn is next.

I suppose I really really really recommend preparing character sheets and power cards. You don't have to use "real" cards. You can just print them on a few extra sheets, like from the Character Builder. Ensure that the stats are filled in and everything is calculated. The only thing to keep in memory then are any buffs or ongoing effects.

Beyond that, it's all in the reflexes... Err, I mean it is all about understanding the current game situation and figure out which of your list of options works best.
It might help to analyze the situation first and then check which options would apply. (For example, if you see that the Rogue has no flanking partner yet, figure out how to give him one. If there is a melee brute not in melee, think about if you have an ability that let's you keep him there, neutralizing him for a round or so. If there is a melee brute or soldier in melee, consider how to get him out of there. if there is an Artillery monster around, consider how to take it down so it stops laying waste to the party. If there is a character in big trouble, figure out what option will help you to get out of there. Depending on your character, you should know whether you can actually help in a given situation. "Hmm, I am a Fighter. I probably can't immobilize the brute and then run away. So maybe I should help the Rogue with his flanking partner? Or engage some of those that hammer our Cleric?"

It might not be a bad idea if at least someone in the group is constantly paying attention and helps others make their decisions faster. Unless you don't like other players giving suggestions. (Of course, that player should give actually good suggestions. ;) )

Hereticus

First Post
This will improve with DM familiarity of the material (encounter, monsters and mechanics), and player familiarity with their own characters abilities and powers.

That's what worked for us.

What level were the characters, and for how long was your group playing?

jbear

First Post
My group is large as well (7 or 8 players usually).

Combats are slow. Most of my players are totally new to RPG.

As an incentive to act quickly, even at the risk of making a tactical mistake, I turn a minute sand timer. If the player finishes their turn before the sand runs out they receive a bonus of 2xp. I keep a side note of who aquires the bonus points. The bump in xp in the end is minor but there is an urgency each time someone begins their turn now.

I have also offered personal 'tutorials' to each player outside of play. I go through their characters abilities and I explore how they can make the most of each power tactically in varying situations. I haven't seen the fruit of this as yet. Hopefully as the game continues to progress, their game agility will increase as well.

Sadrik

First Post
A 5-6 person combat should take 45-75 minutes, in general. Things we do to keep our combats quick:
Excellent ideas!
- Use initiative cards. I always announce the next three people, saying "Lucas is up, then Cobalt, then the monsters, then Stron." The players know to have their attacks ready when their turn comes up.
We did this last game, it seemed to help a bit.
- Roll the dice before you look up the modifier. Often times the number is high or low enough that you don't even need to worry about the modifier.
Agreed, excellent idea.
- Roll attacks and damage at the same time.
That is a great idea, for whatever reason in 3e I did this but in 4e I don't, perhaps because I am rolling different damage dice every round. I wonder if we could get compliance...
- Make sure everyone has their normal modifiers pre-recorded. I've seen people who calculate their bonus every time, and it a maddening time-waster.
We have this taken care of on the character sheets.
- Likewise, consider power cards, as they can be placed aside after being used. It helps reduce analysis paralysis.
I use them for the first time last session but there is an aversion to the concept of cards at the table. Anti-MtG sentiment, I guess. Still several of us have the sheets of cards printed out just not cut out.
- DM prep. Have your monsters ready, either copied out of the Compendium and printed, or marked by sticky notes on the correct MM pages.
DM prints them out and has sheets that he prepares with HP and stuff to mark off as the combat ensues.
- Unless a PC's life is at stake, never have the DM stop the game to look up a rule. Have another player look it up while the DM goes on to the next person, then come back to the original player once you know the answer.
This is also happening already. Many times the rules are looked up either after game or by another player (often me) as we play.
- Make players responsible for remembering their conditions, both good and bad. The 4e Battlebox has markers that help with this.
We use colored disks and little numbered things to indicate which monster is which. These add some added effort to get right as we are move disks around and moving the little numbers with the monster minis
- Pre-draw complicated battlemaps.
He usually draws the maps when we play but I was allowed to draw the arena once...
I perused through it once before perhaps I will take another look and send it tot he DM.
We may be guilty of this a bit, we often make jokes and laugh a lot at the table. It is fun for the first hour of combat but then player fatigue sets in and then we all look haggard waiting for our action and taking our turn, not to mention the night is wearing on and it is getting later in the night too :p.

I use them for the first time last session but there is an aversion to the concept of cards at the table. Anti-MtG sentiment, I guess. Still several of us have the sheets of cards printed out just not cut out.
You can use tokens to mark which powers are still available or expended. You can do the same for second wind or action points.

I just thought - I think I should make up a condition sheet for our own game... At least for myself. ;)

Remove ads